Differences in XJ's produced around the Globe - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old 07-08-2018, 06:46 AM Thread Starter
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj Differences in XJ's produced around the Globe

I was recently in Thailand & I didn't get the opportunity to see these Jeeps in person, I'd noticed some differences in the pictures of the Jeep for sale.

https://www.one2car.com/en/used-cars-for-sale/jeep

Check out the rear center console (2nd picture). Extra A/C cooling.

I think the center console on this one is the switch to switch from "gasoline" to "compressed natural gas (CNG)" (5th picture). Also notice the location of the Alternator.
https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/...ai-noi/4950431

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 07-08-2018, 09:01 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
I was recently in Thailand & I didn't get the opportunity to see these Jeeps in person, I'd noticed some differences in the pictures of the Jeep for sale.

Check out the rear center console (2nd picture). Extra A/C cooling.

I think the center console on this one is the switch to switch from "gasoline" to "compressed natural gas (CNG)" (5th picture). Also notice the location of the Alternator.
https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/...ai-noi/4950431
I looked at a bunch of them. Noticed the things you did. Plus the air box in the one you think is natural gas. Notice how the '97's are the old body style. Also the wood grain steering wheels that some look like they have with the wood grain radio bezel. Tough to tell but it looks like not all the ones with the wood grain bezel have the wood grain steering wheel.

Now to what is really important. If you were out there how come I don't have the metal, under the foam and seat cover, upright rear seat part, 2 back headrests, and the plastic tubes that they go into. LOL. I would have covered the shipping. More LOL.
post #3 of 27 Old 07-09-2018, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I looked at a bunch of them. Noticed the things you did. Plus the air box in the one you think is natural gas. Notice how the '97's are the old body style. Also the wood grain steering wheels that some look like they have with the wood grain radio bezel. Tough to tell but it looks like not all the ones with the wood grain bezel have the wood grain steering wheel.

Now to what is really important. If you were out there how come I don't have the metal, under the foam and seat cover, upright rear seat part, 2 back headrests, and the plastic tubes that they go into. LOL. I would have covered the shipping. More LOL.
Just do what I did, find a Grand Cherokee in the Junkyard, & take the upper rear seat apart, grab the entire metal frame & go to an upholstery shop. Tell them to cut the metal brackets from the GC frame, weld it to the XJ upper seat & reinstall the fabric.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 27 Old 07-09-2018, 01:40 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaskedMallard View Post
Just do what I did, find a Grand Cherokee in the Junkyard, & take the upper rear seat apart, grab the entire metal frame & go to an upholstery shop. Tell them to cut the metal brackets from the GC frame, weld it to the XJ upper seat & reinstall the fabric.
I have extra front buckets so I hope I have all the pieces I need to achieve this. I can't believe at some point you didn't find one and ship just what you needed home. You are going for authentic even more then me. LOL.
post #5 of 27 Old 07-10-2018, 05:17 AM
75SV1

The alternator position looks like a WJs. But it looks like it is adjustable belt tension from the alternator. It does have an idler pulley on the head like a WJs.
post #6 of 27 Old 07-12-2018, 01:44 PM
ddraeg

1998 XJ Cherokee 

All RHD too - The sensible way.
post #7 of 27 Old 07-13-2018, 01:09 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I lived in Bangkok from 1997 to 2004 at the end of the soi from the Jeep dealer in Sukhumvit 59.

The best years for sales were 1994 to early 1997, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees. In July 1997 the market for any car suddenly collapsed and they sold in tiny numbers up through 2002. The factory had lots of parts, the dealers had lots of stock but few orders so it was possible to get a mix of all sorts of stuff, but some of these appear to have had grand Cherokee interiors stuffed in. I remember making an offer of Baht1m for a 1998 model which had been sat for 2 years in the dealership.

I had a 1994 XJ 4.0 Limited at the time and we would go on rallies to the jungles on the Burmese border and up through central Thailand. The XJ was rated as a converted pickup for tax reasons, based on the MJ apparently, and was assembled in Rayong. They were VERY popular, partly because they were cheap and partly because Bangkok floods badly. It looked like this but in bronze metallic:

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/...rabang/5013290

Mine came with running boards, a side hinged spare wheel carrier, large tyres and ABS. I bought it second hand with about 60,000 miles on it. The AW4 started giving trouble so I picked up a used one from a Jeep parts guy in Queensland and sent it off by sea, what a performance in the customs shed at Klong Toey to get it out when it arrived.

I loved that Cherokee, reluctantly sold it and have been buying Jeeps ever since. My current 1995 Cherokee in Indonesia (built in Jakarta) is similar but with aftermarket steel bumpers to fend off motorcycles and without the rear wheel carrier (wish I still had that part):
Attached Thumbnails
IMG01047-20131026-1502.jpg  
downs likes this.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #8 of 27 Old 07-18-2018, 12:01 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

https://www.one2car.com/for-sale/jee...paign=rtbhouse

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #9 of 27 Old 07-18-2018, 12:03 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

I know it is not an XJ but it is a very nice and rare in Thailand Mitsubishi version of a CJ3B.

The seller is rattling on about how beautiful it is but it has also been used for film work. $10,000 roughly

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #10 of 27 Old 07-18-2018, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post

I believe the Air Box "warms" the air prior to going into the throttle body / combustion chamber for better atomization of the fuel. I believe it's part of the emission system.

As for the CNG (compressed natural gas), the natural gas fuel tank is the black cylinder in the back. To the right of the automatic gear shifter is a blue illumination. I believe that is something to do with the CNG system, plus the extra hoses in the engine bay.

I'm not sure what the switch is between the 2 front seats that is on the center console. Perhaps a master switch to turn on / off the rear environment controls?

I'm trying to figure out the wood grain steering wheel...

post #11 of 27 Old 04-22-2019, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

I'm back in Bangkok for a short vacation. I managed to get the wife to help me with looking at a used Jeep dealership. Unfortunately, they only had a single 1997+ XJ. Attached are pictures of the XJ we looked at. I took pictures of obvious differences from the North American XJ's I used to seeing. I'm not sure of the color (moss green?). It's a 1997 model year, with almost 94,000 kilometers on it. Asking price is 280,000 Baht. Enjoy the pictures & check out what's different.
Attached Thumbnails
image1.jpg   image2.jpg   image3.jpg   image4.jpg   image5.jpg  

image6.jpg   image7.jpg   image8.jpg   image9.jpg   image10.jpg  

downs likes this.

post #12 of 27 Old 04-22-2019, 12:07 PM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

They have always made what we would call odd Jeeps around the world compared to what we have in the states. Most of it I have never understood why they are different in ways that don't seem cost effective. Right hand drive and different emissions and such are one thing but cosmetic differences seem expensive.

I remember back in the early to mid 80s that I saw Jeeps that were in Brazil and other South American and Central American countries that looked nothing like the CJs we had in the states and thought they looked weird. Then in 91 I saw that Jeep design show up in the states for a short time in the Wrangler. The 1991-94 Renegade package with its different front fenders and body panels. South and Central America had a truck like our Comanche but with the 91-94 Wrangler Renegade front clip on it as well.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #13 of 27 Old 04-23-2019, 12:27 AM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

And there were Jeeps made in a JV in Beijing in the 80s and early 90s. AMC thought they could enter the market but it did not last. However it did produce a cherokee with a raised roof in the rear, for ministers and army to wear their hats.

Most were very basic, though I did see quite a few around in the early 2000s when I worked in China.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
post #14 of 27 Old 04-23-2019, 09:38 AM
HAZCAT

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BagusJeep View Post
And there were Jeeps made in a JV in Beijing in the 80s and early 90s. AMC thought they could enter the market but it did not last. However it did produce a cherokee with a raised roof in the rear, for ministers and army to wear their hats.

Most were very basic, though I did see quite a few around in the early 2000s when I worked in China.
Not too long ago a forum member posted a picture of a raised roof (solid metal top) extended YJ in Asia as well (believe it was Asia somewhere). It was the YJ front clip and dash but the wheelbase of the LJ Unlimited. And the rear top looked like the Land Rover Defender with a door that opened side ways. Had fold down jump seats that faced each other...basically sat on the wheel wells. He was debating on buying and shipping back here....would be neat to have.

'84 CJ7, 44, 14 bolt, twin stick 300, 109"whl base, 4 linked
'93 XJ Cherokee
'70 CJ6 Dauntless v6
post #15 of 27 Old 04-25-2019, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
The '97 XJ Cherokee I looked at did not have a heater system. I obviously know why. It was interesting to open the hood & see passages blocked off, & the heater hoses completely missing. The rear A/C controls were kinda neat, along with the rear seat arm rests. The place that was selling Jeep also did LPG installation.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in