ECU Reset/Clear Procedure for 1987 Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee XJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 02-25-2017, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
87Wagoneer
1987 XJ Cherokee 

ECU Reset/Clear Procedure for 1987 Jeep Wagoneer/Cherokee XJ

Hi all,

Is it true that if the TPS is replaced, that the ECU should be cleared/reset? If so, how is this done, specifically, for this year make/model? I bet I spent two hours looking for the answer, but kept finding only answers for 1995+ year makes/models. I only found one answer that claimed all you have to do is "unhook the positive battery cable for approximately 30 seconds". Is it REALLY that easy? . . . With none of the ignition on/off, headlights on/offf, stuff? In case it's helpful, it is the 4.0L/6 Cyl Automatic transmission.

I would REALLY appreciate someone replying who knows FOR SURE if I even need to do this and how to do it. My mechanic's guys supposedly did this . . . and not that I don't believe them . . . but there are some things, when I can, that I like to do myself just to know for sure that all the t's have been crossed and i's dotted.

Thanks so much!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-27-2017, 07:12 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Absolutely not true.

Go to www.cruiser54 for your info.

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Jeep technical photos:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-28-2017, 09:59 AM Thread Starter
87Wagoneer
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thank you! :-)

Oh, and I have visited your site and it is awesome! OK . . . confession . . . I AM a woman, and may have enough of an understanding of some of the things on your site to get myself in some trouble. :-) Hopefully not, but it does allow me to do some legwork -- or at least be able to ask somewhat intelligent questions when I have my Jeep at my regular mechanic's shop for things. I have a tremendous amount of faith in my mechanic and his crew, but still like to understand the what's and why's of things that I have done. I'm learning a lot and enjoying doing so.

I've posted another thread (actually my first and main thread) here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/1...iving-3995562/ if you would like to check it out and see if you have any thoughts/recommendations. Please know that if you do read it and reply, I hugely appreciate your willingness to do so and whatever you may be able/willing to contribute.

Thanks again and have a super day!

post #4 of 9 Old 02-28-2017, 04:49 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87Wagoneer View Post
Thank you! :-)

Oh, and I have visited your site and it is awesome! OK . . . confession . . . I AM a woman, and may have enough of an understanding of some of the things on your site to get myself in some trouble. :-) Hopefully not, but it does allow me to do some legwork -- or at least be able to ask somewhat intelligent questions when I have my Jeep at my regular mechanic's shop for things. I have a tremendous amount of faith in my mechanic and his crew, but still like to understand the what's and why's of things that I have done. I'm learning a lot and enjoying doing so.

I've posted another thread (actually my first and main thread) here: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/1...iving-3995562/ if you would like to check it out and see if you have any thoughts/recommendations. Please know that if you do read it and reply, I hugely appreciate your willingness to do so and whatever you may be able/willing to contribute.

Thanks again and have a super day!
Has your mechanic performed tips 1 through 5 for you?

post #5 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
87Wagoneer
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Morning Cruiser54,

Thank you for your reply. As for steps 1-5 (Sorry to sound ignorant, but I just don't want to make any "assumptions" - smile) . . . are your referring to the "tips" on your website with the first 5 being the following:

1 Ground refreshing
2 C101 connector refreshing
3 Connector and relay/receptacle refreshing
4 Coil/ICM contacts
5 Checking sensor grounds

If so, my guess would be "no" . . . I'm not aware of my mechanic having done those. However, I'm sure if I asked him to, he would do so. Please confirm, at your convenience, that these are the 5 steps you are referring to. Thanks a bunch!
post #6 of 9 Old 03-01-2017, 03:49 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

That's what we're talking about.

Any questions, post them up.

post #7 of 9 Old 03-02-2017, 09:25 AM Thread Starter
87Wagoneer
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a bunch! Talked with my mechanic this morning and let him know I was researching the issue more. Tried to give him a Cliff's Notes version of what I've learned so far -- and about your (1st 5) procedures (C101 Refresh, Ground Refreshing, etc.). He's open to helping me in any way he can, so at some point I'll gather up everything I've documented and share it with him.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-03-2017, 06:37 AM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler

1990 MJ Comanche 

Great. Give him a link to the site.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-03-2017, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
87Wagoneer
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Will do! :-) Thank you again for your input. Not sure how long it will be before I have him do the 1-5, but will report back when done. Have a super weekend!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in