Front Skid Plate ... nut strips? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
johnlocke
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front Skid Plate ... nut strips?

I have a 2000 XJ Classic and just recently came into gas tank and front factory skid plates (from a '99). Mine has a trailer hitch, so I have the existing nutserts for the rears, but there's nothing in the front.

To attach the front skid plate, *are* there nutserts?

There's no bolts welded in place, no nuts welded in place, just open holes ... both along the front rail under the bumper and in the spots over above the axle that have holes to attach the skid plate. Other option I guess is that I just get roughly correctly sized bolts and nuts and bolt it in place ... but that seems a little "loosey goosey" for a skid plate.

I can find tons of info on the rear nut strips and how to install the rear skid (still hoping mine works with both the hitch and the skid, we'll see), but not finding much on the front skid (still searching for the transfer case plate as well eventually).

Editing to ask ... is it rivnuts for all those empty holes? Is that what's supposed to be there?

Last edited by johnlocke; 10-10-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: More details
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 02:34 PM Thread Starter
johnlocke
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nevermind. I was looking at the wrong holes. Can't see a way to delete this post. There's actually two weld nuts up front, one on each side. No idea why the other two holes are there and line up in the plate, but no manual shows using them that I can find.

The studs for the front are a different story, but I can probably find some of those at least.
post #3 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 03:43 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Studs or bolts, same results. As I recall, the front skid is held by two bolts per side, using weld nuts that are already inside the frame.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

post #4 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
johnlocke
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I couldn't figure out how to get rid of the post. I was looking at the wrong holes that were further down the frame. When I found the right ones, one hole on each side has a welded nut in place, and then there's the three or four on the front that take those awful stud-nut combo things. I plan to make my own nut strip in place of those and bolt up into it instead (an idea from another thread on here somewhere).
post #5 of 6 Old 10-10-2019, 11:43 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I just used nuts and bolts in the lower radiator support when I attached mine.
It is awkward but can be done.
Considered making a nutstrip though or using rivnuts.
post #6 of 6 Old 10-11-2019, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
johnlocke
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah, I figured I could probably get nuts and bolts to work, but very awkward like you say. Instead, an idea I saw online was to get a small bit of u-channel aluminum (cheap) and drill holes corresponding to the locations on the skid plate. Then, you can just place (might use some goo like vaseline or grease) nuts in the u-channel and they won't be able to turn, letting you use a bolt to come up from the bottom. Might need to get a finger in there to get each of them started, but that's it, and then it's a nice solution. Also seems easier than welding together a nutstrip with *exactly* the right locations. So that's my plan for now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in