help my cherokee sport dies - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
hippyblonde
1999 XJ Cherokee 

help my cherokee sport dies

I have a 1999 Cherokee sport it keeps losing power, I can be driving and it will lose power and stall, I can be idling and it dies, I have taken it to 3 mechanics who charged me a lot of money and it is still not fixed, I have had the fuel pump replaced and the throttle position sensor replaced and the neutral safety switch replaced, I don't trust mechanics anymore, and the problem is getting worse thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 04:56 PM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Is your check engine light on? If so, post the exact codes here for comment (not just a description).

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
post #3 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 06:17 PM
foreveryoung001
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I would go back to all three mechanics and demand my money back. You paid them to solve a problem that wasn't solved. Paying a mechanic to throw parts at a problem is even worse than doing the work yourself.

As for figuring out your problem, I would start with the basics. How do your plugs look? Do they need to be replaced? Are they gapped at .35? Are you getting a good spark? Then I would check fuel pressure. Just because they put in a new pump, doesn't mean they did it correctly, or that it wasn't a bad pump that they replaced it with. Check the actual fuel pressure at the rail. Check your air filter. I've done hours worth of troubleshooting on vehicles, only to realize I had a nasty dirty air filter that was causing all my grief... And while you're checking your air filter, see if your throttle body needs to be cleaned.

I would also take it to a parts store that will read your codes for free, and as tjwalker suggested, post the codes you get. There may be stored codes that are not causing the CEL to come on, so its always good to get the codes read when troubleshooting a problem.

Once you get past the basics, if the problem isn't identified, we can start narrowing it down further. Its pointless to keep throwing parts at it though, hoping that it "might" be whats causing your issues.

post #4 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 06:22 PM
EvolutionXJ

1994 XJ Cherokee 

I am not positive if this applies to the 99' Cherokee. But on my '94, you can put the key in, and go on, off, on, off on. And your check engine light will blink. It will blink x number of times, short pause then some more. Count the blinks. If you get 1, pause, 2. Your code is 12. In between each code, there will be a long(er) pause to let you know it is starting a new code. Finally when it is done, it will throw code 55. Which means that is the end. Then google jeep cherokee check engine code list and let us know what you find, or if this works for your vehicle
post #5 of 9 Old 03-29-2014, 09:06 PM
scupking
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Most likely the crank position sensor. I would also replace the IAC (idle air control). I had a 94 cherokee that would randomly die. After replacing the iac,tps and cps all was good.
post #6 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 06:16 AM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvolutionXJ View Post
I am not positive if this applies to the 99' Cherokee. But on my '94, you can put the key in, and go on, off, on, off on. And your check engine light will blink. It will blink x number of times, short pause then some more. Count the blinks. If you get 1, pause, 2. Your code is 12. In between each code, there will be a long(er) pause to let you know it is starting a new code. Finally when it is done, it will throw code 55. Which means that is the end. Then google jeep cherokee check engine code list and let us know what you find, or if this works for your vehicle
Unfortunately, that technique won't work for a 99. That luxury went away mid-year 1997. For a 99, will need either a code reader or a scan tool, or take it to a parts store like Autozone where they will read the codes for free.

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!
post #7 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 06:26 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Most likely your crank position sensor is beginning to fail, but hasn't failed completely. Right now you are experiencing an intermittent loss of spark. Your fuel pump is probably fine. Once the crank sensor completely fails, you won't be able to start the Jeep.

I would buy the sensor from the Jeep dealer (best quality) and replace it yourself. You can do it with a socket, a few extensions, and the help from this forum.

0331 head swap DIY:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Build" thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #8 of 9 Old 03-30-2014, 06:55 AM
ECL
2012 JK Wrangler 

Before you spend money on replacing parts, try cleaning your various grounds. When my acted in a similar manor, I cleaned the battery ground, the battery to body ground and then followed that big ground wire from the battery down to engine block. On mine it mounts to the block using the bolts that hold the coil onto the block. It was ok but one of the other 3 ground wires there wasn't doing so well. Cleaned it all up, crimped a new ring terminal on the one wire, put all back together and it's been fine since. Been over a year now. Think cheap first - you might get lucky like I did!
post #9 of 9 Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
hippyblonde
1999 XJ Cherokee 

the check engine light is not on, and I did a tune up, and the grounds are ok, I cleaned the throttle body, and the fuel pump was replaced twice because I thought it was bad, so I will try the crank sensor thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in