EVAP Cannister Replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Fang
2000 XJ Cherokee 

EVAP Cannister Replacement

So I'm going to start by explaining that I'm not particularly vehicle savvy. I turn the key, it goes where I need it to go. You'll likely gather that from my post but I hope you may be able to answer my question.

This Jeep Cherokee is from 2000 and I got it about 4 years ago. It had had somewhat of a rough life and with a fair amount of work put in it's worked well all the time I've had it. Last year we had some major issues (axles jammed etc. Large mess but it was fixed up in a timely manner except that it's continuing to throw an EVAP code. NH will not pass a vehicle throwing an EVAP code. I've had it to 3 mechanics all of which have told me "It's probably just you overfilling the gas tank".

I had enough and brought it to a new one today who ran a smoke test at my insistence and said it was leaking from the top of the canister but they couldn't tell if it was a hose or a cannister without really going deeper and I was foisted off to the dealer. I think they just didn't know how to get off the cover and didn't bother to do anything else.

After clicking around on here I think I found the answer, fed it through someone car savvy and it looks quite plausible. I'm printing it off and taking it to my 3rd mechanic in as many months and having them check about before I just take it to the dealer on Friday.

I need to get it to pass an emissions test in 2 weeks or I'm going to have to get rid of it. Worst case scenario, what am I looking at price wise for an EVAP cannister replacement at a dealership vs. a sane mechanic? The dealer was cagey when I was asking about cannister cost so I have no doubts if it comes to that I'm going to get screwed.

This is all complicated by the fact that I'm at school in Canada and am only in NH for 4 days maximum. I can maybe get an appointment set up but I have this fear that they'll replace the cannister, it will just be a hose and I'll fail the inspection and be out a whole ton of money which I quite frankly, do not have.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-25-2010, 09:40 PM
tbburg
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I recently had a Dealership here do a smoke test(110 bucks) after which they had to replace the evap. lines to the engine compartment(mine were cracked at the rear of the vehicle). 'Had to do the same thing 4 years ago to find a evap. leak at the tank. Both times, the dealership called me with a quote of the parts to be replace and how much it would be to do the work before they started. While expensive, both times the quote was accurate about what they needed to replace before they started.

All in all, the last repair was $361.00 to replace the evap. line set (the plastic lines that run under the car) and the purge valve.(the $361 included the $110 diagnostic/smoke test)

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice."
My other car is also a Jeep,.. and so is the other one,.. and that one too. How many do you own before it's "a herd" ?
post #3 of 5 Old 08-26-2010, 09:45 AM
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Before going to your mechanic I'd take a look at the hoses as mentioned in the thread you linked and see if anything looks amiss. If its a hose its only going to cost you $5 and 10 minutes of your time. If its not a hose you've knocked some time of your mechanics bill because he won't have to check them.

Also how old is your gas cap? Might want to check/replace that as well. You can get a quality one for cheap at the dealership.

post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Fang
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the replies. We had flooding rains yesterday so my attempts to peer under the car weren't terrible successful. I caved and brought it to the dealer who spent 4 hours searching for my leak. A hose had melted on the back of the engine and cracked. $3 in hose, $120 in labour. My previous mechanic hadn't notified me of an O2 sensor lacking wiring (The dealer actually said he thinks it was cut since it was done neatly and there's no damage or corrosion anywhere around the sensor) so it's back in to the dealer next week so it will be inspection ready. It has however hit the end of its life with me.
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2010, 01:45 PM
zondaracing
1998 XJ Cherokee 

you just turn the key and it goes? i have to press on pedels and turn a big circle....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in