Factory Tranny Cooler From A '99 Into An '00 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Factory Tranny Cooler From A '99 Into An '00

So I am hoping somebody can clarify a few things for me. My FSM says to reverse flush it, which makes sense, and I want to be sure I am understanding things properly.
So is the tranny line from the top of the radiator to the back of the tranny is the return line?
I pretty sure I know the answer but need somebody to tell me I am right. LOL.
So that line is in 2 pieces with the quick connect.
From my Jeep. Shot 1.

From the boneyard Jeep.
Shots 2 through 4.

So Jeep in an uncharacteristic moment of being logical looks like they made it so if a Jeep from the factory came with the cooler this one short hose, with the quick connect on one end and using a hose clamp on the other made it so just by splicing in this line with the tranny cooler could get it on there without having to use a whole different return line.
Does that sound correct?
Shot 5.

So another thing that has been confusing me. I have read a bunch of tranny cooler threads and one thing they seem to have in common is that you feed into the bottom of the cooler and out from the top.
Gets air out. And if I am right about the tranny line off the top of the radiator being the return line that seems to follow suit.
But here is the thing. The factory tranny cooler as it would be on the Jeep.
Shot 6.

So the rubber line that is spliced in is secured to the lower inlet, with a hose clamp, but that is really the top of the tranny cooler.
Shot 7.

And the upper inlet, which is coming out the bottom of the tranny cooler, is where the line that goes to the rear of the tranny connects too.
Shot 8.

So it is not feeding through the bottom and coming out the top.
Is that correct?
Cause I do want to make sure I reverse flush and need to know for sure what inlet to hook up to.

Which brings another thing. We sell this flush in the store. But it comes with this screw on connector. For the life of me I could not figure out how to use it.
I mean what does the screw connector fit?
Shots 9 and 10.

Then it occurred to me. A short piece of 5/16" brake screws right in. Some hose and hose clamps and you get this.
Shot 11.

Also will work with the short piece of tranny line for the cooler.
Shot 12.

Now assuming I am right and all you need is that short piece spliced into the existing tranny line I will most likely buy a new piece.
Oh and I was trying to take these shots tranny fluid kept on coming out of the cooler still. Actually looks pretty red. One of the reasons I grabbed this one.
Fins looked in good shape. Not rusted at all. And the black paint, which is flaking off every time I touch it (LOL), is in really good shape.
Or what is left of it.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 07:49 AM Thread Starter
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Additional pictures.
Attached Images

post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2020, 04:18 PM
PimaXJ
1997 XJ Cherokee 

@Ralph77 , yes the top line at the radiator is the return line. Quite nice that the upper line ends in rubber hose. This makes it very easy to adapt an aftermarket cooler without cutting the metal lines. As you can see, the OEM cooler is simply a loop with the same size fittings. I doubt which one gets the fluid first matters, just a loop. Sorry but I cannot shed any more light on this quandary for you. The fluid is under pressure. The transmission does have a vent, yes? Nice pictures & work- as with all you do, first class, especially the hose hook-up to purge the cooler!

post #4 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 01:34 AM Thread Starter
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimaXJ View Post
@Ralph77 , yes the top line at the radiator is the return line. Quite nice that the upper line ends in rubber hose. This makes it very easy to adapt an aftermarket cooler without cutting the metal lines. As you can see, the OEM cooler is simply a loop with the same size fittings. I doubt which one gets the fluid first matters, just a loop. Sorry but I cannot shed any more light on this quandary for you. The fluid is under pressure. The transmission does have a vent, yes? Nice pictures & work- as with all you do, first class, especially the hose hook-up to purge the cooler!
I just find it odd that while the tranny cooler in the radiator feeds in at the bottom and comes out from the top that the aux cooler does not.
Which is the way guys say to route an aftermarket cooler so air does not get trapped in it.
The factory aux cooler feeds into the top and comes out the bottom. But as one guy pointed out on another forum it is just a single loop so it should not matter.

Yes there is a breather from the tranny on a AW4. It is down in the tunnel on the passenger side.
I extended that with my transfer case breather, which is also in the same area, higher up awhile back.
Extended my rear diff one too. All where the front diff one is. In hindsight, which I am going to correct someday,
I should have just put the tranny and tranfer case one to the right of the engine.
I did this cause I Fluid Film. Everywhere underneath and in the uni-body.
Thinking gunking up breathers with Fluid Film is probably not a good thing. LOL.

As far as the set up for the trans cooler cleaner goes that drove me nuts.
Then once I figured out how I needed to set it up to use I was like DUH!!!

A guy on another forum was saying how worthless the factory tranny cooler is.
And I don't disagree with him.
But I have my reasons.
I don't tow and at the moment have no plans too.
Factory stuff is part of my clone build.
The factory cooler appears to splice in to the existing line. No cutting, modding, etc.
Can be taken out and returned to the way it was without a problem.
Like I keep telling people. I have commitment issues. LOL.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 03:52 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
GOT IT BACK on 6/17. 03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift with 4" lift coils up front/Zone hydro shocks/5.13 gears/35" Mickey Thompson MTZ P3 tires/Black Magic brakes. Jeep #17 & 19.
SOLD 99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / 33" DC tires.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty sure that video is all wrong.
Looks like he is saying the bottom line off the radiator is the return.
That is a '97 and up Jeep he is working on and pretty sure the top is the return.
I am under the impression with that not all XJ's are like that though. But.....
Looks like he might have set up the cooler properly like guys say to do.
Feed in the bottom and return at the top.
All in all IMO not a very good DYI video.
post #7 of 7 Old 06-04-2020, 06:05 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
If you are trying to figure out supply / return, you can always do it the fool proof way. Grab a buddy, disconnect both lines, start the Jeep & put it into drive. When you see the line squirt, you will know what is the supply line to the radiator.

Attached is my link, for my observations about a stock XJ transmission cooler.
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/a...tions-4374163/

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in