Best air intake system for 4.0 xj? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 11-23-2009, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
JeepinXJstyle
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Best air intake system for 4.0 xj?

I was wondering what air intake system is has a best power making and filtering capabilities and cooling capabilities?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 11-23-2009, 09:20 PM
Jason845

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinXJstyle View Post
I was wondering what air intake system is has a best power making and filtering capabilities and cooling capabilities?
Eek, run....

Just about everyone here is going to recommend a drop in OEM style paper filter that cost's $9.99 @ autozone.

2003 tj "x"
2002 vw golf DD
post #3 of 8 Old 11-23-2009, 09:36 PM
Chris_Walker

1988 XJ Cherokee 

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't much reason to blow $300 on a top of the line, name brand air intake system. A cheap aluminum intake pipe off with a good filter will be tons better than the accordion style rubber hose that comes stock. You won't find a filter with the best filtering capabilities and the best flow. It's like asking for a car with the most horsepower and the best fuel economy. You'll have to settle for either one or somewhere in the middle. A high quality drop in filter like Wix, will have the best filtration, while a K&N offers superior flow but lets more smaller particles through. Cotton filters like K&N also have to be oiled, but are cleanable. A good filter in-between the two would be something like the AEM Dryflow, it has a balance of flow and filtration, and doesn't need to be oiled, but is still cleanable with water and solution.

My friend has a K&N intake pipe (free from the junkyard), with an AEM Dryflow, and it makes the 4.0 sound a lot throatier with a noticeable increase in power.

post #4 of 8 Old 11-23-2009, 09:51 PM
DC4W-93XJ

1990 XJ Cherokee 

I've made a couple for friend's XJs.. all were out of 3" exhaust tubing and a fiber cone filter....

dont forget a place for the PCV hose.. fairly simple and very cheap..

THIS AIN'T YOUR MAMA'S STATION WAGON!!
Built Jeep Tough With Chevy Stuff
"Tater 2" '91 2 door XJ chopped and bobbed, 4.0, AW4, dana 300, GM 60/70HD, 40" IROKs on H1s

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 02:59 PM
Bmjames24
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Walker View Post

My friend has a K&N intake pipe (free from the junkyard), with an AEM Dryflow, and it makes the 4.0 sound a lot throatier with a noticeable increase in power.
Is he running the stock air box with the plastic or metal piping from K&N? Cause i've been hearing a lot of good things about the dryflow filter.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-28-2013, 04:47 PM
habbyguy
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Most of the "cold air intakes" are probably worse at breathing in hot engine air than the stock box, which at least tries to breathe from the front in our XJs, not the top. I opened up a hole in my radiator cowling to let more cool air in from ahead of the radiator - might have helped, certainly didn't hurt. I've seen all kinds of claims for "special" air cleaners and filters from the manufacturers, and a whole lot of them really don't stand up to any kind of scrutiny. Some people perceive a performance gain since they hear so much more intake noise from their motor that their butt dyno is fooled. Actual, dispassionate dyno testing generally shows either no improvement, or such a tiny one that it's impossible to even call it an improvement - or in many cases, worse performance than the original.

To add insult to injury, the oiled style filters can put a fine coating of oil on your MAF/MAP sensor and cause a real LOSS of performance, and some have been shown to allow a lot more grit into your motor. Also, the performance is linked directly to your ability to get just the right amount of oil on the filter - not too much (which can cause problems), and not too little (which also causes problems).

I do like the ram air concept, since you're pulling in actual cold outside air which CAN make a difference. But I don't think we're talking about that here. I'd say the best intake system you could buy is one that lets you plumb in cold air from outside the engine compartment, and then runs it through a non-oiled filter, even if there might be some infinitesimal loss of power compared to an oiled filter that could cause other issues. And if you buy a cheap intake system, you can afford new filters regularly for life (compared to the cost of some of the CAI systems on the market). Too many of us only change those air filters when they are brown, and way beyond used up. At the cost of gas today, you're better off changing the filters.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 06:07 AM
DNFJ

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If you want a real cold air intake (as cold is what gives you marginal gains), you need to either make a cowl intake (do a search to find out what that entails) or buy a snorkel for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'00 XJ Locked on 35s

Previous:
'00 TJ 2" on 33" Grabbers
'00 XJ 6.5" on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2" on 31" Baja Claws
'93 ZJ - Stock, Totaled
post #8 of 8 Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM
EvolutionXJ

1994 XJ Cherokee 

Yea most cold air intakes/short air intakes or whatever do more harm then good. Most stock intakes take air from outside ofbthe vehicle. While most aftermarket intakes have the end very close to the engine and not in a breathabke location. And cold air intake btw just means you get the temp air of outside. Which is always colder than how hot it gets under the hood. So just make sure you get one that is located to where it gets air from outside and isn't sucking in 300 degree air from under the hood

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in