Do I need this gasket? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 12-15-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Do I need this gasket?

In my 4.0 extraction thread https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/...19/index3.html I show where I needed to cut the exhaust flanges apart. The ones right under the bell housing. I figured I would just get a new gasket but when I looked up the part there was no gasket shown. On this .pdf https://cdn.xjjeeps.com/pdf/en-us/20...ts-catalog.pdf it lists a "Seal, exhaust, (NOT REQUIRED)". Really? The flanges seal that well all alone? I am confused. EDIT: Walker shows part # 31625- is that it? img_1155.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-15-2019, 03:53 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Of course you don't need that gasket.
You still have some of it on there. LOL.
Yes Walker 31625 is what you use there.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-15-2019, 03:59 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Ralph. I'll order a couple.

post #4 of 12 Old 12-15-2019, 04:21 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
Thanks Ralph. I'll order a couple.
That gasket is used between the back of the dual front cat and the front of the intermediate pipe.
Also the back of the intermediate pipe and the front of the rear cat.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 03:59 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the diagram for an '00 made after 1/20/00.
I replaced the whole exhaust on my '00. Pretty sure those are all the parts I used.
Those cat numbers are for a CA Emissions vehicle but pretty sure one that is not registered in CA or NY.
Attached Images

post #6 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, that is the page I found too. The CAL/NY dual cats were adopted for all 50 states in 2001 and I have those. Everyplace else I looked either had nothing or showed doughnut types that were wrong. Gotta love Walker.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 12:05 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Yes, that is the page I found too. The CAL/NY dual cats were adopted for all 50 states in 2001 and I have those. Everyplace else I looked either had nothing or showed doughnut types that were wrong. Gotta love Walker.
No that cat, 52304, is not a CA Cat. It is a CA Emissions cat just not for CA or NY.
The Walker 81850 is for our Jeep if you live in CA or NY. Pretty about NY.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXX8...nput=EXH+81850
post #8 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 12:06 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
In a sense.
That cat, 52304, is not a CA Cat. It is a CA Emissions cat just not for CA or NY.
The Walker 81850 is for our Jeep if you live in CA or NY. Pretty sure about NY.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/EXX8...nput=EXH+81850
post #9 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

WOWSERS!!! That's a $582.39 Cat VS a $200 Cat. This is why I am going crazy over what break-in oil to use. Most are loaded with zinc and phosphorous which is bad for Cats. Yes, a lot of NY parts must be CAL version now. I had a rude awakening years ago when I salvaged a brand new total exhaust system from a '95 Sunfire. It had a brand new Walker Cat and I put the whole thing on from exhaust manifold to tailpipe in my '99 Sunfire. It immediately set a code because that Cat was not good enough for OBD-2 emissions.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-16-2019, 03:45 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
WOWSERS!!! That's a $582.39 Cat VS a $200 Cat. This is why I am going crazy over what break-in oil to use. Most are loaded with zinc and phosphorous which is bad for Cats. Yes, a lot of NY parts must be CAL version now. I had a rude awakening years ago when I salvaged a brand new total exhaust system from a '95 Sunfire. It had a brand new Walker Cat and I put the whole thing on from exhaust manifold to tailpipe in my '99 Sunfire. It immediately set a code because that Cat was not good enough for OBD-2 emissions.
But also the CA Cat, C.A.R.B. Compliant one, has a better warranty. The guts are are 50K or 5 years whichever comes first and the external is 50K or 5 years whichever comes first.
The other Cat is guts 2 years or 25K whichever comes first and external is 50K or 5 years which ever comes first.

I was toying with the idea of getting the C.A.R.B. Compliant one cause of the warranty when I had to replace mine but did not.

More like $375 vs. $200 at Rockauto.
I use the Napa site cause I know my way around there.
post #11 of 12 Old 12-17-2019, 04:18 AM
rep-tile
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

It falls back on what is OEM replacement for your vehicle. Your emission sticker or build sheet will tell you if it's CA or Federal emission. If Federal, there is no need to spend the extra money on a CARB legal replacement. On the other hand if you install a non-CARB cat on a vehicle that came with one, you will likely fail inspection if you live in a smog required state and throw a code for cat efficiency below threshold if equipped with post cat O2 sensor(s).

What typically kills catalytic converters is high HC (from engine running rich or stuck in open loop for too long).

04 WJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, DB-ALL
91 XJ 4.0 - Avital 4103, Stage-2 aFe intake system, BBK high flow Throttle Body, Jones Exhaust A3518M-5
post #12 of 12 Old 12-17-2019, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Yes we have CAL grade emissions here in NYC. But the OBD-2 itself is pretty harsh. Even a loose gas cap will set a code. Both my Jeeps are constantly coding the evap system yet not indicating exactly what is wrong. I clear the code and it goes for months before setting again out of the blue. You didn't hear it from me- but there is a way around the "inefficient Cat" code. The ricers have figured out with all kinds of engine mods and exhaust changes, they get that code. So they put a short threaded extension bung that screws onto the O2 sensor. It gets the sensor just out of the main exhaust stream and it thinks all is well. That is how I fixed my Sunfire. As long as the computer is happy, no CEL and you pass.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in