Fender Trimming Write Up - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
FooK

2002 WJ 

Fender Trimming Write Up

I was pretty impressed with the way mojojojo did his fender trim, and after talking to him about it we dug into mine. Finished up just before the rain too.

I gotta start by tossing out a big big thanks to Rod (mojo) for helping out on this and giving me access to his garage and tools. I couldn't have done this project without his help.

Now to the goods...

The Front

I took a sharpie and traced across the top of the fender flares. I then removed my front bumper and flares. Now with a jigsaw, I cut around the line I drew from tracing the line around the flare.

Some people say to tape this off, but with the jigsaw the paint didn't really flake.

Here is the fender with the first cut done, Rod demonstrates how much we took off, he's no Vanna White, but he presents the product just as well.

In this pic you can see the rounding I did on the front edge, so that my trim pieces would wrap well, and for looks.

The next part was to bend the seam up out of the way. I took a cutoff wheel and made several slices, and then Rod took my BFH and wrapped them up. They turned out really well, you can run your hand over them and they're pretty smooth.

The last part to complete up front is to take the trim and slide it on. You kinda gotta tap it on, it fits very snug. It is lined with metal. I think Rod found it on eBay.

I had to peel off the plastic clad to get the trim on, but I am planning on painting the lower portion black.

The trim looks really good, fits snug and hides any imperfections in the cut, not that there were very many really.

Jason Roy - Marketing Director at WP
Driver #1724 Team WP Jeepspeed
Co-Driver #36 ERS Rally Team
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
FooK

2002 WJ 

The Rear

First, remove the flares and wipe the surface around the holes clean. This way you will be able to see the spot welds.

This pic is with the flares removed, you can kinda see the round dots that are the spot welds.

Now staying just below the spot welds, I trimmed about an inch off with the jigsaw.

Here they are with the first inch trimmed off.

Now, with the cutoff wheel, I made cuts about 1" tall that cut up into the fender, between each spot weld. These go up to just short of the bevel. Here's a pic of the cuts made. You can see that we bent a couple up in the middle, we cut a couple slices and bent them up to see if we liked how deep the cuts were and if we liked the bend looked good.

With the cuts all done, it was BFH time again, worked our way around to get it all bent up.

To get the bends wrapped all the way up and flat against the wheel well, it was alot easier to take the tires off. Plus it gave me a chance to remove that pesky rear swaybar.

Here it is all done, way more room to play

With the front bumper back on, it looks good.

post #3 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
FooK

2002 WJ 

Before vs After (don't mind the rear sag)

Before

After

Thats pretty much it. To finish it off, I will be removing the rest of the rubber/plastic side cladding, running some filler over the rear wheel wells where the tabs bend up, and going around the edge and the bottom where the cladding is with herculiner or paint or something...

post #4 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 06:50 PM
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Looks good, but .......

Here it comes.......

Wait for it.........

Almost........

Now you need bigger tires

93 Sport
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy............Ben Franklin

Specs in Profile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
FooK

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93
Now you need bigger tires
Well duh, lol

This is what we call, preparation for the future. Another inch up front, a couple inches in back to make it level, and some 35's oh yeah....

post #6 of 7 Old 03-31-2007, 09:13 PM
black2door
Web Wheeler

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooK
Well duh, lol

This is what we call, preparation for the future. Another inch up front, a couple inches in back to make it level, and some 35's oh yeah....
Hows about another inch in the back, none in the front, and 35's. Keep the c.o.g. low. Looks awesome, real nice Jeep.
post #7 of 7 Old 04-01-2007, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
FooK

2002 WJ 

It's only a 4.5" lift. 35's will probably fit. But another inch or so will get me to the longer shock I want and a give a little more belly clearance. At 5.5" I'll still have a pretty low COG.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in