BREAK DRUMS; rear passenger HOT! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
xeblx

BREAK DRUMS; rear passenger HOT!

Hey all! Could really use some advice as I, and others are getting no where with this problem. So, I decided to change ALL my breaks, rotors, shoes and hubs, cylinders, on my 2000 Cherokee Sport 4L in-line 6 a few weeks ago. Brand new everything. No problem right? After fighting with getting each lug nut, tire, hub, break lines and darn near everything off. After 3 separate weekends, I made it. Took it for a spin and wash, coming back up the river (55mph) I was smelling what I thought was someone burning tires. It was mine, but only the back passenger hub was ON FIRE when I got home. Cooled down, Next day lifted the jeep, spun tires.. they spun free, took it all back apart bought new spring set, thinking springs are old, causing the shoe to rub against the hub causing it to get hot. put back together, still getting hot. Called a friend. We replaced the breakline, cylinder (I mistaked by lifting it and removing the hub and having my girlfriend put it in neutral then applying the breaks, the pressure without the hub on caused the rubber end piece to fly off.. so it was ruined and bought another) . Put the hub on, it fits kinda snug, unlike the driver side, which has some play in it They are 9” shoes. It’s still getting hot. Now I’m outside with both tires off, lifted, spinning the hub. The driver side spins freely, the passenger side goes maybe 3/4 turn. It feels like it’s tight. Knocked them repeatedly and have the adjuster pin tuned all the way in. I’m hearing this is an issue with some people but it’s because the cylinder is froze and not releasing break fluid. My cylinders are brand new, master cylinder under the hood is full and not leaking anywhere. Does anyone out there have any suggestion as to WHY that one single back hub is repeatedly getting hot? I am literally out of juice dudes.. I’ve even had a mechanic come down to verify my work. He’s supposed to come back tomorrow but I thought I’d try here as well..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 06:09 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

could it be the parking brake? I would disconnect the cable and see if the problem still occurs. Old cables are a problem. Bicyclists us a product called Dri Slide (also popular with gun owners) which is a Mb di sulfide lube that penetrates like crazy

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #3 of 5 Old 06-04-2019, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
xeblx

I didn’t try removing the parking break. But I did remove the park break-strut and spring, I put the hub back on and it fit on perfectly, spun it and it was just like the driver-side, spun freely.

post #4 of 5 Old 06-05-2019, 04:49 PM Thread Starter
xeblx

I couldn’t get the parking break line off, does it require a special tool?
post #5 of 5 Old 06-08-2019, 05:06 PM
40vern
1999 XJ Cherokee 

line

i had this problem once. ended up being the rubber brake line going from the rear axle to the frame. can you get plenty for brake fluid out the rear cylinder when you try to bleed them? if so this may not be your problem

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in