How long for your 4.0L to warm up to 195F/730rpm? - JeepForum.com
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 40 Old 03-10-2019, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
soyjer

How long for your 4.0L to warm up to 195F/730rpm?

Idling from a cold (50F) start, it takes my 1999 4.0L 7 minutes to reach 195F (1/2 of a hash mark below the 210F hashmark) and 730rpm (needle slightly below the hashmark that is below "1" on the tach).

How long does it take YOUR 4.0L to warm up to 195F/730rpm?

I've been told that 7 minutes is WAY too long, and yet my thermostat appears to be fine (not stuck open), because the heater hose gets too hot to hold onto in 7 minutes, whereas the upper radiator hose stays completely cold for 7 minutes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 03-10-2019, 07:27 PM
tyvanwie

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I’d be surprised if mine warms up that quickly and it’s a 93. 7 minutes doesn’t seem too long to me. Tonight when I get off work I will actually time it and report back.
post #3 of 40 Old 03-10-2019, 08:10 PM
2oldjeeps
2000 XJ Cherokee 

? time?...3 miles slow driving, or less...
TheBoogieman and wichol98 like this.

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles

post #4 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 06:02 AM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

It warms up faster if you drive it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers/Black Magic brakes
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
post #5 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 07:06 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBoogieman View Post
It warms up faster if you drive it.
Yes. And 7 minutes would seem great to me.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Warm-up time will vary with ambient air temp and whether it's idling or running down the road. 7 minutes is well within the ballpark on cold days. (Note: If you have a block heater or other method for pre-heating the motor it will come up to operating temps much faster).
post #7 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 02:04 PM
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Not sure about straight idle time, but it takes a little over 3 minutes at 25 MPH for me, and that's without any fans going as mine are electric and don't come on until 195F.
post #8 of 40 Old 03-11-2019, 04:43 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I am totally confused as to the usefulness of data about the warm up time, but was intrigued enough to roughly time my 1998. Today it was 30 and when I started the engine the idle rpm's began to fall within one minute after starting. With careless disregard for the consequences, I put the AW-4 into gear, and drove off, as I have for the past 17 years of XJ ownership. I drove about 30 mph on city streets and the temp gauge began to rise after about 3 minutes. At about 5-6 minutes of driving the gauge had risen to about 195.
TheBoogieman and downs like this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #9 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
soyjer

Thanks...mine is starting at 50F, but my results are similar. I still need to know how long it takes to reach ~730rpm idle speed, though. I THINK that idle speed continues to lower slowly as temp rises slowly, and they finally both simultaneously reach 195F/730rpm....I think this is how the PCM is programmed.

My obsession with this is because my XJ has a clunk/lurch problem that even veteran Jeep Master Technicians and expert professional transmission technicians cannot figure out. Complete rebuild of transmission didn't faze the problem at all. Just grasping at straws, at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I am totally confused as to the usefulness of data about the warm up time, but was intrigued enough to roughly time my 1998. Today it was 30 and when I started the process of engine the idle rpm's began to fall within one minute after starting. With careless disregard for the consequences, I put the AW-4 into gear, and drove off, as I have for the past 17 years of XJ ownership. I drove about 30 mph on city streets and the temp gauge began to rise after about 3 minutes. At about 5-6 minutes of driving the gauge had risen to about 195.
post #10 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 11:29 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

As was suggested previously in your transmission rebuild thread, the AW-4 is a very firm shifting transmission, and 18 or more years of usage has put some wear on the differential. Clunking Chrysler axles are nothing new.

In my opinion, all of this falls under : If it ain't broke, don't fix it. YMMV.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #11 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
soyjer

https://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1146705

I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, because I have no other XJ's around to compare to, I am having to rely on professionals and forums to tell me what is normal for an XJ. All of them agree that my clunk/lurch is abnormal and damaging, and not anything other than the transmission, and yet extensive transmission work and analysis finds nothing. I even bought my own line pressure gauge, just to make sure that it isn't a line pressure problem...desperation.
The best clue to the source of the problem is that if I shift to reverse before drive, especially when cold, then sometimes it won't clunk. It NEVER clunks into reverse, btw. Idle is 730rpm.
post #12 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 12:49 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer View Post

I appreciate your help. Unfortunately, because I have no other XJ's around to compare to, I am having to rely on professionals and forums to tell me what is normal for an XJ. All of them agree that my clunk/lurch is abnormal and damaging, and not anything other than the transmission, and yet extensive transmission work and analysis finds nothing. I even bought my own line pressure gauge, just to make sure that it isn't a line pressure problem...desperation.
The best clue to the source of the problem is that if I shift to reverse before drive, especially when cold, then sometimes it won't clunk. It NEVER clunks into reverse, btw. Idle is 730rpm.
Drive...will be in the same torsional direction as the normal rotation of the input. Reverse will at some point create torque in the opposite direction. That MAY indicate a loose/worn torque control arm, or perhaps a worn/loose u-joint in the driveline. Something has just enough play to give you that clunk.

I suppose you could firmly support the rear axle/frame on jacks and closely observe the driveline/tranny while someone shifts? But do chain or tie it down in case it hops the jacks, and leave yourself survival space underneath!
post #13 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 03:07 PM
TheBoogieman
Disturbed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyjer View Post

Mine has been doing the same thing since I bought it 30,000 miles ago. I stopped worrying about it 20,000 miles ago.
downs likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/LoD bumpers/Black Magic brakes
Desert Sand 99' XJ Classic (JEEP #18) ) 5" BDS lift / HP30/ 8.25/ 33x12.50" DC Extreme Country/Tactik black satin wheels.
post #14 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 03:50 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

My 1998 XJ has +284,000 miles on the original axles and transmission. It clunks. Pausing in NEUTRAL for about 15 seconds when shifting between Forward and Reverse reduces the clunking. I suppose that the pause allows the one or both of the following; the idle to drop slightly and/or the transmission internal pressure to drop slightly.

Pausing or not, and regardless of the idle speeds, I don't really worry about any of my current 3 Cherokees having AW-4 transmission issues. I jump in, start up, and drive off, below zero temps or above zero. The AW-4 is well known to be sturdy and extremely long lasting transmission if you use the Service Manual specified Dexron-III/Mercon fluid and change it regularly.

The XJ unibody transmits noises very well, and any mileage/age related wear in the drive-line, engine/trans mounts, or differential that creates noises, is amplified.

post #15 of 40 Old 03-12-2019, 06:07 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I hope you didn't have the trans rebuilt just because of the clunk. Trans rebuilds/remans don't have a stellar track record. Something like 33 percent of reman transmissions fail within a year or some crazy number like that.
TheBoogieman likes this.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in