The evolution on an XJ from Crawling to Racing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The evolution on an XJ from Crawling to Racing

Well like everyone else I started out with a stock XJ. 1990 XJ Sport that I got for $400. Didn't run because the guy I bought it from had did a motor swap and didn't get the distributor in the right gear. So the timing was really off.

I put a Rough Country 6.5" lift on it and some 33" Super Swamper SSR's

And like always that wasn't cutting it. So I moved over to a Ford HP44 and Ford 9" and 36" Super Swamper SX's. Needed more gearing so I did a 231 doubler and a flipped D300. So I then had a 4 speed transfer case with a doubler low of 7.15 to 1.

Now that I had the axles and tires I started to get jealous of all the CJ's with their open tops. So I started the chop. And bent up a 6 point cage with a lot of triangulation.

But its never enough. I needed a better suspension. I got rid of the leafs in the back and did a rear 3 link with stock XJ coils in the rear.

Trail 5 Hill Climb at Rausch Creek

I started doing harder and harder trails and kept breaking D44 axle shafts. So I bit the bullet and did the D60/14bolt swap. Threw in some 35 spline shafts from Ten Factory. Turned the front into a 3 link and the rear to 4 link. Also upgraded the Rough Country shocks to some 2.5" High Temp Res. shocks from FOA. And because running 36's on Tons is just silly I went out and got myself a set of 38.5" Maxxis Creepy Crawlers and made myself some beadlocks.

In Johnson Valley wheeling the week of King of the Hammers

But guess what....It wasn't enough. I got the Ultra 4 racing bug after watching a couple King of the Hammers races and helping build some top notch race buggies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
XJ buggy on tons...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
1990JEEPXJ

1990 XJ Cherokee 

excellent jeep man. i have read your build thread on pirate. good to see some very built XJ's over here on JF.

Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
post #3 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:21 PM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Nicely done. Got any build pics?

post #4 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

So hear is the new plan.

I am in the middle of building a custom crossmember for the front that will house a 9000lb Warn that I will use for recovery and a suck down winch.

Also I am going full hydro for the steering. All PSC parts. 2.5x8" double ended ram, orbital, cooler, pump, high steer and so on.

Here is what I have ahead of me.

After all of this is done I will be wheeling at Rausch Creek after the King of the Hammers RCQ race on May7th. I will be leading a group though the park including Ian Johnson (Extreme 4x4 and Crawl mag) and a bunch of other racers and comp guys.

But after the race, all hell breaks loose. I am cutting the XJ into pieces and tubing the whole thing so it can withstand the riggers of Ultra 4 racing. It is getting Bilstien coilovers on all 4 corners along with a 4.6L stroker motor and a bunch of other goodies. A turbo is included in that list of goodies.

After it is all said an done I will be looking at the following

XJ based tube buggy
Engine - Turbo 4.6L stroker
Trans - AW4 with a large cooling system
Transfer Case - 231 doubler, D300 with 32 spline outputs
Axles - D60/14bolt with chromoly shafts 4.56 gears
Shocks - Front - Bilstein 2.5" 9100 Series Coilovers with valved reservoirs
Shocks - Rear - Bilstein 2.0" 9100 Series Coilovers with reservoirs
Bilstein Air bumps all around

XJ buggy on tons...
post #5 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
Nicely done. Got any build pics?
Everything is on Pirate
Chopped XJ Rear 3 link and Coils - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

I wanted the share with the Jeep Forum crowd because I know Pirate can really put people off because of all the attitude over there. Pirate is strictly hardcore and not for everyone. So I thought you guys could use a refreshing tech savvy build thread over here.

I have done just about everything you can imagine when it comes to an XJ and a lot of other rigs. So feel free to ask questions. I will give you straight forward answers whether a setup or part works or not.

XJ buggy on tons...
post #6 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks. I just saw the other comment about the thread on Pirate. I subscribe too there but only lurk since my '88's just a grocery getter.
post #7 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:40 PM
2doorxj
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

I too have seen this on Pirate, and i hope to see your rig on Xtreme 4x4 haha

Waggy 44s, chromo shafts, 4.88s, spools, mid arm 3 link, 35" kevlars

2012 Cherokee of the Year
post #8 of 114 Old 04-19-2010, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2doorxj View Post
I too have seen this on Pirate, and i hope to see your rig on Xtreme 4x4 haha
Me too. We are working to get them to shoot for Crawl Mag. I will talk to Ian later this week. Hopefully we can get the Extreme film crew out.

Some others may have seen when I was in JP.

I will try to update this thread as much as I can. Hopefully tonight I will have the new crossmember done and the winch in and ready to go.

Full hydro will be done as soon as PSC sends me the right parts.

XJ buggy on tons...
post #9 of 114 Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 AM
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Subscribed!! Nice to see a kick *** xj here on jf!! I'd like to pick you brain a bit. I wanna build a 3 link, got links to good write ups? Sorry about the hijack ill shut up now!
post #10 of 114 Old 04-20-2010, 06:29 AM Thread Starter
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjhavens View Post
Subscribed!! Nice to see a kick *** xj here on jf!! I'd like to pick you brain a bit. I wanna build a 3 link, got links to good write ups? Sorry about the hijack ill shut up now!
Thanks for the complements.

No hijack. I am here to help.

Here is my buddy Chris's 3 link front 4 link rear build.
My link setup: design -> results - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Here is my 3 link build.
Chopped XJ Rear 3 link and Coils - Page 13 - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

A little progress

Bent up the mount for the ram

Started working on the crossmember/bumper

My helper

Nearly finished product

Rear view of how I did the clevis mounts. Cut square holes and dropped the clevis in about 1/4" and welded them from behind. I will then weld the fronts tonight.

Hopefully have everything mounted up tonight. Then tomorrow I can move onto mounting the orbital, cutting brakes and fabbing a reservoir

XJ buggy on tons...
post #11 of 114 Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM
HavenSOV
1973 XJ Cherokee 

Very nice, great job...

-HavenSOV
Bertha: '91 XJ 4.5 RC, JCR stg 2 Sliders, JCR TC Skid, JCR Stg 3 Rear Bumper, 4.0 HO, Cragar V5's, 31 Dakota M/T, Custom Staff Caring Tubes, Wally World Driving Lights.
Kermit: '93, stock right now but will soon have all parts from Bertha.

post #12 of 114 Old 04-20-2010, 12:58 PM
EricsXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice rig!

Thanks for posting the build here also.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -

post #13 of 114 Old 04-20-2010, 01:48 PM
Gnl.Weirdness

2000 XJ Cherokee 

awesome awesome AWESOME....
post #14 of 114 Old 04-21-2010, 01:38 AM
xjhavens
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the links man! I need to do some more reading!
post #15 of 114 Old 04-21-2010, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
xjcrawler736
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Almost got the bumper welded up last night but I had to do some family stuff. I also forgot my memory card at home so I don't have the pictures to load.

I did get the rest of the holes drilled for the winch. Welded the front of the D-ring mounts and welded in studs to bolt down the fairlead.

Everything is super tight. I really have limited room in more ways then one. When I get everything mounted up tonight I will shoot some pictures of how close everything is.

Tonight I will button up the bumper and winch and move over to some other things. Cutting brakes, Orbital mount and so on.

Just remembered I do have a cell phone picture of the finished bumper.

Hopefully lots of pictures tomorrow.

XJ buggy on tons...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in