Control Arm Bushings...What else? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
squirlgod

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Control Arm Bushings...What else?

Ok so over spring break I think Im going to do all my control arm bushings. They are pretty much the last thing in the suspension and steering that hasn't been replaced in the last year and its pretty noticeable due to sloppy steering and noises when weight shifts front to back.

How hard is the job and what else should I do when I got them off?

"Yeah....It's Purple."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 05:15 PM
need4speedtonka

1999 XJ Cherokee 

i would get the pollys,they way easier to install that the original ones,some say they transform road noise ,if you run street tires you wont hear a think

sold my yj,got myself an xj i always wanted!
post #3 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
squirlgod

1999 XJ Cherokee 

wait the transfer or they transform? Are you saying these bushings will make my car do this?

I am not too worried about noise, but I am confused about how to install them. Will I need a vice grips or something to squeeze them in there?

"Yeah....It's Purple."

post #4 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
nateyz2000

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirlgod
wait the transfer or they transform? Are you saying these bushings will make my car do this?

I am not too worried about noise, but I am confused about how to install them. Will I need a vice grips or something to squeeze them in there?
Dead blow... Those work well... Just do one at a time...

Keep on Keep'in on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<><
post #5 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
squirlgod

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Also, the parts websites make it confusing....I need 6 bushings total right? There are 4 on the lowers and only 2 on the uppers right? I cant find a straight answer to that.

edit: I guess there are 4 up top: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...?prod=2%2E3105

"Yeah....It's Purple."
post #6 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 06:51 PM
nateyz2000

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Also, the parts websites make it confusing....I need 6 bushings total right? There are 4 on the lowers and only 2 on the uppers right? I cant find a straight answer to that.

edit: I guess there are 4 up top: http://www.energysuspensionparts.com...?prod=2%2E3105
There should be one on each end of arm...

Keep on Keep'in on

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

<><
post #7 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 07:00 PM
gist901
2011 WK 

If you want to make it easy just buy new CAs, its a little bit more expensive but easier. Also remember that two of the bushings are located on the axle, not the arm. These can be really hard to get at.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 07:34 PM Thread Starter
squirlgod

1999 XJ Cherokee 

hopefully nothing a BFH cant crack....or possibly some propane. Id rather not buy all new CAs....Or could renting a ball joint press do the trick perhaps?

I dont really want to buy one of these:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=94806_0_0_

"Yeah....It's Purple."
post #9 of 13 Old 03-08-2012, 07:49 PM
nateyz2000

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
hopefully nothing a BFH cant crack....or possibly some propane. Id rather not buy all new CAs....Or could renting a ball joint press do the trick perhaps?

I dont really want to buy one of these:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=94806_0_0_
Should be able to rent it... Yeah, the ones on the axle are not as easy...

Keep on Keep'in on

<><
post #10 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 04:20 AM
mbardeen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Just did this myself a couple months ago.

On the axle there are two. The one on the driver's side is a PITA, took a BFH to get that off as the housing is solid. The passenger's side came off easy for me. You'll probably need to rent a press to get them back on.

When I did the bushings in the control arms, I took the lower ones off, then took them to a shop that had a press, reinstalled them then did the upper ones the same way.

Needed to go to the shop twice, but it was fairly cheap each time.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 06:24 AM
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirlgod View Post
Ok so over spring break I think Im going to do all my control arm bushings. They are pretty much the last thing in the suspension and steering that hasn't been replaced in the last year and its pretty noticeable due to sloppy steering and noises when weight shifts front to back.

How hard is the job and what else should I do when I got them off?
Some guys (who don't live in the Rust Belt) say it's easy. Mine was a gigantic all day PITA job. Several times during that day I cussed myself out for not spending the few extra bucks for new ones with the bushings installed. After that really bad day I decided to have a shop replace my track bar...it took them two hours to get it off.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 08:16 AM
graytm4
1997 XJ Cherokee 

sorry to hop on your thread. but ive been in extreme need of some new bushings, but i cant find rubber ones anywhere for my 97 xj, im probably just overlooking them. can some one point me into a general direction
post #13 of 13 Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 AM
gist901
2011 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by graytm4
sorry to hop on your thread. but ive been in extreme need of some new bushings, but i cant find rubber ones anywhere for my 97 xj, im probably just overlooking them. can some one point me into a general direction
Go to rockauto.com....and get Moopar bushings. Rubber if you want a nice ride or poly if you want longer lasting bushings and a lil bit of a rougher ride.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in