Crank position sensor problems (maybe) - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 46 Old 09-22-2018, 03:03 PM
edstevens

This article was great and informative and fixed my issue

Thanks for this info for the replacement of the CPS. This happened to my 2000 Cherokee yesterday. My car exhibited no prior indication something was going to go wrong. One day it worked fine, the next it would not start at all. No start-and-quit. Just no start at all. No non-standard dash light indicators either.

I would like to clarify the testing procedure as the diagram above was a little confusing for me. The pins marked A-C correspond to the lower diagram showing pins 1-3. A=1, B=2, C=3. Testing with pins 2 & 3 will be the same as B & C. The connector is being shown with the lock tab at the top

I think the symptoms for the Idle air sensor and the O2 sensors would be slightly different. When troubleshooting, the attention to detail in the actual symptoms is very important. In my case there was no prior indication anything was wrong. Started one day and no start the next.

The part I got from O'Reilly was $93 before tax (2018). I took the old part in with me to make sure of the multimeter readings and the contact type. A $10 lower priced one was listed but not available.

To remove the old part I pulled myself beneath the driver side door area and used a 7/16" deep well socket with a 12" extension to come straight to the rear of the car from the bolt heads, and once they were loosened, I was able to back them out by hand. It was a very tight fit for my hands. Be careful not to drop the top bolt into the bell housing. Once both bolts were out the part came out easily. When I had the new part, I positioned the part from under the hood by reaching one hand blindly into the location and postioning the part by feel. It took a couple of tries. To re-install the bolts I loosely taped the bolt into the 7/16" socket with electrical tape and maneuvered them into the holes, threaded them by hand as much as I could, and then used a ratchett to set them to the final tightness.

The engine started immediately after the installation.

This above article was very helpful.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Tags
cps , crankshaft position , sensor

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in