Engine swap and rebuild questions - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 05-14-2019, 06:04 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Engine swap and rebuild questions

I have a 1995 XJ with 2.5L and AX5 trans. 180k miles and the engine idles a little rough due to low compression. It's my favorite year and color so at some point I will fix what's left of the floors and replace the engine even though things are getting pretty bad. I just bought a Millermatic 211 welder and I'm fired up to put it to use.

My neighbor just started to part out his 1999 Wrangler because the body and frame are bad. It has the straight six 4.0L with AX15 trans. I think he said 240k miles, runs and doesn't burn oil.

I assume with the proper mounts his engine and trans would bolt into my XJ without to much trouble. Maybe would have to get different drive shafts. What do you all think? If I do this what else should I be harvesting off his Wrangler to make the swap?

My XJ has OBD1 electrical and his is likely OBD2. I don't imagine that's too much of problem since I'm just swapping the engine and manual trans.

Also the XJ is my secondary vehicle. It doesn't need an engine anytime soon so I could also rebuild the the 4.0L before putting it in. I've never done it and it would be good learning experience. What does it typically cost to rebuild and engine if you try to do most of it yourself? I done all my own repairs for 20 years or more, I've never had the opportunity to do a rebuild though. Would it make more sense to put the 4.0L in and rebuild it later when it really needs it? Obviously it would make sense to at least replace the freeze plugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I assume both are 4WD?

You may both have an NP231 with a driver side drop to the front axle. I would check this before doing anything else, as it will be comforting to know it will drop into position and your issues are concentrated in the engine bay.

Forward of the bulkhead you should be thinking of retaining the harness and boxes from the Wrangler. teh 2.5 and 4.0 are different, eliminate this straight away.

You will then need all sorts of bits from a 4.0 HO Cherokee to finish the swap off from exhaust manifolds to air cleaners. There may be a long list.

Once you have it running, you may need to change the axle ratios.

Cost of rebuild can be as low as $1000. Darn sight easier before you put it in, energy evaporates over time on these projects.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #3 of 3 Old 05-16-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the extensive reply. Yes both are 4x4. Mine has NP231 transfer case, D30 front axle, C8.25 rear axle, 4.10 gears. The part you don't think about is all the bits that will get the drive train linked up to the XJ. From what you said and thinking on it, that list can be pretty long. This would be a lot easier if the donor vehicle was an XJ. Maybe it makes more sense to rebuild and turn the 4 cylinder into a fresh 2.8L stroker. Or maybe just another XJ completely with 4.0L/AX15/NP231. I'm really fighting giving up the one I have though. I'll think on it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in