Front brake locks up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Front brake locks up

Hi everyone:

After I installed new rotors, new pad, and new caliper piston, the front brakes jammed. I bled the system, no help.
What could be the problem since everything almost new.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Built for export
432K Kilos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 02:43 PM
mauser1891
1997 ZJ 

Disc brake hang on knuckle... ('89 XJ)

Hello Hamid,

I suggest inspecting the knuckle for wear. I am in the process of replacing the one on my girlfriends '89 Pioneer. I had purchased drums, rotors and all the rest of the parts needed to do the core portion of the brake system at the wheels. Over time usage wears the knuckle, thus the front brakes can no longer move as intended. It's that noticeable at first, but after closer inspection you will see the issue.
I am considering new parts as we might keep this build. NAPA is the only company that I have seen thus far that has both left (NPS 78541) and right (NPS 78542) knuckles. Keeping in mind that one could buy a axle from another vehicle, but it may suffer the same issue for the combined price. Therefor I'd suggest closely inspect anything you might consider acquiring that is used.
NAPA knuckles

Thank You,
mauser1891

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Mauser, did you mean the hub.

432K Kilos.

post #4 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 03:20 PM
mauser1891
1997 ZJ 

Disc brake hang up, alternative knuckles...

Hello Hamid,

The hub is bolted to the knuckle. Hub is the bearing assembly. While the brakes are also bolted to the knuckle. Knuckle is a part of the steering|suspension.
I was doing a parts look up on a different website and the same MOPAR part numbers are the very same between a '97 ZJ and the '89 XJ. Which makes sense as both are the same front axles. As we know that Jeep started making the ZJ's after the ZJ production. As it would be logical to reuse the same parts in many cases than to retool a factory line.

Example of the steering knuckle here.
I am considering these at OMIX-ADA

Thank You,
mauser1891

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mauser1891; 12-10-2019 at 03:26 PM. Reason: update
post #5 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 05:26 PM
car6car

Bad brake hoses. Old. They are falling apart inside, clogging fluid flow back.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-10-2019, 06:09 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

1) Check for wear on the brake pad sliding surfaces of the steering knuckle. Entire surface, both upper suface and lower surface, should be even and smooth. See picture. Repair any worn areas by filling with welding filler metal and grinding smooth.

2) Replace both the rubber brake hoses to the calipers. Old hoses can break down inside and crate a blockage to return flow of brake fluid.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #7 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 04:42 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

From 1999 - 2000, the front axle changed. It's possible that you now have a mix of 1999 & 2000 front axle brake parts.

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
post #8 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 05:44 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The description of the symptoms is somewhat vague, but the 1999.5 cast vs. composite rotor and hub issue is a likely possibility.

Read this >> https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...e-hubs-360959/

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-11-2019, 12:21 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you for all your info sharing, her what I found:

The rotor was touching the back plate, and when the wheel lugs were tightened, it put great pressure on the rotor made very hard to move. As a quick solution, I put washers on the wheel stud to separate the rotor from the back plate. It did work, the brakes is working now normally.

432K Kilos.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in