Carl's Budget SYE conversion thread - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
justanotherjpr

Carl's Budget SYE conversion thread

This is a conversion I did a little while ago, but I've had a few PM's on it so I thought I'd put it up in a post of its own for reference. This is the cheapest possible double-cardon rear shaft conversion I can come up with. It uses a yoke made by PowerTrain to convert your stock 27 spline output shaft from stock to a 1310 CV. I have not been able to cite a junkyard/stock application on this yoke. If someone knows, please chime in.

This is not a true SYE, because you aren't eliminating the stock slip yoke, but it does allow you to do what most of us want with an SYE, run a double-cardon upper joint on our rear shaft.

The Yoke is part number 3103-27CV.
This will slide directly onto your stock transfer case output shaft with no hack, no tap, no fuss. This works with NP231, NP242. Should work on D35, 8.25, D44, maybe 8.8.

What You'll need:
1. Powertrain Part # 3103-27CV
2. A short XJ front shaft. The one I got was out of an early XJ. I believe it was a 2.8v6 OR any XJ front shaft if you want to get it re-tubed.
3. The yoke bolts from the stock XJ shaft you pulled
4. New U joints for the junkyard shaft are reccomended.

Shafting Yourself
If your shaft is short enough (poor guy), it will work with the driveshaft's built-in slip yoke bottomed out. This is not highly reccomended, but it is how mine is running.

If your shaft is too long, slide the new yoke into your transfer case. Approximate its center of travel, err on the side of being too for in. Measure from center to center of your new yoke and your axle. If you aren't sure, cycle the suspension and safely take measurements to ensure you'll have enough travel.

Have your junkyard driveshaft re-tubed so it will be the correct length (don't forget to have them accomodate for the CV joint when determining what length to tube it). Have the drive shaft's built in slip yoke removed at the same time.

Sealing it up
Since this yoke slides in like stock, your stock seal works. The pre '97 crowd should always carry a gatorade cap and duct tape in case they need to run w/o the rear shaft. Stock boot works, too.

Installation
1. Take the proper steps for working under a Jeep. Don't be a bonehead. Don't be drunk. Don't get dead.
2. Bolt your 3103-27CV yoke to your new rear shaft. Double check the bolts.
3. Remove your stock shaft.
4. Slide the yoke with shaft into your transfer case. You may have to do this a few times to get the U joint lined up, or leave the t-case in nuetral so you can spin it.
5. Bolt the shaft to your axle. Now would be a good time to drill it out for U bolts versus straps
6. Adjust pinion angle as needed with shims.
7. Revel in your cheapness.

For me, it works great, doesn't vibrate even at 75-80mph. My XJ is lifted 6" and there is plenty of travel. I have an NP242 and 8.25 rear end. Have not had the slip yoke fall out to date. I do have a 1" t-case drop that I have not removed, due to a stripping front x-member bolt. This will work without a drop. I was able to get the yoke for $30 and the shaft free or cheap. You may not be as lucky.

Around here, a stock XJ shaft is about $20 at the junkyard. It costs about $30 to get one tubed and re-balanced. If you can get that yoke cheap, you can be in this for less than $100.

Final Notes:
This setup should be at least as strong as a Hack N Tap setup, and IMO superior to a flanged hack n tap setup (no bolts in sheer). A Tom Woods HD output shaft conversion, it is not.

Eventually, I will hack the yoke, hack the output shaft and bolt the yoke to the output shaft, like the IRO setup. The main reason is so that I can run the same driveshaft front and rear. I will then carry one spare driveshaft and one extra yoke.

Iron Rock Offroad sells a similar yoke, but they told me they cut thiers down when they get them. If you want to hack and tap, that would be fine.

Otherwise, you can buy the yoke from Six States driveline. Ask for Dan. 509- 535-7671. It is not sold or listed on their website. http://www.sixstates.com.

Here are the specs on the yoke, search the page for 3103-27CV
http://www.powertrainindustries.com/...=1310%20Series

Here's a similiar conversion by Go-Jeep:
http://go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Other Threads with more info:
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=744863
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=667524

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcharge View Post
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?

Last edited by justanotherjpr; 10-22-2009 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Clarity on a few points
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM
beneharris

1995 XJ Cherokee 

awesome! thanks for posting this

1995 Jeep Cherokee- 5" lift, Locked Up Fab Long arms, 31" Km2's. AA SYE kit, with Xj front driveshaft. Dual 12" Pioneer Subs
1967 Restored Volkswagon Bug- DD

Christian Jeep Member #133
post #3 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 12:02 PM
XJH-007

But what about us that have SUPER-long and Thick Shafts??

Great write up!

Scott-Crawlorado Native
I have an addiction.....
*00' XJ_T-n-T Y-Link/6" RE_OME's_33" KM2's
Tera 4:1 / 4:56's_Elec. Locked D44
**84' CJ7 4"BDS 33's
***02 WJ Overland

post #4 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 12:26 PM
TheMULE1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ok so all i would need is a front drive shaft from a 97+xj, 3103-27CV yoke...
and what bolts and u joints are you talking about? do you have a pic of these? and where can i find the 3103-27CV yoke?
sry if i missed something while reading.. or if its a stupid question, trying to learn as much as i can..
post #5 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMULE1 View Post
ok so all i would need is a front drive shaft from a 97+xj, 3103-27CV yoke...
and what bolts and u joints are you talking about? do you have a pic of these? and where can i find the 3103-27CV yoke?
sry if i missed something while reading.. or if its a stupid question, trying to learn as much as i can..
The bolts are the ones that you will have to remove to pull the front driveshaft off the XJ in the junkyard. Save them all.

The U joints are GMB Part number 215-0153. Stock XJ driveshaft U joints. The yoke is sold by a few places, Six States has them in stock. Phone # is at the bottom of the thread. Might google the part # and see if someone has it cheaper.

Quote:
So do you actually hear your thoughts in your head or is it just sort of a dull roar before you smash your face into your keyboard and just submit whatever dumb **** ended up on the page?
post #6 of 17 Old 06-23-2009, 12:36 PM
TheMULE1
1997 XJ Cherokee 

ok got it, thanks. gonna do this today, been wanting to lift the mule up 2 more inches.
post #7 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
justanotherjpr

I finally did the hack and tap on my 2000 XJ with the AW4/NP242/8.25. I have a stock XJ front shaft in there and it's just a wee bit long, so I may have the shaft shortened one inch.

It really wasn't all that hard but it would have been easier if I had bought a kit instead of buying the yoke separately and cutting it down myself. The Kobalt brand tap from Lowes did the job just fine. Did not remove the transfer case, cut the shaft with it in reverse. Drilled the pilot hole (1/8") with the shaft still spinning. I stepped up slowly through 5-6 bits before pushing for the 5/16".

And because this is JeepForum..

Quote:
post #8 of 17 Old 02-07-2011, 11:00 AM
1990JEEPXJ

1990 XJ Cherokee 

yeah i was going to point out that you didnt do an SYE before, considering you stiill had a slip yoke... just one that allowed you to use a front shaft. but now youre good to go

Completely stock, and keeping it that way...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-13-2011, 01:47 PM
egodfrey
Web Wheeler

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Not a whole lot of travel in that rear shaft, well atleast not much compression

So many people to thank here's a start to the list
Spidertrax, Yukon, rustys, warn, branik, PSC, advance adapters, Bad wheels, interco, essentially off-road. And many more

Most of all thanks too Ian Johnson and the xtreme off-road crew for all their work, and 4 wheel to heal for their part in it too.
post #10 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 04:33 PM
drtysanchez
1993 FSJ Cherokee 

sorry guys i know this is in the wrong forum but does anyone know if there is a set up like this or if this will work on a tj also? i will be doing this to my xj as soon as my lift comes in, but would love to go up more with my tj and an sye is the only thing holding me back. thank you in advance.
post #11 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
justanotherjpr

Yes it would work, but you would need to have the drive shaft shortened.

Quote:
post #12 of 17 Old 02-14-2011, 10:04 PM
EricsXJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Glad to see you have a short shaft after all. Err.... what I mean is, like 1990JEEPXJ said you actually have a true SYE now, wereas before you didn't.

I was going to take issue with one of your statements on the prior setup.
Quote:
Final Notes:
This setup should be at least as strong as a Hack N Tap setup
I would argue that it is not as strong as a hack-n-tap because of the longer shaft. The further out the CV joint is from the end of the case the less support it has. Think about the leverage and where the fulcrum is. And while I have not seen this happen personally I would imagine that the longer shaft will be more prone to bending than a shorter shaft due to that leverage and how far out that joint is.

But it looks like you fixed all that by cutting the shaft.

Eric
2000 XJ "PROJECT RUBICON" 3-link front / 4-link rear / coilovers / running 37's on Dana 60s
My website -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #13 of 17 Old 01-01-2012, 11:57 PM
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to resurrect a thread (its not thaaaat old lol), I have an older style t case. Would this yoke adequately seal the tcase. If I take the driveshaft out it leaks it all.
post #14 of 17 Old 01-02-2012, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
justanotherjpr

Quote:
Originally Posted by fedx95
Sorry to resurrect a thread (its not thaaaat old lol), I have an older style t case. Would this yoke adequately seal the tcase. If I take the driveshaft out it leaks it all.
I don't see any reason why this wouldn't seal properly.

Quote:
post #15 of 17 Old 01-02-2012, 01:08 AM
fedx95
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Could you measure the outside diameter of the yoke sometime. Thanks. With that measurement I can compare it to the original diameter and see if it will seal up.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in