Buena Vista Carnage, Buena Vista Colorado - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Buena Vista Carnage, Buena Vista Colorado

Here are some pictures of Buena Vista Carnage Trail in Buena Vista Colorado. The trail is rated a 10+ and I definately know why. I have been through this trail a couple of times with buggies but never with an XJ. Here are some pictures of our XJ on the trail:

The Entrance:

The Second Obsticle:

The V-Knotch:
This obsticle is very narrow and if your off by an inch or too it will cause major damage to the body. The pictures do not show the stepness.

CRUZIN ILLUSION
BUILT NOT BOUGHT
By Cruzin Illusion Customs

View the Cruzin Illusion Rig here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Continue of the V-Knotch:

My wife Becky drove the perfect line. My friend Aaron did not have the same luck. This is what happens.

From this point on the trail is pretty nasty. We reach this ledge and it took a few tries but found the line that would get us up:

CRUZIN ILLUSION
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:

/
/
/
/
/
/
post #3 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Here is the Exit:
These pictures do not show you how step this is. If you rolled here you would roll at least 5 times to the bottom. It is very loose and step. Notice the winch line hook up just in case we went over and down the hill.

I am happy this trail was over and very little damage. We had a couple paint scratches to the drivers side flares but that was it.

Here is a list of the carnage to the rest in our group:

Aaron:
Heavy drivers side body damage (to the point the drivers door does not fit)
Tail hatch has some serious twicking
Front fender damage
Front Grille, headlight facia, and corner light

Eric:
Broken front short side axle shaft
Body damage to the right rear quarter
Broken left rear taillights
Dented window frame

Terry:
Broken left front hub
Crushed in driver door
Unknown engine problems after ramming into a very large rock

Don:
Made it about 50 feet when we realized that his front ARB did not engage and back out the entrance

Jeff:
Scratched paint down both drivers side tube doors
Bent/Dented B-pillar
Cut valve stem

Kimo:
Decided not to go through Carnage and yet is voted the "Smartest Club Member"

CRUZIN ILLUSION
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:

/
/
/
/
/
/

post #4 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:28 PM
Slow86prix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

awesome pictures, looks like a nail biting run. Wish my cherokee could do that !!

1995 Cherokee Sport 2dr, 4.5" , 33s, some junk...
post #5 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:31 PM
GottaBeJeep

Looks awesome. When were you up there? I ran Chinamans' Gulch Saturday in my XJ with three built Libbies. We kept teasing about running Carnage, but we're a ways from being capable on that trail. Chinamans has been washed out a lot since last year when we ran it last, so it was a lot more interesting this time.

...Off Road Armor that's "Tough as Scales"
post #6 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeJeep
Looks awesome. When were you up there? I ran Chinamans' Gulch Saturday in my XJ with three built Libbies. We kept teasing about running Carnage, but we're a ways from being capable on that trail. Chinamans has been washed out a lot since last year when we ran it last, so it was a lot more interesting this time.

We were there Saturday. I do agree that the area looks to be washed out alot more then when I was there previous. I actually thought I might be able to run Chinamans afterwards but it took the group 11 hours to run Carnage.

CRUZIN ILLUSION
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:

/
/
/
/
/
/
post #7 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:40 PM
GottaBeJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzin Illusion
We were there Saturday. I do agree that the area looks to be washed out alot more then when I was there previous. I actually thought I might be able to run Chinamans afterwards but it took the group 11 hours to run Carnage.
Last year we did it in late September I believe, and it was cold and raining, had my XJ and four or five KJ's, and were out of there in about 6 hours I believe, and it was the first time for all of us. We started the trail about 1030-1100 and all but one of the drivers had run it before and thought we knew what to expect. Didn't get off the trail until almost 8PM. Everyone got strapped atleast once. Sliders, skids and mufflers got a serious workout. No carnage on the trail, but I think all four rigs limped home Saturday with some new squeaks, moans, and battle scars.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2007, 06:45 PM Thread Starter
Cruzin Illusion
Round Eyed XJ

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBeJeep
Last year we did it in late September I believe, and it was cold and raining, had my XJ and four or five KJ's, and were out of there in about 6 hours I believe, and it was the first time for all of us. We started the trail about 1030-1100 and all but one of the drivers had run it before and thought we knew what to expect. Didn't get off the trail until almost 8PM. Everyone got strapped atleast once. Sliders, skids and mufflers got a serious workout. No carnage on the trail, but I think all four rigs limped home Saturday with some new squeaks, moans, and battle scars.
Chinaman's is a great trail because you can pick the difficulty in most of the obsticles. I just don't like the beating you take getting off the trail. It is a bumpy ride. The rear 4-link helps alot on the rocky/bumpy downhill. I ussually encourage people to do trails harder then they ussually do but if you like your jeep straight I don't recommend Carnage.

CRUZIN ILLUSION
BUILT NOT BOUGHT

(OlllllllllllllO)
Rock Frog

CIC's Build Threads:

/
/
/
/
/
/

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in