can you run a 180 thermostat or will you have computer and emission problems? - JeepForum.com
 15Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 03-26-2020, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Xj can you run a 180 thermostat or will you have computer and emission problems?

So I was thinking of getting a Robert Shaw Thermostat and it comes in 3 temps 160,180, 195 degrees. I've heard running lower at 180 will mess with your computer and emissions which would give worse fuel mileage. I know everyone says it was designed to run a certain way and leave it which I'm fine with but I do snow plow with it and tow so I'm not sure if this will be a good option or just use electric cooling fans.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 03-26-2020, 09:59 PM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

your jeep was designed to run with a 195. if your cooling system is in good shape and had been kept up, then it should not run hot. i run 195 in three of my jeeps with no problems. a lot of people will say that running a different thermostat will cause your computer to always try to adjust for the difference, by making your jeep run rich or run lean. either way, in my opinion you should run what is it is designed to run
2oldjeeps and Davetoo like this.
post #3 of 33 Old 03-26-2020, 10:05 PM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I would not recommend the 180 deg Tstat.

As you mention the system is looking for a higher ECT for a warmed up engine; this 180 T'stat is at the point where the PCM might set code for to cold to long.
Also the elec cooling fan* is not turned until @220degrees.

I would go with stock, the elec cooling fan - is your jeep equipped with one?

* with AC and HD cooling.

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 33 Old 03-26-2020, 11:32 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

Putting in a 180 will not aid your cooling, it is a myth.

The engine is designed to expand and run at 195. Any less and you are increasing wear. The heater will work better at 195, so if you plow you will want the 195.

So it has no positive benefits and a few negatives. But will it run? Yes, it will run.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
post #5 of 33 Old 03-27-2020, 06:42 AM
Wabatuckian

2004 WJ 

Observing my 4.7 live data, it seems it doesn't want to give closed loop operation to anything much under 190 under some conditions. All modern vehicles are similar.

There are thermostats that have higher flow, but still don't open up at lower temp. That Shaw might be one; dunno.

Don't go too wide or it won't slow the water down enough to cool.

Josh
post #6 of 33 Old 03-27-2020, 11:46 PM
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
I would not recommend the 180 deg Tstat.

As you mention the system is looking for a higher ECT for a warmed up engine; this 180 T'stat is at the point where the PCM might set code for to cold to long.
Also the elec cooling fan* is not turned until @220degrees.

I would go with stock, the elec cooling fan - is your jeep equipped with one?

* with AC and HD cooling.
jtec:
regarding the * - My 2000 Cherokee XJ Classic 4.0l, A/T, has the A/C. How would I know if it has the HD Cooling?
Would the HD Cooling have come OEM from factory or are you meaning an Aftermarket Larger Radiator?

Also... On the Radiator, there is the Large Mechanical Clutch Fan on the passenger side of the radiator and then a slightly Smaller Electric Fan on the Drivers side of the radiator. Will my Electric Fan come on at 220 degrees as stated above? (just wondering how that works exactly)
Thank You

Thank You,
Bo

Last edited by riderboy1961; 03-28-2020 at 12:28 AM.
post #7 of 33 Old 03-27-2020, 11:56 PM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by riderboy1961 View Post
jtec:
regarding the * - My 2000 Cherokee XJ Classic 4.0l, A/T, has the A/C. How would I know if it has the HD Cooling?
Would the HD Cooling have come OEM from factory or are you meaning an Aftermarket Larger Radiator?

Also... On the Radiator, there is the Large mechanical fan on the passenger side of the radiator and then a slightly Smaller Electric Fan on the Drivers side of the radiator. Will my Electric Fan come on at 220 degrees as stated above? (just wondering how that works exactly)
Thank You
Fan clutch and electric fan. Temp should be 210.

A Jeep Cherokee uses a silicone-filled expansion spring type of fan clutch for the cooling function of the motor. This type of engine cooling fan has been in service on most rear-wheel-drive vehicles for a long time. It was designed to allow the fan to operate only when the temperature of the engine requires extra cooling. Its ability to turn on and off helps fuel economy and requires less horsepower to operate.

How the Fan Works

When the car is started and the engine is cold, the fan clutch is released and is freewheeling. It remains freewheeling as long as the temperature remains under 210 degrees F. When the vehicle is stopped with the engine running and there is no air moving through the radiator, the temperature will begin to rise and the fan clutch will kick in and draw more air through the radiator, thus cooling the engine down. As soon as the temperature drops and the fan clutch cools off, it will disengage and will no longer draw horsepower from the engine. The fan clutch also releases when the car is under acceleration to allow for more horsepower.
riderboy1961 likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #8 of 33 Old 03-28-2020, 07:13 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

IIRC you have the elec fan you have the HD cooling.

I do not see WHY a good system, clean radiator, all shrouds, good T'stat, pressure cap, good fan clutch and operating elec would not be sufficient in cooler weather.

As for plowing a aux trans cooler AFTER the radiator cooler is suggested.

If it ain't broke - ...

post #9 of 33 Old 03-28-2020, 10:24 AM
jeepguy03
Winning

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtec View Post
IIRC you have the elec fan you have the HD cooling.

I do not see WHY a good system, clean radiator, all shrouds, good T'stat, pressure cap, good fan clutch and operating elec would not be sufficient in cooler weather.

As for plowing a aux trans cooler AFTER the radiator cooler is suggested.

If it ain't broke - ...
Most (if not all) 4.0L Cherokees came with a clutch fan and a electric aux fan. That is not HD cooling. The HD cooling was included with the tow package and for police or government fleet vehicles. It included a 2 row heavy duty radiator and a small transmission cooler. The rest was the same.
riderboy1961 likes this.

0331 head swap DIY:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Build" thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Previous: 1990 XJ Limited, 2000 XJ Sport, 2000 XJ Sport
Current: 1998 Wrangler Sahara
post #10 of 33 Old 03-28-2020, 10:35 AM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Most people don't understand the function of the thermostat. It only maintains the minimum desired temperature of the engine. Once open it in no way determines the highest temperature the engine may reach. Other factors such as fans, radiator, water pump, coolant mixture, all play a role in how hot the engine runs. So when it is 20 outside the 195 thermostat will keep the engine temperature where it needs to be. But in 90 weather stuck in traffic with the AC on the engine temperature is totally dependent on all those other things to keep the engine from over-heating. Putting a 180 thermostat will prevent the engine from running at the optimum desired temperature when the ambient temperature is low. Engine wear and other issues are possible. The old trick of running a 160 thermostat in the summer is often used under certain circumstances like when a huge engine has been placed where a smaller engine used to be and the cooling has not been upgraded. But it is still just a band-aid fix.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #11 of 33 Old 03-28-2020, 11:11 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy03 View Post
Most (if not all) 4.0L Cherokees came with a clutch fan and a electric aux fan. That is not HD cooling. The HD cooling was included with the tow package and for police or government fleet vehicles.
They all did and you are correct. TJs only have the fan clutch and still run at 210. XJs and WJs need two fans to maintain temps.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #12 of 33 Old 03-28-2020, 11:32 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

source of my statement, and the confusion that and/or got me. details get ya every time.

Vehicles equipped with a 2.5L/4.0L
engine and heavy duty cooling and/or air conditioning
also have an auxiliary electric cooling fan.
Wabatuckian likes this.

post #13 of 33 Old 03-28-2020, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
02grandy

1999 XJ Cherokee 

I plan on using a flowkooler pum. p I recently had a 3 row csf all metal that got a hole in it so i had to quickly replace it with a cheapo but plan to get a 2 or 3 row copper or aluminum.
post #14 of 33 Old 03-29-2020, 10:49 AM
riderboy1961

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepguy03 View Post
Most (if not all) 4.0L Cherokees came with a clutch fan and a electric aux fan. That is not HD cooling. The HD cooling was included with the tow package and for police or government fleet vehicles. It included a 2 row heavy duty radiator and a small transmission cooler. The rest was the same.

Great to Know!!
(Sorry I have been jumping into this discussion even though I am not the author)

I attached a copy of the Build Sheet for my XJ.

1) It did Not come with Tow Package.
2) I do Not see H.D. Cooling in the Build Sheet.
3) It Was ordered as a Fleet Vehicle But, as a Rental Fleet Vehicle.
4) I believe I saw a small Transmission Fluid Cooler in front of the Radiator but, the Build sheet does Not mention That either?

From what you have written... If we have a OEM Transmission Fluid Cooler then we should have the H.D. Cooling?
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Build Sheet-2000 JEEP CHEROKEE.pdf (89.1 KB, 5 views)

Thank You,
Bo
post #15 of 33 Old 03-29-2020, 11:09 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02grandy View Post
I plan on using a flowkooler pum. p I recently had a 3 row csf all metal that got a hole in it so i had to quickly replace it with a cheapo but plan to get a 2 or 3 row copper or aluminum.
NOTHING works better or lasts longer than a oem MOPAR radiator and water pump.
1996maroonzjf likes this.

Quote:
TheBoogieman is a jerk.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in