City lamp /rear fog lamp - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-13-2020, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

City lamp /rear fog lamp

Dear all:

I have a 2000 XJ that was built up for export, there are many differences comparing to the XJ's built for USA market.

One of then is the City Lamp that I see sometimes in the wiring diagrams, also the rear fog light which has a switch in the fog lights switch control panel.

Looked in google to see what the City or rear fog lights look like, couldn't find a thing, wish some one went through such subject can shed some info. I appreciate all your comments.

2000 Jeep Cherokee Classic. Built for export
432K Kilos.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-14-2020, 02:24 AM
MaskedMallard
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Xj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamid View Post
Dear all:

I have a 2000 XJ that was built up for export, there are many differences comparing to the XJ's built for USA market.

One of then is the City Lamp that I see sometimes in the wiring diagrams, also the rear fog light which has a switch in the fog lights switch control panel.

Looked in google to see what the City or rear fog lights look like, couldn't find a thing, wish some one went through such subject can shed some info. I appreciate all your comments.
You might have some better luck in searching with these words.
- Day Time Running Lights.
- DTRL.

I think the Canadian XJ's have the DTRL's. You might have some luck checking around some Canadian models.
As for the rear fog light, that might have to be the European Market / United Kingdom market.

Are you trying to add these options to your XJ, or are you trouble shooting an issue?

2001 BJC Orvis XJ Build -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 06-14-2020, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks MaskedMallard, That was helpful, I will do the search and see what I will come up with.
I really want to keep my Cherokee at specifications as part of my hobby to preserve the original equipment.

I used to have a 2000 Cherokee that was imported used from USA, kept it for 7 years, it was easy to get parts for it. sold it 3 years ago.

Then last year I bought one but it was built for export to middle east, it has are many unique differences as per the build sheet:
1- Front fenders has side small amber turn signal lamp ( maybe a repeater lamps).
2- Cherokee classic built for export has front fog lights, domestic models don't.
3- Tail light lamp cover looks different( back up light in the middle not like US models at the bottom of the light cover).
4- Export models don't have the rear stabilizer bar.
and many more, but still the main major systems are the same.

432K Kilos.

post #4 of 17 Old 06-17-2020, 09:10 AM
monkeyhouse
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Interesting. Mine actually has front fog lights, but it was built in USA.

First Jeep was an 1989 YJ, I've also had a Grand Cherokee. Currently, I have a 99 XJ.
post #5 of 17 Old 06-17-2020, 12:58 PM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

They do come with the front fog lights in the US.
What we don't have are the rear ones. There are 4 bulbs in those tail lights.
Also if he has front fog lights he has the factory 4 slot switch bezel.
I scoffed a rear fog light switch and am going to try and use it if I put lights in the rear.
The symbols on the rear ones are reversed.
Shot I grabbed off the internet. Rear is in the bezel.
Front is the loose one in the picture.
Attached Images

post #6 of 17 Old 06-17-2020, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Very informative Ralph 77, but I wish I could see a pic of an XJ with city lamps and rear fog light.

432K Kilos.
post #7 of 17 Old 06-18-2020, 01:07 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Very informative Ralph 77, but I wish I could see a pic of an XJ with city lamps and rear fog light.
I am a little unclear as to what you mean by city lamps.
I have seen pictures of the tail lights and you can see the differences between US and European.
Have seen pictures of the back and you can see how Europeans have places for 4 bulbs and 3 for US.
But I too have always been curious what the rear fog lights use for a bulb and look like when on too.
US on the top and European on the bottom.
Attached Thumbnails
US Tail Light.jpg  
Attached Images

post #8 of 17 Old 06-24-2020, 12:20 PM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph77 View Post
I am a little unclear as to what you mean by city lamps.

City lights refers to a 5W white bulb that is integrated into the front head lamp unit. Exports have these as the amber front marker lights are not wired up, as the wire is used for the city lights instead.

They are usually referred to as side lights in the UK, and can also be known as parking lights. This is a pic I found on the internet which will show what I mean.
Attached Thumbnails
s843432920725256200_p25_i10_w640.jpg  
post #9 of 17 Old 06-25-2020, 02:03 AM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I appreciate it Ralph, yes the bottom pic is what mine looks like, but I did not checked if it has 4 bulbs, as I haven't done any maintenance on them yet. I will post a pic of my XJ tail light just to confirm.

I too don't have an idea of what is the city lamp looks like, I just saw the term while I was looking at the headlights wiring diagram, so I appreciate that too Jonny when you explained the city lamps.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20191213_070244.jpg  

432K Kilos.
post #10 of 17 Old 06-25-2020, 02:10 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Jeep View Post
City lights refers to a 5W white bulb that is integrated into the front head lamp unit. Exports have these as the amber front marker lights are not wired up, as the wire is used for the city lights instead.
They are usually referred to as side lights in the UK, and can also be known as parking lights. This is a pic I found on the internet which will show what I mean.
So I am still a little confused.
The parking lights, not the little light on the fender, but the ones in the front do not light up with the headlights?
They are strictly turn signals?
Does the little light on the fender light up with the headlights on or is that just strictly a turn signal too?
So that means that European XJ's have an extra bulb in the headlights and this is their version of a parking light?

Quote:
I appreciate it Ralph, yes the bottom pic is what mine looks like, but I did not checked if it has 4 bulbs, as I haven't done any maintenance on them yet. I will post a pic of my XJ tail light just to confirm.
I too don't have an idea of what is the city lamp looks like, I just saw the term while I was looking at the headlights wiring diagram, so I appreciate that too Jonny when you explained the city lamps.
If you ever take off a tail light I would like to see the bulb out of the 4 that is for the rear fogs.
Since they call them rear fogs and they have their own switch I can't see the bulb just being a 3157 in there but.......
post #11 of 17 Old 06-25-2020, 02:37 AM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The lamps on both fenders are for turn signal ( small rectangular amber lights). I think they call it repeaters as in the shop manual/ wiring diagram.

It is my pleasure to go and open up the tail lights and see the 4th bulb, post a pic for you all. Thanks for your reply.

432K Kilos.
post #12 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 04:03 AM
Jonny Jeep
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Euro, Australian/NZ and South African exports have H4 headlamps with an extra white 5W bulb in the headlamp for city/marker lamp. The front/side amber lights are just turn/hazards, which is the same as the overseas TJ set up.

Rear fog lamp bulbs are usually single filament 21W bulbs, but I don't know what type is used in the XJ lamp cluster. The TJ has a separate rear fog lamp with an 1156 bulb.
post #13 of 17 Old 06-26-2020, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Got some info hope it is correct, plus layout of euro/export 2000 XJ tail light photo with details I made.

The rear fog light found to be red and some S UV's has them on separate light. As it is common the fog light started to be in front of the vehicle with white or yellow lenses /bulbs, then for safety auto makers added them on rear with read lens or bulb as in the export XJ's.
Attached Images

432K Kilos.
post #14 of 17 Old 06-30-2020, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here is my tail light opened and you can see the 4 bulbs, and the fog light bulb socket details.

432K Kilos.

Last edited by Hamid; 06-30-2020 at 03:37 PM. Reason: upload files
post #15 of 17 Old 07-04-2020, 03:54 AM
Ralph77
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Here is my tail light opened and you can see the 4 bulbs, and the fog light bulb socket details.
I am not seeing a picture.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in