Help with finding radiator hoses - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Help with finding radiator hoses

Hi all. New to the forum. Vehicle is a 1998 XJ SE, 2.5 with A/C, and manual transmission. 108,xxx miles.

My problem is locating upper and lower radiator hoses. Seems crazy, but no supplier seems to carry the original OEM hoses on my rig. The lower loops up over the steering shaft, and the upper doesn't match any aftermarket hose available. Both, as I mentioned, are original hoses.

Any others with this issue or suggestions as to where I can find the correct hoses? Nothing else I've tried even comes close to matching.

Thanks,

Bob

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 06:13 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Have you tried www.rockauto.com ? ACDelco or Gates should fit well.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 15 Old 12-14-2019, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Yup. Nothing even close. Gonna have to take it to the local dealership and see if they can track down the hoses, or at least oem part numbers.

My original radiator also doesn't have fittings for transmission or an oil cooler.

The only lower hose that looks even close is for a right hand drive postal XJ.

post #4 of 15 Old 12-15-2019, 02:49 PM
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

post #5 of 15 Old 12-18-2019, 10:27 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Do they look like these?
Attached Images

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #6 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 08:52 AM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Not even close. My xj has the typical long, skinny radiator as the 4.0. but the lower hose bends up around the steering shaft, then makes a partial "U" to the water pump.

Could someone please explain to this almost 70 year old, long retired man ( a former ASE Master Tech, before a lot of you wonderful folks were born, lol!) How to put pictures up. My kids and grandkids live several states away, and I feel like a doddering old fool when I have to ask them for computer help.

Thanks for all your help, so far,
Bob
post #7 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Essrobb

The Cherokee is a 1998 modle, the base version. The only options it was ordered with was A/C and power side mirrors.

Like I said before, I'm old. Hence I like simple things that are less apt to fail and electrical parts that cost large amounts of money.

Did I mention that I'm also a bit of a cheapskate? I grew up in much different times, and the only thing I've ever taken a lone out for was my house, which I bought when I was 22, and has been fully paid off for almost 30 years.
post #8 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 09:06 AM
Mrtoyou

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Hey Bob,
When you are creating a post look just below the box you are typing in and you will see another box that says "Drag files here to attach". Simply find the picture you want to post from your computer and drag it to the attach box. I'm no expert but that has worked for me.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand anyway!
post #9 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Thank you very much. When my wife gets home with the Jeep, I'll have her take some pictures with my phone and hopefully get some pictures for you.
post #10 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Just called the local dealership. They ran the VIN, and both hoses came back as Discontinued. But I did get the part numbers: The Lower Hose is # 52003790AD and the Upper Hose is number 52028024AB.

If there is anyone out there who knows how to get the internet to somehow cross reference these to some aftermarket replacement, I will send you a six-pack of any beer you like from New Glarus Brewery in Wisconsin. I live in New Glarus. It won't be a big challenge, lol!

Again, much thanks,

Bob
post #11 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 12:24 PM
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Try your local NAPA store, they have a pretty good cross reference resource.
post #12 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 03:35 PM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Found the top one (NOS) on eBay. It's in Greece. $329.00+$20.00 shipping. I'm not kidding. The bottom one seems to be made of the elusive Unobantium.

A friend who still is in the Wrench Turning business tells me that he'll just make me a new set using flexible stainless steel pipe and silicone adaptors.

Honestly, I had no idea that parts for these could be so expensive 😫
post #13 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 05:45 PM
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Just looked online NAPA they are listing the Lower [52003790AD] their part # NBH7424 "in stock" $14.99

No listing there for #52028024AB...

Upper one should be a bit easier to go with a generic piece?
post #14 of 15 Old 12-19-2019, 06:03 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

(I am Also a 70 year old man.

You might have to cobble up a couple of hoses, and join them together. People may laugh, but in past years I've used those 'universal' hoses a few times without problelm.

And the reverse adaptation, once on a sunday I needed to replace the drain hose under the tub of a washing machine. Inch and a half ID, sharp bend in a tight space, capable of handling hot water--of course, radiator hose. Rummaged through the the stock at Pep Boys, found one that did the trick.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #15 of 15 Old 12-22-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter
Essrobb

Unfortunately, NAPA's cross reference is completely wrong. Drove the Jeep to my local NAPA store, which had one in stock. The hose doesn't even come close to fitting. No bends to clear the air box or steering shaft.

Pictures are forthcoming. Christmas has the wife and I running around like the proverbial chicken's without heads, getting ready for a house full of kids, grandkids, and two great grandkids.

Talk about making a guy feel older than dirt. Try wrapping your head around being a Great Grandfather. Wow!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in