2Likes
  • 1 Post By dented
  • 1 Post By BagusJeep

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 04-10-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
dented

Frame Stiffeners

Anyone with any experience?

IRO looks to have the most complete set, but as I am very interested in the center RuffStuff looks to have the best center piece.

Any opinions?

Jakegrovephoto likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 04-11-2019, 11:23 PM
BagusJeep

1981 CJ7 

Both appear to be Z shaped stiffeners, which will work OK for the centre section if welded on correctly. Some people use L section in this location, I suppose the extra fab would make it a better connection.

The Ruffstuff is only the centre section rails, the rockers need extra work as well.

You may also want to look at stregthening the floors, it is very thin metal and even a little rust will weaken these stiffeners.

Overall the IRO set is OK and good value, it will save you time making your own and is as good value as you will get. Still leaves a tremendous amount of welding but it will get you off to a good start.
Kolak likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 4 Old 04-12-2019, 02:00 AM
Kolak
Vendor

What I can say is that I've sold numerous sets of the IRO stiffeners to customers and have had nothing but great feedback. It's a lot of work for sure, but a very worthwhile upgrade since as you know, the XJ uniframe is rather flexy

Kolak Performance and Offroad
Member: Specialty Equipment Market Association
Telephone: 480 998-3661

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 04-12-2019, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
dented

I just installed IRO 3 link. I don't like that the front axle and crossmember all land on the same 3 bolts in the unibody. The unibody was not made for it. I see it as serious weak spot. My plan is a frame stiffener on the bottom then go through the floor and cut into the frame to add a plate with nuts welded to it. I will put bolts through the 3 link brackets, through the stiffener, through the unibody (flimsy), through my plates and into the waiting nuts on the other side.

I know it will be much stronger, but I also think it will distribute the road bumps along the frame better. I'm OK for now. I just put in 4.88s in the front. Until I do the back, no 4wd. It's a real Mall Crawler at the moment.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in