ARB air locker - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 06-10-2020, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

ARB air locker

Mods-feel free to move this if it is in the wrong place I had an ARB air locker installed in my 97 XJ back in 99 I believe. I removed the solenoid/air compressor combo several years ago due to installing the stock air cleaner in favor of the Rock It air tube and filter that I previously put on. I wrapped up the wiring harness and kept the air line installed in the locker. Today I went to see if I could mount the solenoid/ air compressor combo and there is some room with the stock air box. It will be cramped buy I think I can do it. Now the big question if anyone installed this there are several connections to make. I can connect the compressor wire to the wiring harness, I can connect the 2 wires to the solenoid and another connector but there is a big yellow 4 or so connector that goes somewhere and another connector I have no idea where that goes. I looked online and don't see the wiring harness I have. I see wiring diagrams but none that match.I know there is an inline fuse holder added to the mix that connects to the battery and I still have the switches mounted inside to control the only front locker. Anyone?

Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ purchased Sept 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2020, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Well I think I figured it out by myself. However due to no response and apparently no one has ever put an ARB in a front Dana 30 I will keep this to myself.

post #3 of 12 Old 06-28-2020, 07:34 PM
Pkauf123456
2003 TJ Wrangler 

An you elaborate on how and where you mounted the compressor? I am about to put lockers on my 98 XJ and havnít Figured out a good place to mount the compressor.

post #4 of 12 Old 07-02-2020, 09:52 AM
jim9006
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkauf123456 View Post
An you elaborate on how and where you mounted the compressor? I am about to put lockers on my 98 XJ and havnít Figured out a good place to mount the compressor.
Right where the ABS unit would be. Of-course if you have ABS already there... Well, I guess something else will have to be done. I can post a pic if you want.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-03-2020, 09:07 AM
Pkauf123456
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I would love to see the photos
post #6 of 12 Old 07-04-2020, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I had to remove the stock air box to mount the compressor. I use a air intake tube in its place.

post #7 of 12 Old 07-06-2020, 01:31 PM
jim9006
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkauf123456 View Post
I would love to see the photos
Here ya go.
Attached Thumbnails
ARBPump-Switches.jpg  
post #8 of 12 Old 07-08-2020, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

That's a new style compressor/solenoid. I have the old style which is much bigger.

post #9 of 12 Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 AM
jim9006
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
That's a new style compressor/solenoid. I have the old style which is much bigger.
It works, I've done both (new and old styles). Have you even tried it?
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2020, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Tried what the ARB? I would like you to post other pics where you go to the battery so I can see the connections.That is why I posted the thread originally but got slightly hijacked along the way.

post #11 of 12 Old 07-10-2020, 10:43 AM
jim9006
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by xjpete View Post
Tried what the ARB? I would like you to post other pics where you go to the battery so I can see the connections.That is why I posted the thread originally but got slightly hijacked along the way.
My post was in reply to Pkauf123456. I believe you said you figured it out so i thought you were good to go. I you still have the ARB wiring harness the the heaver red and black wires to the battery. The connections to the pump and solenoids should only plug in one way and are fool proof. I guess I dont understand what your trying to do.. Can you post pics?
post #12 of 12 Old 07-10-2020, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
xjpete

1997 XJ Cherokee 

I have a big yellow plug on mine. Is yours the same? I looked all over my Jeep to see where this goes. Finally I was able to figure out a relay plugs into the yellow female. Is yours anything like this set up? I figured the black and red goes to the battery with a fuseable link in between so that will pop if there is an issue. My switches inside have been there and if I plug them into the fuse box will work. My Jeep is battling the rust issue and I was thinking of selling it,but the ARB is not cheap to put in a vehicle so that factors in my cost and overall decision not to sell it.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in