Exhaust manifold shield? Aluminum on header ok? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-20-2018, 11:36 AM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey guys,

Dreaded misfire after hot restart here, so im trying to bring down the IAT and under-hood temps. Nothing fancy here, i literally just wedged a 24x12 sheet of thin aluminum between the intake and header in order to see if it would help. Law and behold, after a 20 minute drive, the intake manifold was relatively cool and same with the injectors. Under hood temps felt significantly lower as i assume the shield is forcing the heat down and under the Jeep.

My concern is having this thin aluminum sheet resting on the header since there is no "nice' way to install it other than wedging it in. I don't want to have molten aluminum leaking down the exhaust manifold. Am i just paranoid or could our headers melt an aluminum sheet? Has anyone done this before?

Im afraid of trial & error approach here as the error might end up with the Jeep catching fire.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-21-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bumpity bump
post #3 of 4 Old 02-26-2018, 07:48 PM
dzywicki
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Aluminum melting point is ~1200 degrees. A header may get close to that. If you're really worried about it, I would get some exhaust header wrap and wrap it around the aluminum sheet where it touches the exhaust. Would probably keep it in place and keep it from melting. I have a 98 and a 99 so have not had to deal with the heat soak issue. There are kits like this to solve the problem: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...&creative=9325

post #4 of 4 Old 02-27-2018, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
mystangt
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzywicki View Post
Aluminum melting point is ~1200 degrees. A header may get close to that. If you're really worried about it, I would get some exhaust header wrap and wrap it around the aluminum sheet where it touches the exhaust. Would probably keep it in place and keep it from melting. I have a 98 and a 99 so have not had to deal with the heat soak issue. There are kits like this to solve the problem: https://www.amazon.com/Design-Engine...&creative=9325
I replaced the factory shield and the DEI kit you linked above was my step 2. Neither worked. My alu sheet is working really well for the IAT's, but i got misfires after a re-start the other day... again. I am at a loss. I think that i might just call it quits on trying to resolve this. Not sure what else i can do at this point short of hacking up the hood, which i really don't want to do...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in