grinding/popping when turning right ONLY - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 Old 12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
Isurus
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I would suspect a bad wheel bearing hub. If you're not sure if it's good, try taking the wheel off and spinning it by hand. There shouldn't be any noise and it should rotate smoothly with a little resistance. Try wiggling it up and down, there should be very little play.

I had a clunking when I was turning the wheel that seemed to be coming from the driver's side. I could even feel the clunk with my feet. It turned out to be a loose bolt where the track bar connects to the axle.
Does it happen when the vehicle is parked? Try getting someone to turn the wheel back and forth while you look under it for any play.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 12-30-2014, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
bhoffman11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
How do the bushings on your control arms look?

I had the same popping / grinding sound, but if I turned the wheel quickly while braking. It ended up being shot lower control arm bushings (they were Skyjacker control arms + bushings from my lift).

However ... that sounded quite similar to the front differential going out on my XJ as well. I peeked in through the fill hole and topped it off similarly to yours (I also had the pinion seal wet), but still heard it while turning. Opened the diff cover and the gear oil that drained out was full of shavings. So, a new front differential + lower CA bushings solved that popping noise.

With that said, I'm still dealing with figuring out what is making these other noises with my XJ since I finished that ordeal, so hopefully yours doesn't turn into a project like mine.
I topped mine off and it looked like dirty motor oil, but no metal, so hopefully mine is still good. bushings on the CA's look good, but as far as I know, i don't notice any play. Don't mind a project as long a I can still make it to work is all lol
post #18 of 19 Old 12-30-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
bhoffman11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLE View Post
Did putting the sway bar back on change the noise?

Do you get the popping noise while in 4Hi?

The socket at the frame end of the track bar can move in itself
just a bit (that is why it is a socket) but there should be no play in it.
Make sure the bolts are all tight on both the frame end and the single bolt
at the axle end.
It helped with the body roll and helped alittle bit, but it's still there.

I haven't tried the 4hi trick yet...

and I gotcha, so shouldn't look like this?
Attached Thumbnails
14294_10203235539909189_1712418442802779260_n.jpg  

post #19 of 19 Old 12-30-2014, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
bhoffman11
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isurus View Post
I would suspect a bad wheel bearing hub. If you're not sure if it's good, try taking the wheel off and spinning it by hand. There shouldn't be any noise and it should rotate smoothly with a little resistance. Try wiggling it up and down, there should be very little play.

I had a clunking when I was turning the wheel that seemed to be coming from the driver's side. I could even feel the clunk with my feet. It turned out to be a loose bolt where the track bar connects to the axle.
Does it happen when the vehicle is parked? Try getting someone to turn the wheel back and forth while you look under it for any play.
everything rotates pretty smooth with no real noise or hard resistance when i turn the axle by hand. no real play in the wheel either, but have not tried recently. and yeah, trackbar is kind of loose when i tried that. would that make a continuous sound like that though? thanks!

Tags
grinding , popping , turning , wheel

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in