How does a starter work? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 18 Old 01-10-2010, 08:34 PM
Otahyoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magus2727 View Post
well looks like i still have problems...

as it stands right now

Other Wires:
1 remote solenoid attached to small post connecting into ford OEM connector(found in MAFS bundle)

Positive Wires:
1/0 AWG battery to Alt
4 AWG Battery to Solenoid on Alt (side with out the braided cable)
4 AWG battery to fuse box

Negative Wires:
1/0 AWG battery to body (by washer fluid, gorund down quarter size area to bare metal)
4 AWG battery to Starter/Transmission Bolt (located on the bottom most bolt)
6 AWG battery to front of head (utilizing a threaded hole under the oil cap on Head)

I am still not getting it to start. It clicks, but does not sound like it is engaging. It has been tested by two different locations (different stores) as to be good the second time was connected to my wiring.

Only difference is that I don't have the Alt daisy chained to go Batt --> Starter -->Alt.
What do you mean here? I'm pretty sure the charging wire goes from the alt to the B terminal and to the battery though the battery cable.

Thanks for all the advice Thus far!
You're very welcome.
The bold part is telling me that it is not getting enough power.

Being tested good at 2 different stores, i would believe them.

It sounds to me like you got your wiring good. Maybe try a different battery for kicks? Also make sure your battery connections are clean (i'm sure they are but it never hurts to be sure).

~Chris
Quote:
And all of the diodes may have committed suicide, leaving you with a fun whirly thing under the hood that produces nothing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 18 Old 01-10-2010, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Magus2727

1995 XJ Cherokee 

I have brand new Monster Performance Car Gold Plated solid brass battery posts on a optima Yellow that have clean posts.

The car use to have one wire some what daisy chained, It was one 4-5 foot 'ish length of 6 gauge (from what I can tell) that had a 1" section cut in the middle with a special crimp ring. it then connected the Battery's positive to both the Starter and the Alt in one cable. I removed this and ran 1/0 from battery to Alt and 4 AWG from batt to Starter.

I will try my red top. I also had jumper cables to the battery with the jeep running and got the same results. I am going to get a multi meter on it tomorrow afternoon/evening and will see what the voltages are at the solenoid and the battery when cranking.

NAXJA Member #2619

1995 Jeep Sport Cherokee 4x4 with an Auto and 4.0L
B&M Transmission Cooler and Autometer Tranny Temp Gauge, Ruff Stuff Diff Cover on D30.
Taraflex 1.5" BB (rear shackle only), HD Quadratec leaf springs, RE 3.5" front springs, OME Long shocks, JKS Adjustable Track Bar from K.O.R.
Daystar Control Arm Bushings, Bushwhacker Flairs, Rhino lining along bottom trim, AGR PS pump with Cooler & Filter.
Bored TB, APN Manifold, New Downpipe, Magnaflow High Flow Cat, Flowmaster Super 44.
Dual Oil Relocation Kit running two K&N301 size filters, Autometer Digital Cobalt Oil Temp and Oil Pressure Gauge.
post #18 of 18 Old 02-27-2010, 12:32 AM
autoposer
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Just changed my starter in my 2000 XJ for the first time. The instructions in the box said to make sure and align the starter (using a screw driver). I didn't see how this was possible with the bell housing cover in place so I just put it on as is and it has started fine several times. Did I get lucky or is alignment of the starter motor with the flywheel not an issue?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in