Dash Code: No Bus> What does this mean?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2007, 07:19 AM Thread Starter
XxpeditionxJ

Dash Code: No Bus> What does this mean??

Guys I got a weird error code that came up several weeks ago. It reads "no bus" and none of the gauges work. It starts to work after a few minutes. Well, it did it again this morning while driving down the street to work. What does this mean and how can I fix it?

Flame Red 2000 Jeep XJ. I6-4.0 Powertec. Dana 30 FE. Chrysl 8.25 RE. NP231 xfer. 245x75x16 on Rubicon Wheels. K&N Cold Air Intake. Magnaflow High Performance Cat. Flowmaster 40 Series. Stuff..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2007, 07:48 AM
FrumpD63
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Loose connection behind the dash cluster. Remove the cluster and clean all connections with dielectric grease. Firmly reconnect everything. Should do the trick.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-09-2007, 07:51 AM
madrabbitt

third thread in a month.

i'm getting good milage out of that pic

Installing HID's in stock housings is bad.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009

post #4 of 18 Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM
FrumpD63
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Haha well played
post #5 of 18 Old 10-01-2008, 01:01 PM
VTEK1

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrumpD63 View Post
Loose connection behind the dash cluster. Remove the cluster and clean all connections with dielectric grease. Firmly reconnect everything. Should do the trick.

This sometimes works, but there is also a TSB out for this 08-15-99 I pretty sure is the number. I have the same problem with my 99 XJ. I've tried almost everything. NSS might need to be cleaned, the CPS wire could have been melted through by the header (which i've heard two people tell me it happened to them) I don't know about my XJ though. I think you should def. clean the instrument cluster both male and female connectors. If that doesn't work the only thing left is to test all the lines from the dash to the PCM. I believe the TCM has something to do with this. did you get an error code? did the CEL come on?
post #6 of 18 Old 07-11-2009, 01:51 PM
tfernsle

My "No Bus" error was due to a low battery. I added some (pure) water to the battery, started up the truck until the alternator kicked in and everything came back on line. For those who oddly have an unsealed battery like I do, water should be above the bottom of the battery tube, but not above the slot in the side of the battery tube. Wipe down the top of the battery before adding water to avoid knocking dirt in.
post #7 of 18 Old 07-11-2009, 06:25 PM
madrabbitt

minor nitpick.

it can be low voltage, not low battery.
your battery needed water, so its output was low.

another cause of low voltage is corrosion or loose battery clamps. Check and clean them after you check the water level.

Installing HID's in stock housings is bad.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
post #8 of 18 Old 07-30-2009, 09:28 AM
markey006
1997 TJ Wrangler 

just had the infamous "no bus" situation happen to my 2000 cherokee sport. al of a sudden wouldn't turn over and guages were all dead. turned out to be the crank sensor. quick fix, runs like new.
post #9 of 18 Old 07-24-2013, 12:50 PM
Athyyra
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I would get the no bus code every now and then. Check engine light would go back off. Sometimes the instrument panel would act all crazy (misreadings on battery, oil, and water temp). This went on for awhile, then it stopped turning over. Changed the crank sensor. It seems to be running fine now.
post #10 of 18 Old 09-30-2017, 07:51 AM
davbetten

I also had this. I removed the cluster, cleaned and put new grease on the connectors. Nothing.
Then I followed the intructions and I flashed the PCM. Everything came back up and it started even better than before. But that didn't last very long. Not sure what to do next. Help Please.
post #11 of 18 Old 09-30-2017, 08:44 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If there is NoBus displayed and the engine starts and runs normally, there is a connection issue at the backside of the instrument cluster.

If there is NoBus displayed and the engine stalls frequently or will not start up and stay running, there most likely is an issue with Crankshaft Position Sensor.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #12 of 18 Old 10-01-2017, 10:54 AM
davbetten

Thank you. I spent even more time cleaning the cluster connection with CRC electronic cleaner. Put new dielectric grease on it and it's working now.
post #13 of 18 Old 12-03-2017, 10:24 AM
vdubbus77

I had the same issue on a vehicle with the new harness installed. I pulled the cluster and the bracket that holds the plugs in place and noticed if I firmly pressed the connectors in place everything worked fine. So I placed a few small washers behind the three screws that hold the plug bracket in place. Now the when the cluster is bolted in it clamps the plugs in much tighter.
post #14 of 18 Old 11-04-2018, 07:30 PM
Craig Bradford

I'm getting the same thing on my 2017 Jk. I do have a weirder part. If the no bus is happening and I shut the jeep off, the temp dial lights stay on and if you push the traction button the dash will light up and read "key in the ignition/ lights on". The keys were in my pocket.
post #15 of 18 Old 11-04-2018, 08:47 PM
222Doc

2012 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Bradford View Post
I'm getting the same thing on my 2017 Jk. I do have a weirder part. If the no bus is happening and I shut the jeep off, the temp dial lights stay on and if you push the traction button the dash will light up and read "key in the ignition/ lights on". The keys were in my pocket.
You have a Jk as well this is the Xjs that are what near 20 years old now. That 2017 you should be under warranty. There is nothing on that Jk in the Electrical that is even close to simple.

But like most issue Check the battery, mainly at load . has anyone did anything to this jeep? aftermarket . say like just put a winch in or other high draw power out that connects to that battery? There is an issue for those that think they can use that 10m bolt that clamps the cable down as a connection point. adding anything under that bolt will make the Tapper part of it fail to tighten and you have a loose connection< simple stuff that makes things go bad...

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in