Fuse 22 (fuel pump pcm) blowing when inserted - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 06-07-2018, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
n1ck_11

Garage
Exclamation Fuse 22 (fuel pump pcm) blowing when inserted

My 2000 Cherokee has a problem where fuse 22 in the power distribution center (pdc) is blowing right when it is inserted, even without the ignition on. I have stopped the fuse from blowing by unplugging one of the connectors on the power train control module. I have also unplugged the fuel pump relay in the pdc and it still popped. I have checked all of my ground and they seem good. I have unplugged the fuel pump and most of the wires around the transmission and in the engine bay. I am stumped and i don't know where to go from here. Anything helps. Thanks.

Attached Thumbnails
PNG image 2.jpg   PNG image (1).jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 06-08-2018, 04:15 PM
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

My computer looks the same. If you're like me you have a full tank. First make a short circuit tester. Go to your favorite auto parts store and buy a single filament lamp socket. Back up lamp is perfect, along with a suitable lamp. There are two tabs on the blown fuse, tack solder (cold solder joint) the socket leads to these tabs. Install the lamp. Turn the ignition on, if the lamp lights you have a short. Turn off the ignition and unplug the wires going to the ignition coil. Now turn the ignition on and start looking for the short, the lamp will go out when you find it. If you dont find anything, drop the tank. There is a plug on the top, a 9/16" deep socket will greatly aid this. On my 99, you have to remove the tailpipe bracket as well as the heat shield. I would recommend you get a new pump before you do this. you can always return it. As this is sort of PITA, I would get a good one. The collar on top of the tank is difficult, mine had a tendency to cross thread. Latex gloves and a good friend will be helpful.
Installation is reverse, be careful, my fuel gauge is intermittent, it seems I bent the shaft.
Clean the tank, it is amazing the amount of sentiment in there. In addition you might want to replace the fuel line as well as the breather tube. They have may be starting to deteriorate.

Tags
fuel pump , fuse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in