Bad Jeep problems - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-14-2016, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Jachughesa
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Xj Bad Jeep problems

Hey everyone, about 4 months ago, i was driving to work, and my 1992 jeep XJ overheated. I later figured out that the radiator had a hole in it, so i replaced the radiator and water pump just to be safe. But now, four months later, i had to move it to my house from the lot i had it parked in. Whenever i drive the jeep, it has a hard time starting up, then it'll start, but then the whole car will shake from the engine i'm assuming. My jeep is able to get up to speeds around 50 mph, but the shaking gets pretty violent. Some people who were driving behind me said that they could see white smoke coming from my exhaust pipe. And whenever i would come to a stop, the engine will die. Does anyone have an idea to whats wrong with my jeep?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-14-2016, 05:19 PM
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
It's very possible that the overheat damaged the "head gasket" on the cylinder head on your Jeep. White smoke is a clue of burning coolant, which can be caused when the head gasket is compromised. Are you having to add antifreeze to the coolant reservoir on your Jeep?

Job #1 if this were my Jeep would be performing a simple compression test. It may very well tell the story. If you aren't able to perform this test yourself, take it to a trusted shop who can do this for you. Performing the test itself should not be that expensive. Ask the shop for their recommendations if you go this route.

The spec. for compression for the Jeep 4.0 is 120-150 psi, with no more than a 30 psi variation between cylinders.

Start here and post back the results and we can go from there and make further recommendations.

Good luck!

99 Cherokee, 4.0 AW4, NP242
Past Jeeps: 49 Willys, 81 Scrambler, 88 Comanche
Without "data", all you have is an opinion!

Tags
engine , engine failure , shake , shaking

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in