Engine swap question 90 renix with H.O motor - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-20-2016, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
TubbyXJ

So my xj is a 90 renix an the new motor is a 95 H.O I have the complete motor exhaust an harness I'm going to convert the HO to renix but wanted to know for the exhaust if I get a header for the HO an reuse the down pipe from the 95 will I have any issues

Also who has done the EGR valve delete

Last edited by TubbyXJ; 10-21-2016 at 11:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-21-2016, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
TubbyXJ

Anyone?
post #3 of 17 Old 10-21-2016, 11:43 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Renix ECU won't notice a thing about EGR delete. Plug the holes and remove all EGR- related stuff (plug the vacuum line), and call it a day.
I deleted EGR from both of my 1990 XJs.

I'm not 100% sure if the HO header and renix downpipe are compatible.. it's been 6 years since the last time I owned an XJ, so I honestly don't remember. Using HO engine on a Renix is fairly straightforward, you do need a few things from the old Renix engine but most HO stuff will stay.

Cruiser54 sure will chime in and tell you more

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***

post #4 of 17 Old 10-22-2016, 12:37 PM Thread Starter
TubbyXJ

Thanks for the input but there's so many of the renix ho swapwrite ups an each has there own way and why too use this or that
I wish I had both engines side by side so I can notice the slight differences in them
I did read once how the throttle body form a renix won't work on a Ho intake manifold also remembering write ups on how getting a newer manifold will give you some extra breathing improvements.
Then there's the whole exhaust manifold what are the differences between the ho an renix and good luck finding a header for renix
I haven't been on the forum in years and couldn't remember my old password for here had to make a whole new account
post #5 of 17 Old 10-22-2016, 08:12 PM
Qchunter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Renix ECU won't notice a thing about EGR delete. Plug the holes and remove all EGR- related stuff (plug the vacuum line), and call it a day.
I deleted EGR from both of my 1990 XJs
What is the benefit of removing the EGR?

89 XJ 4x4 3" Pro Comp, 4.0, AX15
bought 8/7/16 so still learning
post #6 of 17 Old 10-23-2016, 09:41 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qchunter View Post
What is the benefit of removing the EGR?
Less stuff that can break/ malfunction, and no exhaust gasses contaminating air intake manifold with crap.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #7 of 17 Old 10-24-2016, 12:28 PM
Qchunter
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timo_90xj View Post
Less stuff that can break/ malfunction, and no exhaust gasses contaminating air intake manifold with crap.
I like what your saying, I'm gonna remove it.

89 XJ 4x4 3" Pro Comp, 4.0, AX15
bought 8/7/16 so still learning
post #8 of 17 Old 10-26-2016, 08:13 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

There's an easy way to do it.

Only questions are exhaust manifold and headpipe.

http://cruiser54.com/?p=100

As far as exhaust, you can use the Renix exhaust manifold and be fine.
If you want to use the HO exhaust manifold, you must go with an HO headpipe and screw your O2 sensor into that headpipe. Wiring is plenty long to do so.
A bung can be welded into the HO manifold to accept the EGR tube also. Or not.......

This question comes up so often that I will add this text to my write-up in the link above shortly.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

My Jeep technical photos:

post #9 of 17 Old 10-27-2016, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
TubbyXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54
There's an easy way to do it. Only questions are exhaust manifold and headpipe. http://cruiser54.com/?p=100 As far as exhaust, you can use the Renix exhaust manifold and be fine. If you want to use the HO exhaust manifold, you must go with an HO headpipe and screw your O2 sensor into that headpipe. Wiring is plenty long to do so. A bung can be welded into the HO manifold to accept the EGR tube also. Or not....... This question comes up so often that I will add this text to my write-up in the link above shortly.
Cruiser Thanks for the info I figured I would have to use the down pipe Just headers for ho are more abundant I feel Plus I'm going to delete the egr it's a trail rig
Attached Images

post #10 of 17 Old 10-28-2016, 06:54 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Renix headers are/were expensive and I don't know where you'd find them anyway.

post #11 of 17 Old 10-29-2016, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
TubbyXJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54
Renix headers are/were expensive and I don't know where you'd find them anyway.
Correct me if I'm wrong so which exhaust manifold gasket do I go with
I'll now be running the HO exhaust manifold but the renix intake
So I'm thinking I'll have to use one for a 95 and Dremel the intake a bit to match ?
post #12 of 17 Old 10-29-2016, 06:44 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

No matter what you do, ALWAYS use the gasket for the intake manifold you're using. Exhaust ports are the same.

post #13 of 17 Old 12-15-2016, 06:09 PM
mattrowe

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Would my Cherokee Pioneer, 90 xj without the egr system do better for emissions if it was removed.
Just bought this last week and it did not pass, but very close, so its not bad.
Runs great, little miss some times very slight at idle, and sometimes stalls while acceleration from light.
But other wise runs and idles great.
Just installed new plugs,rotor, and cap just because they have not been done in a while and the plugs looked worn a little, but all are burning a nice light tan or brown.
Am going to do a tps,fuel pressure, and continue vacuum check but no vac leaks so far.
But it acts just like a vac leak, or tps, or crank sensor, not fuel because i drove it home 55 mph for 45 minutes no problem but at 2 stop lights a slight hesitation, but i gently tapped accelerator and it took off no problem.
post #14 of 17 Old 12-15-2016, 07:28 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattrowe View Post
Would my Cherokee Pioneer, 90 xj without the egr system do better for emissions if it was removed.
Just bought this last week and it did not pass, but very close, so its not bad.
Runs great, little miss some times very slight at idle, and sometimes stalls while acceleration from light.
But other wise runs and idles great.
Just installed new plugs,rotor, and cap just because they have not been done in a while and the plugs looked worn a little, but all are burning a nice light tan or brown.
Am going to do a tps,fuel pressure, and continue vacuum check but no vac leaks so far.
But it acts just like a vac leak, or tps, or crank sensor, not fuel because i drove it home 55 mph for 45 minutes no problem but at 2 stop lights a slight hesitation, but i gently tapped accelerator and it took off no problem.
Leave the EGR. Do Tips 1,3,4, and 5 in my signature.

post #15 of 17 Old 12-15-2016, 07:47 PM
mattrowe

1990 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks cruiser, i cant click on your links yet not enough posts.
What year does the renix come in, probably mine i figure.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in