cooling system issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2016, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
bfrat
1997 XJ Cherokee 

cooling system issue

Flushed heater core about 6 weeks ago & had heat again. However, now I think I have a bad water pump and/or thermostat. Who can help? Here is the latest.
Went to refill the system after replacement with (GATES) upper and lower hoses (low sprung a leak). Left radiator cap off, started engine, let warm up, then turned on heater, waited for jeep to get up to temperature...after waiting 15-20 minutes the fluid would not drop into the radiator, but started to back out at the cap, call it burp or vomit, but it expelled out where the cap locks down. Things I observed...no heat came thru the vents, inbound line to heater core was not hot to the touch, upper radiator hose was hot, noticed engine block began to smoke, SHUT IT DOWN! Didn't feel the lower hose at the time though may be should have...
Do I now need to replace thermostat and water pump? Is there more to this (I realize it's a possibility but seems to me I have/had a pressure issue that led to pin whole leak in lower hose)?

Going to start with replacing thermostat (195 degree), remove water pump and inlet tube to inspect condition.

Frat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-21-2016, 11:10 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Get a stant super-stat (also sold as NAPA's premium line) if you can and inspect the water pump is the best advice. You should probably do the rad cap while you're refreshing the system anyway, stats and caps are cheap as these things go. If it was my rig, I'd go ahead and flush it again then replace pump, stat and cap. Nasty coolant through new parts just seems counter productive.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2016, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
bfrat
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post
Get a stant super-stat (also sold as NAPA's premium line) if you can and inspect the water pump is the best advice. You should probably do the rad cap while you're refreshing the system anyway, stats and caps are cheap as these things go. If it was my rig, I'd go ahead and flush it again then replace pump, stat and cap. Nasty coolant through new parts just seems counter productive.
Prestone Cooling Systm Flush Part PAF AS105Y?

Frat

post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2016, 12:24 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrat View Post
Prestone Cooling Systm Flush Part PAF AS105Y?
That's what I used last time, worked well. My system was LONG overdue for a flush.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2016, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
bfrat
1997 XJ Cherokee 

1 bottle enough?

Frat
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2016, 12:42 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfrat View Post
1 bottle enough?

yeah. Procedure for a basic flush is pretty simple. Drain the rad, top off with the contents of that bottle and distilled, run until it reaches temp at a little after, 5-10 minutes. You can do longer or even drive around a couple days for a deeper clean, but that's usually not necessary.

I prefer to do one BEFORE I replace components, but if you feel like you need to do the stat and pump to get your cooling system flowing, then it certainly still helps to do it after.

Don't get over-eager and use two bottles for double the clean or anything. Could start eating at gaskets and such instead of just gunk if it gets to be too strong of a concentration.

Tags
burp , cooling system , radiator

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in