Exhaust packages and lifter Q's - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
253XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Exhaust packages and lifter Q's

Sorry in advance, I know this is sorta long, and I know that these are two very different topics, but hey, why waste space with two threads when I can do it in 1?

First off, im trying to decide how to spend my tax return money, and right now Im thinking about doing one of these exhaust/intake packages from rusty's:

Exhaust PAckage

Which is basically, "Kit includes Flowmaster Exhaust, Rusty's Airtube & Throttle Body Spacer ('91+ 4.0l only), K&N Airfilter (4.5"x5") and K&N Cleaning Kit. Get your engine breathing better for guaranteed horse power increase. Kit includes all necessary hardware.

Filter upgrade option allows you to switch out the standard 4.5" filter with the larger 9" filter for even more airflow."

I can also get one that is just intake/exhaust w/ no throttle body spacer, or just the flowmaster catback exhaust.

Anybody have any thoughts or experience with these products?

Also thinking about a high flow cat- pros, cons or recommendations?

And finally, I know the lifters in my xj are going to need to be replaced. But I'm a relatively poor college student and my projects need to limited to weekend projects that can easily be accomplished on my weekends at home. Aka I dont want to do an engine swap/ replace the lifters until I have to, cuz I will be out a car until the project is finished. So any suggestions on how to extend the life of my lifters as long as possible?

Thanks in advance,

Chris

74 CJ-5 lifted & locked 07 Jeep WK Overland 5.7 Hemi. Rough Country bb, Bilsteins, & Rugged Terrains
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 02:09 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

TB spacer is a total waste.

K&N breaths better, but also let in more crap--OK for the street, not so good for off-roading. Also makes it very easy to hydrolock in water. Why not just use a K&N filter in the airbox?

An open exhaust is good, as is a CAT. The Flowmasters tend to be louder, if you like that. If not, the Dynomax is good.

None of this is going to make a great deal of difference, especially at lower RPMs, anyway.

Oh, and how do you know your lifter(s) are bad?

'94 Cherokee Country
Engine: 4.0 HO, Sealed canister filter, 3 core CSF steel radiator, CatCo cat, Dynomax Turbo Flow muffler.
Electronics: Remote start/locks, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP w/XM, Polk Audio speakers, Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS, Cobra 148 GTL P&T w/Wilson 1000.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
post #3 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
253XJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Had a full diagnostic check done by a mechanic shop right before I bought it- lifter(s) showed up as a problem. Im just going off what the mechanic told me. Any good ways to self check the lifters?

And thats about what I needed to know, I'd heard mixed reviews on the TB. But the intake/exhaust should hopefully help my gas mileage a little bit. Plus the exhaust will sound good. And right now its my DD, I have other stuff to take offroad, its just going to be doing a bit of mild trail running for the time being.

Any suggestions on a decent intake, or just the k&n in the airbox?

Thanks again

74 CJ-5 lifted & locked 07 Jeep WK Overland 5.7 Hemi. Rough Country bb, Bilsteins, & Rugged Terrains

post #4 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 09:39 PM
mecompco
www.midcoastjeep.com

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Power \m/ View Post
Had a full diagnostic check done by a mechanic shop right before I bought it- lifter(s) showed up as a problem. Im just going off what the mechanic told me. Any good ways to self check the lifters?

And thats about what I needed to know, I'd heard mixed reviews on the TB. But the intake/exhaust should hopefully help my gas mileage a little bit. Plus the exhaust will sound good. And right now its my DD, I have other stuff to take offroad, its just going to be doing a bit of mild trail running for the time being.

Any suggestions on a decent intake, or just the k&n in the airbox?

Thanks again
I think the drop-in K&N is fine. With the Rusty's tube, you are just sucking in hot engine air. With the stock airbox, at least you are getting cooler air (from the intake behind the headlight). You could get the K&N FIPK, which includes a heat shield, but that is fairly big bucks.

BTW, and FWIW, I've just switched over to a snorkle with a canister filter, so happen to have a spare drop-in K&N available for cheap, should you be interested.

'94 Cherokee Country
Engine: 4.0 HO, Sealed canister filter, 3 core CSF steel radiator, CatCo cat, Dynomax Turbo Flow muffler.
Electronics: Remote start/locks, Pioneer DEH-P7800MP w/XM, Polk Audio speakers, Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS, Cobra 148 GTL P&T w/Wilson 1000.
Suspension: Old Man Emu 3" lift+OME AAL, JKS adjustable trackbar, QDs, LCAs UCAs, A.C.O.S., DPG Offroad adjustable bumpstop plate, Daystar poly bumpstops.
Steering: Currie HD steering, C-ROK steering box reinforcement, OME stabilizer.
Armor/Recovery: T&T Custom belly skid, Mopar gas tank skid, JKS LCA mini skids, Rock Lizard Super Skink Sliders, Mopar 2" receiver, ARB Bull Bar/Ramsey REP 8.5 winch.
Drive train: D30 front axle w/Superior Chromo D30 axles & outter seals, D/S 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, Ruff Stuff cover. Ford 8.8 rear axle w/Superior Super 88 kit, Ford Motor Sports 4.56 R&P, ARB locker, SOLID cover, Russell stainless lines. Front and rear Tom Woods HD drive shafts, 242 x-fer case w/Tom Woods SYE.
Tires/Wheels: 33x10.5x15 BFG Mud Terrains on Alcoas.
Misc: Garvin Wilderness rack, Safari Snorkel, Redline Tuning hood lifts.
Awaiting installation: Autometer A pillar gauge pod, oil, water, & tranny temp guages, PIAA driving lights, Goferit tie-rod flip bushing, '95 Brake booster and M/C, M.O.R.E. Motor mounts, TnT Custom 1.5" Shackle.
Stroker Project: HO Block, '99 intake manifold, bored TB, 1" TB spacer, Dynomax Blackjack Header, Permacool electric fan.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-23-2008, 09:47 PM
mizzouxj

Yeah I have the same setup. I like the cone filter and I have the FM 40 series and like the way it sounds. The TB spacer was a waste of money and the time putting it on. If i had to do it again I wouldnt have put it on, but I guess hindsight is 20/20

2000 White XJ Sport | 2" Rough Country | 15x8 Eagle Alloys Series 187, 30x9.50 Dayton Timberline A/Ts | Carr Light Barr w/ 4 KC 100W 69 series | Custom Tube Bumpers from my old XJ | Complete Rockford Fosgate Sound System with Alpine Headunit

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in