Here's a good "Thats not a real JeeP" story... - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 02:55 PM Thread Starter
JEEPIUS

Exclamation Here's a good "Thats not a real JeeP" story...

...last night I went to work, when I got there I was the only one there. The gaurd told me it was a "holiday" and no one was working. I have heard of "holidays" but up until now have never actually seen one.

Well on my days off I have been staying up all night to try to get used to the night shift schedule, I did not want to go home so I milled about and later in the evening( actually early morning) I went down to where I used to work and talked to the gaurd there whom I am sort of friends with. He has an Escape, and my wife and I were thinking of getting one for her in lieu of a company car the last time she got one. He started asking why I got a XJ and not an Escape. I told him it was for me and I wanted something with more off-road ability. He laughed and said how the Cherokees weren't off-road vehicle and they weren't "real" JeeP's etc...then the final straw came when he said "this thing{his Escape}can go anywhere that can go" I said OK prove it and made arrangements for him to meet me at a right of way (the dirt roads that run along utilities like gas and power lines) that was near by and we would make a MudRun!!!
Well I knew that this would not be pretty, especially considering that his Escape has aftermarket wheels with get this, BFGoodrich T/A Radial!!! a regular street tire. To prepare for this I went by my former brother in laws and got some stuff. I picked up 2 shovels,a towstrap, mats made of chain link fence, 2 high lifts and this cool winch he had that is on a mount that you can put into a hitch receiver. I quess it pays to know a farmer.

When he got there I said that he should tie the strap to his front tow hook (I was surprised it even had one!) and loop the rest inside so he could throw it to me if needed, he said I should tie it to my XJ because he would be pulling me out

Well needless to say things divolved from there, we were less than 100 feet in when he had his first stuck, he claimed he had not gotten into 4wd properly???? (Escapes don't have a transfer case!!! ) In a stretch of about 1 1/2 mile I pulled him out 6 times, one of which I had to winch him straight first because he slid sideways, then got high centered on a downed power pole.(yikes )

Well anyhow when we finally finished he did concede that the XJ was more capable then he thought, but he did also say that if he had the same tires I had he would have walked away from me in the muck.

Scott

Last edited by JEEPIUS; 07-06-2004 at 02:57 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 03:01 PM
zAgNutBaR
Only in a Jeep!

2011 JK Wrangler 

pictures

I would love to have seen pictures. but this is a beautiful story.
post #3 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
JEEPIUS

Hey Zag, I suffer from that common ailment....

Quote:
Originally Posted by zAgNutBaR
I would love to have seen pictures. but this is a beautiful story.
..the never have a camera when you need one syndrome. Like the time a UFO landed in front of me and Elvis and Emelia Earhart got our!!!!

I don't even own a real camera let alone a digi-cam, I do however carry a disposable in most of my vehicles, oops forgot to put one in the JeeP!

Scott

post #4 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 03:10 PM
fishanjeep

hahahha the funny part about that story is my friend just got a escape and said my jeep isnt a real jeep and he could go off road but we havent tried any thing yet ahhaha thats great hahaha
post #5 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 03:11 PM
Osteonis

2008 KK Liberty 

Yeah because the only things that make jeeps capable is the tires, and we all know that all XJ owners run BFGoodrich.

My brother has an escape and he dares not go where I have been going with my jeep, he gets stuck on the street in the winter time.

99 XJ Sport
Stock
I6
5spd
Class III Hidden Hitch
235/75/15
Bumper Mounted Fogs
post #6 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
JEEPIUS

The thing is I like Escapes...

...they are great CARS !!!!

Scott
post #7 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 03:49 PM
dcdude

I hate when people say that

if i say i have a jeep adn they ask what kind, i saw a cherokee and then they think its not a "real" jeep

ignorant *****
post #8 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 04:06 PM
Sterling90XJ

Jeepius wrote:

Well anyhow when we finally finished he did concede that the XJ was more capable then he thought, but he did also say that if he had the same tires I had he would have walked away from me in the muck.

Aren't the new Fords still the same bolt pattern as our XJs? I say swap him tires and make a second run at it, just to drive home the facts.

post #9 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 04:09 PM
getoffmylawn23

I've gotten that too. My response is usually, "ok."
post #10 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
JEEPIUS

We could of but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling90XJ
Aren't the new Fords still the same bolt pattern as our XJs? I say swap him tires and make a second run at it, just to drive home the facts.

I was not about to run through on the T/A's!!!!

Scott
post #11 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 08:09 PM
Helicop

Man, that sounds sweet.

And I've also had the "that's not a real Jeep,"... but he wasnt willing to put his Oldsmobile Bravada up against it :P:P:P..

I told one of my friends that I was putting a lift in my Jeep, he said "what do you need a lift for in Michigan?", I replied "cause I wanna be able to go through deeper snow w/o getting caught on *****"... He had the nerve to tell me a front wheel drive car could go better through snow than my Jeep. This winter I'm taking pictures of stuck cars! (sending them to him)

1992 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4X4 4.7 Litre HO
---4.7L Stroked, Cammed, Bored .060---
--- 3" RUSTY'S/MISC BB LIFT---
---30X9.5 Firestone Destination Mud-Terrains---
---62mm Bored TB---
---High Flow Cat & Flowmaster 50 Delta---
---Pacesetter Armor Coat Header---
---Misc. Engine Mods---
---Overhead Light Bar---

___--==Helicop==--___
Under 21 Member #24
post #12 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 09:05 PM
ChiTown'01XJ

Escapes suck. just look at one from the rear and laugh at the suspension. there's no way i'd ever consider buying one, and especially not wheelin' one.

Blue Jeep Club Member #73
'01 XJ Sport

235/75/15 BFG All Terrain T/A KO, C4X4 tow hooks, rear hitch, 2 x 55 Bosch Lights, Cobra 19+ (waiting on antenna)

"Let's do it in the dirt"
post #13 of 26 Old 07-06-2004, 09:46 PM
Axman

Most people don't realize that the CJ and the Wranglers share the same drivelines as the Cherokees.

Then on the other side there are the people with non-Jeeps who refer to their vehicles as "Jeeps"! This ticks me off more than anything. I know someone who has a Suzuki Samuri who calls it a "Jeep". What an idiot!!!!!
post #14 of 26 Old 07-07-2004, 01:23 AM
MadDogXJ

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Ya this "Security" guy has bigger ballz then brains.

Axman: I hat that too when idiots call their CAR like suv's and other crap "Jeeps". Stupid [email protected][email protected]

Sure when they get stuck they are happy to get help. LOL
I love driveing in the snow. I live in BC and it can snow here man. Last time it did some fools tried to drive to work at 20-30Kph I wiped by them at 50K (thats city drivin speed limit). They probably though I'm a idiot and will kill someone. All I have to do is remember I need more distance to stop on snow.

The meaning to life is to live, So Go Live....Offroad :o)

1998 Cherokee, 2 Door, Black.
4.0 L Power Plant, NP231 Transfer Case
32" BFG All Terrain Tires on 15"x7" "Grizzy" Jeep wheels
Helix TB Spacer with K&N Replacement filter.
C4x4 Rear Bumper/Tire Carrier with hitch and towhooks :)
DPG Rock Attack XJ Gas Tank Skid Plates
RE 4.5" lift - With 1" 5/8 Spacer up front, and 1" Spacer and 3/8 shim in back. So over 6" of lift.
post #15 of 26 Old 07-07-2004, 02:36 AM
thephantum

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axman
Then on the other side there are the people with non-Jeeps who refer to their vehicles as "Jeeps"!
The worst one I saw was a Kia Sportage with a "Jeep" tire cover...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in