Battery for '89 Cherokee needed - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Gremmy
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Battery for '89 Cherokee needed

Hi, what battery Ah are you running and is best for 1989 4 L petrol auto. Thanks.

Gremmy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 04:10 PM
2oldjeeps
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,271
over the years when i need a battery i get the biggest that will fit in the space and $ that fit my wallet. its not a big deal.
ex. ,hummer guys get real fussy about special batteries so i posted a pix of mine with my lawn tractor battery running it! started just fine...

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
2oldjeeps is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 08-17-2019, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
Gremmy
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
over the years when i need a battery i get the biggest that will fit in the space and $ that fit my wallet. its not a big deal.
ex. ,hummer guys get real fussy about special batteries so i posted a pix of mine with my lawn tractor battery running it! started just fine...
Thanks good to know... the Jeep has many gremlins and I need every amp or do I? Cranking the engine is laboured, idle is too slow, occasional severe misfires and the gearbox drops gear every 12 months. Also have to reach into the cowl to push the rod to select dip-main headlights.
Gremmy is offline  
 
post #4 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Gremmy
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
I cannot find the correct Ah number for battery for '89 4 litre petrol. What is the correct Ah? Thanks.
Gremmy is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 08:26 AM
Saudade
Registered User
1988 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: SoCal
Posts: 1,482
You can simply look it up on any autoparts website, like Autozone, Napa or O'Reilly. My 88 is a group size 58. 550 CCA is pretty standard. You can find batteries with more and less.
Saudade is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 09:21 AM
2oldjeeps
Registered User
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 1,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmy View Post
Thanks good to know... the Jeep has many gremlins and I need every amp or do I? Cranking the engine is laboured, idle is too slow, occasional severe misfires and the gearbox drops gear every 12 months. Also have to reach into the cowl to push the rod to select dip-main headlights.

fix the rest,batt will be fine

99wj,143,000 miles
00xj,177,000 miles
10hummer3,74,000 miles
98xj,130,000 miles
2oldjeeps is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Gremmy
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saudade View Post
You can simply look it up on any autoparts website, like Autozone, Napa or O'Reilly. My 88 is a group size 58. 550 CCA is pretty standard. You can find batteries with more and less.
Thanks!
Gremmy is offline  
post #8 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Gremmy
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2oldjeeps View Post
fix the rest,batt will be fine
Thanks. Anyone so how to increase idle, 350 at moment.
Gremmy is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 05:44 PM
JWELK
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ceiba
Posts: 1,072
Go to Walmart, look on the computer, choose the closest one that fits, put it in your cart pay and walk out. If you go to a super center, they will do all of the above except pay for it
JWELK is offline  
post #10 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 06:26 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 12,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremmy View Post
Thanks good to know... the Jeep has many gremlins and I need every amp or do I? Cranking the engine is laboured, idle is too slow, occasional severe misfires and the gearbox drops gear every 12 months. Also have to reach into the cowl to push the rod to select dip-main headlights.
Have you ever visited my website? You need to complete Tips 1,3,4, 5 and 10!!

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Jeep technical photos:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cruiser54 is offline  
post #11 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 09:58 PM
JWELK
Registered User
1999 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ceiba
Posts: 1,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Have you ever visited my website? You need to complete Tips 1,3,4, 5 and 10!!
Thanx, while I don't have one of that vintage, some interesting topics. What happened to the one on reducing wind noise? I've started installing sound deadening in the doors, tailgate and rear compartment panels. I've only done the rear panels and the driver side rear door. Can't tell much so far.
The engine compartment would be a big help, but I'm afraid it will cause it to heat up even more.
According to a sound app on Android, I'm running 50-60 db. Windows shut, A/C, radio, and S.O., off.
JWELK is offline  
post #12 of 14 Old 08-18-2019, 10:02 PM
cruiser54
Web Wheeler
 
cruiser54's Avatar
1990 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Prescott
Posts: 12,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWELK View Post
Thanx, while I don't have one of that vintage, some interesting topics. What happened to the one on reducing wind noise? I've started installing sound deadening in the doors, tailgate and rear compartment panels. I've only done the rear panels and the driver side rear door. Can't tell much so far.
The engine compartment would be a big help, but I'm afraid it will cause it to heat up even more.
According to a sound app on Android, I'm running 50-60 db. Windows shut, A/C, radio, and S.O., off.
I never did that one because the part needed is NLA.

Since you have a 99, you should already have that part.

And, you should have the better A pillar wind deflectors.
Attached Thumbnails
A pillar seals.jpg  

If you own a Renix Jeep, you must check this out:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


My Jeep technical photos:


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cruiser54 is offline  
post #13 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
Gremmy
Registered User
1989 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 118
I got a battery for 1989 4 litre auto in the post, it was supposed to fit. Did too once I stretched the negative cable and wedged a foam brick on top. Only half inch from the hood. I did have some extra long battery retaining fixings but they got lost years ago.
Gremmy is offline  
post #14 of 14 Old 09-17-2019, 09:39 PM
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler
 
BagusJeep's Avatar
1981 CJ7 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Bali
Posts: 6,973
An I6 turns over real easy so you do not need a lot. If you are in a cold zone then allow one CCA for every cubic inch of engine displacement, about 250 Amp CCA is sufficient for a working 4.0. If you got twice as much, even better. Cherokees run hot under the hood (I can barely open it on a hot day) and the heat will kill the battery faster than in other jeeps, they are hard pressed. the chemical reactions take place faster with heat (high school stuff) but this shortens the working life. An expensive battery versus regular change of cheaper battery, I would take the latter.

BagusJeep lives in Bali.

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1951 Willys CJ3A/MB/M38 - Little Willy
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome