Cooling problem - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-13-2020, 08:34 PM Thread Starter
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Cooling problem

I bought a 1996 Jeep Cherokee XJ. And I noticed that when I drove it around town it would stall and wouldn't start. If I waited long enough it would start again. So I figured a bad fuel pump. So I bought a fuel pump and parked it in the driveway and procrastinated with the repair until this weekend (understanding wife).
As I was looking it over I noticed that I didn't have a mechanical radiator fan, instead it has two electric fans. So I idled the rig and waiting for the fans to engage and guess what, the fans never started.
So maybe that's what's been happening, my jeep has been overheating because I don't have a cooling fan.
The fans on there don't have any identifying labels, so I don't know if they're wired right (in fact I think they're wired wrong).
I was thinking instead of trying to diagnose what's going on, just buy a new fan.

Anybody have any ideas on what fan to buy? Electric, I imagine.

What do you guys think?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-14-2020, 04:43 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Properly maintained, the factory original cooling system is all that is needed. There is no effective all electric cooling fan set-up, or cost benefit from all electric cooling fans. Stop by the junkyard and grab the necessary parts.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 7 Old 09-15-2020, 02:25 PM
UKXJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
When I got my 1st XJ (8 years ago?) the forums were full of how to junk the old-fashioned, power sapping, fuel burning, noisy, inefficient mech fan & fit a 2nd e-fan.

Sounded good to me, I'd run a couple of Jags previously with the mech fan removed with no problems - even in S. Africa! Anyway, I did remove the mech fan from my '96 but never got round to fitting the 2nd e-fan (mainly 'cos I wanted it separately switched - but never sorted out how best to do that), & it worked just fine. Always meant to do the same with the ones that came after but still haven't (although, in preparation, never did replace the shroud on the '98, after doing the head gasket).

Seems like in so many things, there are fads, fashions & cycles, so will I still remove my mech fans? Probably on the '98, which is evolving into more of an off-road plaything but would I re-fit one to a "new" XJ already converted to 2 e-fans? Most certainly not!

post #4 of 7 Old 09-15-2020, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKXJ View Post
When I got my 1st XJ (8 years ago?) the forums were full of how to junk the old-fashioned, power sapping, fuel burning, noisy, inefficient mech fan & fit a 2nd e-fan.

Sounded good to me, I'd run a couple of Jags previously with the mech fan removed with no problems - even in S. Africa! Anyway, I did remove the mech fan from my '96 but never got round to fitting the 2nd e-fan (mainly 'cos I wanted it separately switched - but never sorted out how best to do that), & it worked just fine. Always meant to do the same with the ones that came after but still haven't (although, in preparation, never did replace the shroud on the '98, after doing the head gasket).

Seems like in so many things, there are fads, fashions & cycles, so will I still remove my mech fans? Probably on the '98, which is evolving into more of an off-road plaything but would I re-fit one to a "new" XJ already converted to 2 e-fans? Most certainly not!
Thanks fellas for the replys. BTW that Understanding wife is a west-end girl.
post #5 of 7 Old 10-14-2020, 11:10 AM Thread Starter
runningonempty
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Properly maintained, the factory original cooling system is all that is needed. There is no effective all electric cooling fan set-up, or cost benefit from all electric cooling fans. Stop by the junkyard and grab the necessary parts.
Yeah, I was going to go your route but when I looked it over I'd have quite a bit of work making the transition back to stock. So I took the easy way out and hooked up both electric fans to the stock wiring and...Voila! they both work...so far. Also had to replace the thermostat which was bad probably due to the overheating.

The real test will come when I take it out four wheeling and see if she overheats while crawling all day.
post #6 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 10:38 AM
KF4SQB
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post

Wanna bet? I have a dual electric fan setup on my '94 4.0 XJ, and it works beautifully. I used the dual fans out of a 2000 Ford Contour (I think? Its been a while...), which I don't really recommend, as it was a bugger to handle the mechanical fit of them. But, operationally, it works great. I'm using an industrial temperature controller, with dual outputs, and seperate settings for each output. One output turns on one fan at 195, and the other output turns on the other fan at 200. I used Volvo fan relays to interface the temperature controller to the fans. It has worked flawlessly for me for a number of years now, and performs engine cooling far better than the stock setup ever did. I also have one fan set up with a manual override, so that it can be switched on manually, which works great for extended periods of idling. I mainly used that feature as a volunteer firefighter, when using my XJ's offroad lights to light up wreck scenes at night. The only things used to put in this setup were junkyard parts, with the exception of the temp controller, which I only paid around $30 US for. It was probably less than $100 US for the entire install, and it has been running flawlessly for over 5 years now.

4-wheeling: because football, basketball, baseball, and golf only require one ball!

Confidence: The feeling you get just before you fully understand the situation!
post #7 of 7 Old 10-18-2020, 02:11 PM
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Had my first ever "Overheating" issue in 19 years and 218000 miles of daily driving last week. only "in the red" for about 3 minutes. [2001xj 4.0/Auto]

Major Issue????

Original radiator cap finally gave up the ghost. [ after the aforementioned 19 years/218000miles]
New one installed, coolant topped off and burped, all good.

Nothing at all wrong or deficient in a well maintained stock cooling system.... Mine has run a consistent avg 195.8 for all those miles; freeway, mountain passes, back roads, cross county.... this is the first time ever the gauge went above the 210 mark. Gauge confirmed with "real time" running OBD dongle/Torque app.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in