Front end rebuild - JeepForum.com
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old 06-16-2021, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front end rebuild

2000 XJ with 180k on the clock. Everything is original. My driver side U-joint has a lot of play and makes the steering wheel wobble when turning. Of course that little $13 part is buried behind the wheel hub. The hubs and ball joints have a tiny bit of play too. Since so much has to come apart to get at them, and the mileage, I decided to do ALL the front end steering and drive parts including ball joints. That way I know everything is new and tight. Today I oiled up everything and started removing calipers, rotors, all cotter pins, wheel hub nuts, steering linkage, and promptly got stuck at the hubs. NOTHING will budge them. I stumbled upon CJ7-Tim's advice to use a socket or bolt between the axle end and U-joint and use the steering to push it out. I gave up as it got dark so tomorrow I will give that a go. I will need to put the steering linkage back on but if this works that is a small inconvenience.

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0146.jpg  

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 07:55 AM
Pinoy59

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
You can also just loosen the bolt a 1/2" and whack the bolts with a hammer and a block of wood. That worked for me. Its worth a try before you try putting the steering back together. One of my unit bearings was so stuck that i ripped it apart getting it out. Now they slide right out, since i have taken them apart so many times.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

NP242/skidplates/RC4.5"LA kit/33x12.5mudclaws/15x10rim/sliders&flares/trussed-locked8.8/winchbumper
post #3 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 08:48 AM
Pinoy59

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
When you do ball joints, you need some sort of spacer to seat them properly since they are at an angle. I used my old top plate but any old piece of steel could work.

NP242/skidplates/RC4.5"LA kit/33x12.5mudclaws/15x10rim/sliders&flares/trussed-locked8.8/winchbumper

post #4 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 12:27 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for those tips. This is an adventure for me. Today I got the axles out. I tried two ways- the socket-behind-the-U-joint way, and the bolt-through-the-stud hole -way. Both worked. But the socket behind the U-joint is the ONLY WAY to do this. The other way worked and I just wanted to know for my own information what was easiest. By cutting off a wheel stud and inserting a long 4.0 head bolt and nut, I was able with great difficulty to push the hub away from the knuckle. It looks easy on YouTube videos. The problem is that there is no handy flat surface for the bolt to push off of. It gets angled and is not very effective. I got it loose a fraction, oiled it, and whacked it the rest of the way with a crowbar and sledge. The hub bearing was destroyed in the process but I am replacing them anyway. Now, the socket way is the SHIZNIT!!! I re-installed the steering linkage. Then I placed an old broken Harbor Fright 23mm impact socket between the U-joint and the axle. As you turn the steering wheel it pushes the hub right out. It took only two steering wheel turns at opposite ends and it was off. And it does not ruin the hub. Five minutes VS an hour of swearing. LESSON LEARNED!!! Kudos to CJ7-Tim. Now I start on the U-joints and ball joints.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0147.jpg   IMG_0148.jpg   IMG_0149.jpg  

post #5 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 01:27 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
I feel for you, I just did all that on mine.

Take your time and check everything and make sure it is all straight and tight and you should be fine.

Do yourself a favor and check where the brake pads ride on the knuckle if there are gouges you are going to want to weld those up and grind down flat, best to do before putting it back together because it sucks having to take it apart again.
Fourspeedman and Wyo like this.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT
post #6 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

OK will do. That's another thing I would have overlooked. The cotter pins in the ball joints refused to come quietly too. So I clipped them off as close as I could and let my 3/4" drive breaker bar persuade them. The nuts came off as if there were no cotters at all. And of course I was thinking that the ball joints tested OK but now that they are exposed- WOWSERS. The lowers are gonzo but the uppers are fairly tight. Next step is pressing them out with my big "C" clamp tool.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0152.jpg  

post #7 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 03:48 PM
Pinoy59

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
Mine came out pretty stubbornly. I had to bust out my jack handle as a breaker bar. They went in fairly easy though once i figured out how to set it up. Make sure to install the lowers first or else you won't be able to get to them with the uppers in the way.

Fourspeedman and Wyo like this.

post #8 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 05:48 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
OK will do. That's another thing I would have overlooked. The cotter pins in the ball joints refused to come quietly too. So I clipped them off as close as I could and let my 3/4" drive breaker bar persuade them. The nuts came off as if there were no cotters at all. And of course I was thinking that the ball joints tested OK but now that they are exposed- WOWSERS. The lowers are gonzo but the uppers are fairly tight. Next step is pressing them out with my big "C" clamp tool.
Mine were the same lowers were loose and sloppy the uppers were pretty tight and as Pinoy said they were a bear to get out until I got the right combination of this and that just right then the other side was easier.
Fourspeedman likes this.

01'XJ,4.0l,AW4,NP231,D30,CHY8.25,3"IROlift,Bilstei n's,IRO OTKsteering,245/70R16,NokianRotiiva AT
post #9 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This should be interesting. I am used to removing the entire control arm and clamping it into my bigazz bench vise. Then I use the "C" clamp tool or my 12 ton Harbor Fright press to remove/replace them. I have never had to do them in place on the vehicle. I see where the stealership tool had the wedge shaped cups to match the offset surface. That steel plate Pinoy59 used makes a lot of sense. Or maybe I can cut a section of gas pipe to mimic the tool?

post #10 of 30 Old 06-17-2021, 07:49 PM
Pinoy59

1935 CJ2A 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
This should be interesting. I am used to removing the entire control arm and clamping it into my bigazz bench vise. Then I use the "C" clamp tool or my 12 ton Harbor Fright press to remove/replace them. I have never had to do them in place on the vehicle. I see where the stealership tool had the wedge shaped cups to match the offset surface. That steel plate Pinoy59 used makes a lot of sense. Or maybe I can cut a section of gas pipe to mimic the tool?
Yes, that works great. I just didn't have any pipe laying around.

post #11 of 30 Old 06-18-2021, 08:14 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well this is a surprise. Many moons go I bought a Harbor Fright ball joint adapter kit to complement the HF ball joint press tool. It looks like the Jeep offset adapters are in this kit. The instructions only cover up to 1998 so that is how old this is. Whoda thunk it?
Wyo likes this.

post #12 of 30 Old 06-18-2021, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

This kit is so old it doesn't even have MADE IN CHINA emblazoned anywhere, unlike today. So it had every adapter and sleeve I needed to remove the ball joints. I still needed some heat, oil, and a BFH due to the rust. The bottoms were pretty difficult to budge. How nice of the enginerds to cut a rust-raising groove in the ball joint so water collects and rusts. The BFH was needed on those. The top one I tried pushing the shaft up and it went right through the roof. I've never seen that before. Then I added a sleeve and that pushed the rest of the body out. Learning, always learning.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0159.jpg   IMG_0156.jpg   IMG_0154.jpg   IMG_0157.jpg   IMG_0160.jpg  

post #13 of 30 Old 06-19-2021, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No time today with other things going on. I did manage to change the oil on my DD so I saved it for this. The FSM says to use PLENTY of oil on the U-joints to get them loose. So I am soaking them in the used motor oil until I get around to pressing them apart. That should do the trick.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0161.jpg  
OCDXJ likes this.

post #14 of 30 Old 06-22-2021, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Well, even that oil dunking did not help. These suckers were so solidly rusted together that I smashed them apart more than pressed them. Even the ones that did press sounded like a cherry bomb when they came apart. Look at the pic. Those needle bearings are welded solid to the cap. I can't even pry them out. That cap had to be beaten off the cross with a BFH and a chisel. Others came out in chunks. But it is done, everything is taken apart.. What a job this becoming.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0162.jpg   IMG_0163.jpg  

post #15 of 30 Old 06-22-2021, 07:35 PM
OCDXJ

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Glad you finally got it apart could not have been fun.

I have to say, I sure don't miss the rust belt in anyway since I moved back west.

Just dodging the chucks of cars falling off while driving down the road was interesting, mostly mufflers and tail pipes but I almost got hit by a bumper off a 70's Buick at 55MPH once that could have been painful.
Wyo likes this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in