Bump Stops for 3" Lift? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 08:26 AM Thread Starter
JohnnyEpic

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Bump Stops for 3" Lift?

I just lifted my XJ with a Rough Country 3" lift last weekend and have been noticing now when I hit a large bump or come off of something and the rear end compresses, I get a very loud thud in the rear passenger side.

Is it typical to need extended bump stops for a 3" lift? I'm worried that it's my shocks over compressing and I don't want to ruin them so quickly or invert my leaf springs. What size would I get if I need extended bump stops? Would this work...?

1993 XJ 2 Door Country 4.0 Litre HO, AW4
Suspension: 3" Rough Country lift with full leaf packs and HD lower control arms | RE Gen2 Swaybar Quick Disconnects
Wheels & Tires: 31x10.50R15 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO | Cragar Black Soft 8's 15x8 4" BS
Recovery: Rock Lizard Rock Monitor Front Bumper | Drawtite Rear Hitch | Hi-Lift All Cast 48" | Hi-Lift Wheel Adapter
Lights: Four 6" Round 100 watt lights | Two rectangular backup lights | Two Hella 500FF lights on front bumper
Other: Surco 45x50 Sarari Rack | Tranny cooler | Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Seat Covers
Coming Soon: Detours USA Tailbone Tire-Carrier | AJ's Super Rock Rails
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 10:03 AM
boondocksaint

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, you'll need extended bumpstops, and yes, those should work. I can't tell you the best length, because I don't have any rear bumpstops (yet).

David

White 95 XJ - Jacked up and abused
White 98 XJ - Stock and babied
post #3 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 12:17 PM
dopod

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Measure. It's pretty simple to figure out. You can add square tubing as a spacer and use stock bumpstops if you want, or you can extend the surface on the axle side. Or buy them if they are long enough. But you're gonna have to measure.

post #4 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 04:32 PM
gradysjeep

1999 XJ Cherokee 

did you get new shocks with your lift. Your shocks shouldnt be bottoming out just over bumps if they are the right lenght. Bumpstops are more for offroading when you really flex. Thats when you need the bumpstops to keep your shocks from bottoming out and inverting your springs.
post #5 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
JohnnyEpic

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Yea, it came with new shocks. Could it be something else that is hitting do you think? It's only on really substantial bumps. Normal driving isn't that bad it's just the huge potholes.

1993 XJ 2 Door Country 4.0 Litre HO, AW4
Suspension: 3" Rough Country lift with full leaf packs and HD lower control arms | RE Gen2 Swaybar Quick Disconnects
Wheels & Tires: 31x10.50R15 BF Goodrich All-Terrain T/A KO | Cragar Black Soft 8's 15x8 4" BS
Recovery: Rock Lizard Rock Monitor Front Bumper | Drawtite Rear Hitch | Hi-Lift All Cast 48" | Hi-Lift Wheel Adapter
Lights: Four 6" Round 100 watt lights | Two rectangular backup lights | Two Hella 500FF lights on front bumper
Other: Surco 45x50 Sarari Rack | Tranny cooler | Smittybilt G.E.A.R. Seat Covers
Coming Soon: Detours USA Tailbone Tire-Carrier | AJ's Super Rock Rails
post #6 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 06:48 PM
ken_swift302

1996 XJ Cherokee 

what i think what you're hearing is just your suspension doing its normal stuff. you have full leaf packs with makes the ride stiffer and most likely you have twin tube shocks which also makes the ride stiffer. so in all the rear end is just hitting the road hard after a bump because everything is stiff. i get the same problem with my RE 3.5 super ride with RE twin tube shocks. it does it really bad when im really low on gas. no weight in the back
post #7 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 09:11 PM
jersey_jim

1994 XJ Cherokee 

mine had that sound, the front leaf spring bolts were a bit loose.

94 xj - 5.5" rubucon express long arm, 4.56's, shafted & Detroit locked on 35's
post #8 of 8 Old 02-19-2008, 09:53 PM
fedrusion
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Double check your upper rear shock mounts and make sure they are fastened down. I used new hardware on mine and had one side losen up and come loose causing exatly what you are describing. went over everything a second time and have been good so far.

1999 Cherokee 2 Door Sport (To be modified) Mine.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

5.5" Composite lift, Rough Country Control Arm Drop Brackets, 31X10.5X15 Dayton Timberline AT's On Canyons, 31X10.5 Firestone Destination MT's, P.O.R.C. SYE and front CV Drive Shaft, Homemade Short Ram Intake, Locked 8.25. Comming Soon: Stroker.
2000 Grand Cherokee Laredo (To be left alone) Wife's.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in