Headlights/Beam - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 08-03-2020, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Headlights/Beam

I have an issue with both headlights and highbeam. 97 4.0 Sport

No headlights but sidelights. No fullbeam. Fog lights come on if switch is on for headlights.

No dash lights for headlights/highbeam. All rear lights are fine.

All fuses are ok, just changed the switch for new but no change. Stripped plug under airbox but that was clean and in good condition.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 08-03-2020, 03:35 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

this should help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 97XJ headlight 1.pdf (38.6 KB, 13 views)
File Type: pdf 97XJ headlight 2.pdf (34.0 KB, 5 views)

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #3 of 28 Old 08-04-2020, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I can't open the .pdf files - JepForum/VB doesn't let me?

post #4 of 28 Old 08-04-2020, 08:01 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

OK I see London as in jolly old England?

Why - wondering f this is RHD?

The attachments are working for me when I click on them... Are you logged in - are you using a phone to view?

Let us know what you need.

post #5 of 28 Old 08-04-2020, 01:13 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I usually start with a bulb & work back but as it's (extremely) unlikely to have blown both filaments in both bulbs in quick succession I think I'd start at the switch. Applying a little logic, the problem must be between the light switch & the dipswitch (if you are in in Ol' Lunn'n Tahn you'll understand but I just can't recall what the 'Mercan term is). The switch is a prime suspect as not really up to the current it's called upon to handle, try bypassing it. If still nothing at dipswitch (i.e. hi/lo selector) must be the wire between; not subject to stress but Jeep looms/harnesses are notoriously underspec'd - run a wire direct from the headlight terminal on the light switch to the dipswitch.

Also, now is the time to fit upgraded wires & relays.
post #6 of 28 Old 08-04-2020, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks all, its a right-hand drive. And is pootling around West London though she had a year in Highlands of Scotland when I built a Hydro scheme up there. I digress.

I believe my fault is in the multi-function switch (hi/lo * indicators) - I'll pull this tomorrow if I have time and test.
post #7 of 28 Old 08-05-2020, 09:31 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Rather than changing things, have you tested them?

A 12V test lamp is a few quid but pays for itself very quickly. As soon as you disturb parts and start replacing, you muddy the waters.

You can then chase the voltage, starting at the headlamp switch which seems to have power. Then I would go down to the junction block and see if you have anything on the 4 fuses that feed the headlights.

Do you have anything when you flash the headlights? (The feed for this function is through the headlight switch but bypasses the headlight switch function)

if you do not have anything at the fuses, then it is likely to be the multifunction switch on the column.

Having no dash lights though throws up a question, this has nothing to do with the multifunction switch and comes off the headlamp switch. It is on a dimmer, have you tried turning the knob left and right? I would have another look and make sure the switch works and is hooked up correctly.

The sidelights are on a different tab of the headlight switch

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 28 Old 08-06-2020, 04:04 AM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
So I tried to post a reply last night (BST) but still having problems with the site when going via an e-mailed hyperlink so lost it, thanks to the time difference BagusJeep got in 1st.
I think we are all agreed on identifying the fault rather than replacing parts willynilly (not a good option here in Blighty as parts are not so easily come by). He makes a good point about the flasher, as if that works, it's another piece in the puzzle. However, I think he misunderstood about the dash lights as my understanding was that it was a reference to the blue warning light - NOT the instrument illumination.
Checking the dipswitch is as good a place to start, I suppose, if only 'cos it's marginally more accessible than the light switch but I'm sure the problem is between the 2, including the connections at either end.
post #9 of 28 Old 08-06-2020, 04:31 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

ddraeg were you ever able to open the attachments?

next - do you have and can you use a test light?

post #10 of 28 Old 08-06-2020, 05:29 AM Thread Starter
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
ddraeg were you ever able to open the attachments?

next - do you have and can you use a test light?
I did manage to open attachments - browser issue!

I have multi-meter et al and fairly competent using it. Could make up a test lamp quite easily.

The dash lights I described missing are the ones that show blue or green to indicate beam or headlights. The actual dash lights up and dims fine.

I'll pull the multifunction later and test the feeds to that. Does anyone have a layout of that plug?
post #11 of 28 Old 08-06-2020, 06:28 AM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Interesting that you had a browser issue; at one stage I actually gave up on this forum because I had to log in every time I moved around the site AND had to go through endless security verifications before I could post anything - until I realised that this site (like, it seems, so many others) is picky about which browser you use.

Anyway, enough of that & on to the substantive matter: only diagram I have is in the Haynes "book-of-lies" but having been brought up on the Tube map simplicity of Lucas diagrams I still find the American modular system covering many pages quite bewildering. However, doing the best I can, there appears to be 2 feeds, light green/white from the light switch (1) & a light green one from the delay module (3) [which you may or may not have - I wouldn't know, because I learned at an early age that you always turn headlights off before the engine]. From the dipswitch (ahhh, it's a "beam select switch" in 'Mer'can - or at least Jeepspeak) there's (2) red/orange to main beam (high) & (4) purple (violet)/white to dip (low). The figures in brackets are, I assume, terminal Nos.
The mainbeam (blue) indicator light I'm sure appears on another page but, from memory, is simply spurred off terminal 2. As for a green warning light, I thought that was a peculiarly French (possibly Citroen) thing, certainly wasn't aware "we" had them.

Hope that helps.
post #12 of 28 Old 08-06-2020, 03:00 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

A multimeter will work fine,

I tool 5min and checked - The LHD and RHD headlight circuit diagrams for circuit is the same.

this (attachment) is a 1997 XJ headlight and hi lo beam switch pinout.

let us know if anything else

cheers
Attached Thumbnails
headlight switch RHD.jpg   hi lo select sw.JPG  

post #13 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for this - very useful.

I've checked the plug 12.36V on feed and a perfect ground.

My next move will be resistance across the switch - didn't have time and had to put it back together to go out!
post #14 of 28 Old 08-07-2020, 12:44 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddraeg View Post
. . . had to put it back together to go out!
Hope you're back before "lighting-up time" (do we still have that? )
post #15 of 28 Old 08-08-2020, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

There is a small 'wiper' within the multifunction switch - mine had clearly arced and melted the plastic. A Dremel and some hot glue got it back to a reasonable shape. Seems to be ok so far but I'll order a new switch when they are available.

The picture is BEFORE my hot glue bodge!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in