Driver's door makes a loud click/snap when opening/closing - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Driver's door makes a loud click/snap when opening/closing

Hi all,

Lately I've been noticing this very loud clicking/snapping noise when opening and closing my driver's door on my jeep.

It looks to me (see pic) like it's related to this little pin that holds the bar - which hold the door in the open position - when the door is left open.

Has anyone experienced this, and is it that little pin I should be replacing?

BTW that white stuff if just some silicone spray for lubrication; I find that aside from the driver's door which I use all the time (obviously) the rest of the doors, especially the passenger doors have to be pushed hard to close, they don't really close smoothly. Any recommendations on cleaning/greasing/spraying the door hinges would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Attached Images

Last edited by vodka; 04-29-2014 at 08:05 PM. Reason: forgot to add picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 09:17 PM
n5xl
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I had a similar issue when I picked up a 99 xj for my wife....doors very hard to open/close and popped when opened. To fix the issue, I used and still use, garage door track spray lube that is available at most home improvement stores. THis is what I'm using but I'm sure you can find something similar at Canadian Tire or Rona or Home Hardware.

http://www.3inone.com/products/garage-door-lube/

This should work great.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/au...l#.U2BwKlVdVSs

Give the hinges a good cleaning with brake cleaner spray first to get rid of the grime and dirt. Let things dry a bit then switch to the garage door spray lubricant. Make sure to give the hinges a good spray while working the door open and closed. Spray the bar that you show in your picture with the pin a good spray INSIDE the door where you cant see and not just on the mounting bolts. It will take a few days for the oil to seep into the hinges and mechanism but the doors will free up and should stop popping. The rusty color in the hinges in the picture looks like the spray you are using is not making its way into the hinge and its not fully lubricating the pivot. You want to make sure you are spraying deep into the hinge pivot while working the door and not just spraying the outside of the hing mechanism where it wont do anything. Either way, make sure to direct the lubricating spray where it needs to be and you should probably switch to a different type of lubricant that will "run" or seep a bit more than what you are using.

99TJ,AX15,2"ACOS,33BFGKM2
99XJ,AW4,2"OME,JKSShortArms
98XJ,AW4,3"ACOS/Shackles/AASYE/TomWoodsDS
post #3 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey cool, thanks for the tip, would have never thought of looking for something like that.

post #4 of 17 Old 04-29-2014, 10:16 PM
cdn_xj
I've returned to the fold

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Your door check is worn and needs to be replaced.

it's the entire unit that is attached to the "bar and pin" (aka check strap).
common problem as the driver's door tends to see considerably more use than the others.

'99 XJ Sport 4-dr
4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231 - D30, 4.10, Open - ChrysCo 8.25 29-Spline, 4.10, OEM Trac-Loc

Stock with a crapload of bolted on bits
post #5 of 17 Old 04-30-2014, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey thanks for the right "lingo" for this. I found this part on Amazon, looks like it's the right one (55235571AB according the service manual) http://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-Front...eep+door+check.

Do you know of any places in Canada where I could find this cheaper online? Is this difficult to replace (i.e. I have to remove the door, remove the door sides to work on this)?

In the meantime I will get some of the spray and hit the rest of the doors.

Cheers
post #6 of 17 Old 04-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Kevin108

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have to replace the window motor on mine so I'll get you some pics when I pull the door panel. It's pretty easy.

My build thread has pics again. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #7 of 17 Old 04-30-2014, 10:25 AM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That would be awesome, thanks!
post #8 of 17 Old 05-01-2014, 06:33 PM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Upon a closer inspection, it looks like the top hole in the check arm bracket (PN: 5500 2361) is way oversized (zoomed in picture); I don't think this is normally that large, as a matter of fact I read a post from someone else that they experienced the same thing with the top hole getting larger over time and he just replaced the bracket.

It looks like it's that check arm pin being so loose making the noise as it moves around the top hole. I will try and find a check arm bracket, although in Montreal it's likely easier to just go to the dealer, not many junkyards with this sort of stuff, at least it may not be worth it (time/gas spent) if the price from dealer is around $10. We shall see.
Attached Images

post #9 of 17 Old 05-02-2014, 05:16 AM
Kevin108

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I wound up working in the dark, so I didn't get any pics. I did take notes though:

In the door handle are three #3 Phillips screws recessed into the plastic. In the door latch and the top forward corner of the door panel are two #2 Phillips screws. Remove all 5.

Pull the perimeter of the door panel away from the door gently to pop the plastic stays out. You may want to replace them as some usually break.

Lift up firmly on the entire interior panel. It hooks into a channel at the window opening.

Once you have it loose, look behind it. There will be two bundles of wires and two metal rods attached to the panel at various points.

To undo the rods, unclip the little plastic pieces horizontally along the rod and swing them away 180. Sometimes you have to wiggle them a little back and forth a little bit while removing the rod from them. The top rod goes down and the bottom road goes up.

To undo the two bundles of wires, depress the clips in the center of the plugs and pull the wires straight out from the door panel.

Remove the two #2 Phillips screws from each side of the speaker. The plug on the speaker is different from the previous two. To undo it, you need to lift up on the release rather than push it in.

With the speaker out, look inside the door towards the front and you'll see where the two bolts for the door check go through the door body.

Remove the pin from the door check with a pair of pliers. You may need a small hammer to tap it out with.

Remove the two nuts from inside the door and fish the door check out. Get the piece in and out of the door around the window track is definitely the hardest part.

My build thread has pics again. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f177/kevin108s-2000-xj-build-867428/
post #10 of 17 Old 05-02-2014, 06:14 AM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Kevin for the details - I am going to replace the check arm bracket and see if this fixes the issue. Some great detail there though!!
post #11 of 17 Old 05-02-2014, 06:18 AM
JeepaholicNinja
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I had that problem with my passenger door...It went away when the pin fell out completely...It's a Jeep. It's quiet now. So although I can't just hold the door open, I don't have any problems with it as it is. Door feels smoother to open since it doesn't catch on the little door-holder things. But I'm also young, so doors closing on my clothes and getting them dirty isn't a big deal haha...Good luck, though!

2000 Cherokee Classic

3" Zone lift, THULE roof rack, Hella 500 Black Magics
post #12 of 17 Old 05-02-2014, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

That check arm prevents the door from over-opening and putting pressure on the hinges. If someone is in a hurry to get out and opens the door fast it could cause some damage to the hinges/frame. If you're careful all the time I guess it doesn't matter as long as you're ok with the door not staying open by itself. But you have me a great idea, I may switch the left and right side brackets
post #13 of 17 Old 05-02-2014, 06:50 AM
slobra300
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Experienced this same problem with both front doors. The pin over years of opening and closing wears out a larger diameter hole in the check pin bracket which lets it pop around when opening and closing. I ordered new door checks (mine were shot), new pins and new brackets. The **** thing still popped. When to a big box store and got me some properly sized roll pins, tapped them in and it went away.

***If you do end up getting new door checks like I did, make sure you grease the arm. I actually used copper based bolt anti-sieze which works great. The new door checks are very stiff and even with my above mods / replacement parts, it still had a tendency to pop until I greased the check arm which allowed the resistance to lighten up a little***
post #14 of 17 Old 05-02-2014, 08:52 AM
morrie
1999 XJ Cherokee 

After replacing the drivers side door check, the popping noise was still there. I switched the pins from the passenger door to the drivers door...still no difference. The popping noise is still there. I think like Slobra 300... I will replace the pins. Hopefully, that will do the trick.
post #15 of 17 Old 05-03-2014, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
vodka
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yesterday I switched over the driver side and passenger side arm brackets; there is much less noise. At the same time I also used a syringe to push in some high quality lithium grease into the check arm, as well as lube the bracket holes around the pin. Much less noisy now; I'm good with this fix; $0 money spent!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in