Hooker BlackHeart Cat-back exhaust - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-13-2020, 12:05 PM Thread Starter
Adebisi
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Hooker BlackHeart Cat-back exhaust

Hi, has anybody been running the Hooker BlackHeart Cat-back exhaust on a XJ or TJ?

I can't find any reviews or much info on it for a 4.0. I was looking for a stainless option and this one looks nice but I'm a bit afraid it could be a bit loud. Anyone got some experiences and/or some comparison?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-15-2020, 08:07 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
It's not really a well-known exhaust system, so there probably aren't many people running it. I can tell you from looking at their site it appears to be a knock-off Magnaflow muffler (a smaller one) and the site lists the sound as moderate/aggressive so it will probably be fairly loud.

XJs and TJs don't have much for sound deadening inside, and they also have very simple exhaust systems (no additional resonators like newer cars).

How is the condition of the rest of your exhaust? I can say the most mellow sounding exhaust I had on my XJ was a 18" long Magnaflow oval muffler and a stock 2.25" system. It had a rumble but wasn't annoying.

For an entire exhaust replacement, Borla is known to be fairly quiet with a low rumble, but they can also get expensive. Magnaflow or Borla systems are probably the most reserved, and anything else will likely be quite a bit louder. I looked on Quadratec and they have cat-back systems from OMIX that resemble the stock factory system. I will probably go with that once my TJ exhaust rots off. Even at the young age of 30, I'm done with loud annoying exhausts like I had on my XJs.

0331 head swap DIY:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Build" thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #3 of 4 Old 07-16-2020, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Adebisi
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy03 View Post
It's not really a well-known exhaust system, so there probably aren't many people running it. I can tell you from looking at their site it appears to be a knock-off Magnaflow muffler (a smaller one) and the site lists the sound as moderate/aggressive so it will probably be fairly loud.

XJs and TJs don't have much for sound deadening inside, and they also have very simple exhaust systems (no additional resonators like newer cars).

How is the condition of the rest of your exhaust? I can say the most mellow sounding exhaust I had on my XJ was a 18" long Magnaflow oval muffler and a stock 2.25" system. It had a rumble but wasn't annoying.

For an entire exhaust replacement, Borla is known to be fairly quiet with a low rumble, but they can also get expensive. Magnaflow or Borla systems are probably the most reserved, and anything else will likely be quite a bit louder. I looked on Quadratec and they have cat-back systems from OMIX that resemble the stock factory system. I will probably go with that once my TJ exhaust rots off. Even at the young age of 30, I'm done with loud annoying exhausts like I had on my XJs.
Thanks, the engine is running close to stock, I'm planning to replace the catalytic converter with a MagnaFlow 23226. When I was looking underneath I saw that my Crown cat-back exhaust, that I replaced 3 years ago already totally rusted trough due the salty winters, therefor looking into a stainless option.

I could be happy with a deeper tone like for example a Dynomax 17340 but don't want it loud. I will check out the Magnaflow and Borla ones. I did found a video of a Pypes exhaust that looks close to the Hooker one as comparison, hard to tell on video but it might sounds a bit too much also.

post #4 of 4 Old 07-16-2020, 08:21 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Yeah it's hard to tell from the video but they mention it has an "aggressive tone". The best stock-sounding setup I've seen so far is on my buddy's ZJ we put on a Walker Quiet-flow SS muffler which is stainless steel, and then just bought a stock tail pipe and painted it with a few coats of high heat paint. It seems to be holding up well so far after 3 salty winters.

Here is the part number for the Walker Quiet-flow SS muffler that would fit the XJ: WALKER 21357
And a stock tail pipe: DAVICO 475237

0331 head swap DIY:

"Build" thread:

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in