Block drain petcock? - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Wyo

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 08-02-2021, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
mynameisrose

Block drain petcock?

Hey all. Has anyone installed a brass petcock in the block coolant plug hole for easy and clean flushes?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-02-2021, 04:22 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You can if you want, but having owned 8 XJ's over the last 19 years, I never found one to be necessary. I also never use the radiator drain valve, it is too fragile.

I always drain the cooling system by removing the lower radiator hose.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-03-2021, 12:37 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

If you want, the easy way is to get what in the plumbing industry is known as a dishwasher ell, or elbow.

It is 3/8th NPT (For the block end) and a tight 90 that is 3/8th Flare.. Orient with the 90 facing down.

Then get a 3/8 Flare Cap. this is easy to remove with a socket but seals very well.
Fourspeedman likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 08-04-2021, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
mynameisrose

Nice. A 90 out of the block that I can stick a hose on and run into a bucket is just what I was thinking. Thanks for that. I was wondering about the thread pitch too, however I've read on other forums that the thread could also be 5/8 sae or 1/4 npt depending on block casting. I have a 94 so hopefully I can find the right one, or maybe I'll get all three before I do it and have my bases covered.
post #5 of 8 Old 08-04-2021, 08:42 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Well I guess I am dated cause I looked up a dishwasher ell and they now use a garden hose adapter and go to 3/8" compression fitting......... I suppose so a home owner doesn't need a Flaring tool and wrenches to install.

Back in the day the water inlet valve was 3/8 NPT and you used copper pipe and a flair to hook them up.

So What you want............... 3/8 NPT X 3/8" Flair adapter ell. and a 3/8" Flair cap.
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon....L._SL1125_.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/16461260572...sAAOSwFj5f6ohW

Last edited by Wyo; 08-04-2021 at 09:10 PM.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-05-2021, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
mynameisrose

I saw that too. A street elbow with a petcock would probably work as well. I'll get something figured out with a handful of fittings. I would have liked a petcock in the lower rad hose but it's such a tight angle in there and changes size from 1-1/2 to 1-1/4.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-05-2021, 05:06 PM
Wyo

1999 XJ Cherokee 

The only reason for a petcock back in the day was because you used water and you drained the engine frequently (Daily) for freeze protection and rust issues/
You will drain every 2-3 years and the 90 will pee straight down to the container but you can still fit a piece of 1/2" ID garden hose over the threads if you want.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-11-2021, 11:07 AM
BorkaBork

I used the brass petcock off a Volvo 240 redblock motor, fits perfectly and works much better. Has a hose-fitting end so no mess.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in