Cracked exhaust header if noise stops if pulled on injector plug? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobthecatkiller

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 03-03-2017, 10:27 PM Thread Starter
98JeepClassic

Angry Cracked exhaust header if noise stops if pulled on injector plug?

I recently had a re-man engine put in my 98 Classic XJ. Had a dealer do it so I could get 3 year 100,000 mile warranty since i'm not "Certified" mechanic.

The first engine the dealership said had ignition timing issues, but noticed that my radiator was wearing out and needed replaced they mentioned, while trying to send back the first engine back for another replacement.

If exhaust manifold was cracked, i'm sure they would have mentioned it the first time.

They got the second engine in, and got it back together. They then stated that only after the engine was put back together that they noticed/mentioned the the exhaust manifold was cracked, making a ticking sound upon acceleration. Didn't tell me when I picked it up though.

Also an oil leak that looks like coming from main seal on garage floor. They said it was from residual oil that was on under body. But still leaking after 2 weeks.

One one think if it was cracked, that it would be noticed the from the first engine, after put back together and running, albeit the ignition timing they said was off.

My buddy who used to be a mechanic came over and basically removed the injector plugs from cylinder 5 first... with no change in manifold sound, and then, put it back on.

He then removed injection plug from cylinder 6. Noise from exhaust manifold "stopped". And sounded normal.

If there was a crack in the manifold, I and my buddy would think no matter which cylinder is firing, that there would still be the ticking sound, since every cylinder would contribute to the exhaust noise, and not just from cylinder 6 not firing.

Anyone ever experience anything like this? Could it be main long exhaust gasket? or maybe the round gaskets that go into the headers, like on harley engines, one per cylinder?

Thanks for any feedback or advice. It has stalled twice since I got it back also, with OBD-II codes reading cylinders 5 and 6 misfired. I engine lost acceleration and engine light blinked 3 times once per second, and then stopped, and light went back off and everything was normal albeit the ticking sound from exhaust manifold.

Glad I wasn't trying to cross a highway or intersection at the time.

I took it back after first stall (but had codes read first before brought back in), they said they didn't find anything, and cleared the codes not knowing I already had them read. Service manager said they found nothing, and I showed him the screen shot, then left before I lost my temper.

I took it above the dealership by calling chrysler corporate, and making a complaint.

Seems to have worked, since I got a call from the dealership, asking to bring jeep back in for meeting Monday morning to discuss what had happened. Is Button Dodge out of Kokomo Indiana.

Thanks for any advice or feedback on if exhaust manifold would/should still make "the" sound if only pulled one injector plug. And if residual oil would still leak off under body after 2 weeks lol.

Seems like I'm losing my mind, and even had it up on lift to take a look at a muffler shop. The dude even said looked like a main seal leak.

Thanks for any feedback or advise.

Rough Country 3" Jeep Series II Suspension Lift Kit with Performance 2.2 Shock Series
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 AM
bobthecatkiller
2000 XJ Cherokee 

The Intake and exhaust bolt together to the head, the intake sits on dowel pins, alot of times IV seen them not seat properly on the dowel pins which would give a exhaust/intake leak only thing I can think of.

As for the leak alot of mechanics love to tell people the rear main on these 4.0s love to leak but IMO that's just not the case. It's more likely the valve cover or oil filter adaptor leaking down.
98JeepClassic likes this.

"****, I might **** around and bring the Jeep back No doors on it, flexin' with the seat back"

Tags
crack , exhaust , stall

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in