Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

double din radio in the XJ?

67K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  jim9006 
#1 ·
Is it possible to install a double din radio in the XJ?

#2 ·
Not without cutting/modification. With that being said, I've seen it done.... I think on the carputer site...

#3 ·
Unless you're installing one HELL of a unit that you got for free or something, don't bother. It's SOOOOO much work for relatively little benefit. I did some research into the carputer thing awhile back, it was actually easier to put a micro-case with a 12v power supply under the rear seat and then install a lilliput 10" monitor on the bezel than it was to use one of the double-din units, because there was a lot less cutting involved. Just get a single din and the adapter plate. There are some 1.5-din units out there if you just can't stand to look at the unit in the bezel.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_764_Pioneer-DEH-P47DH.html

#4 ·
#5 ·
i just made my own mounting plate for a single din unit, moved the HU slot as far up as possible and mounted my subs remote gain and an on/off toggle and LED indicator under it. Its just some 1/8in steel bent and cut to fit, works well, even has room to mount a few more switches.

Ive played with the idea of a double din unit, its do-able in an XJ and the one in my friends JKUR is nice, but it looks out of place and it the touch screen kind of a pain to use. Im thinking about one of Fusions 700 series single din marine units for the next audio upgrade.

Not the best photo but you can see the HU and switch, the gain control is to the right and the LED to the left.

#8 ·
I just installed a touch screen double din. It took some time getting it to look good, but I am in love with it.

If you have the time and want a nice little project, then i say go for it. It is not as hard as you might think it is.

I will post a pic soon

just posted this picture, sorry i dont know how to make it smaller on the forums. but you get the idea. That little slot right below the vents..... I am going to work on making a slide out panel that will come out and hang down to cover the screen.

#11 ·
I can't remember where I found this pic and really wish I could find a bigger better version, but I really like how they did this. Also wish I could find some company that made it being fiberglass is one thing I've never messed with.

I had a flip out in my 2000 but didn't like it which is why I'm going double din (one way or another)

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Gear shift Automotive design

#16 ·
Bump up. I was perusing the facebooks and saw that someone is offering a new bezel that allows a cleaner install of a double din receiver. However I cannot find the brand/supplier now.

If anyone knows I would appreciate it. Like everyone else I have time on my hands and looking for projects.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.