Airbag light - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Airbag light

Alright, well starting yesterday the airbag light comes on and off randomly. I wasn't looking for it but I am 99.99% sure the other gauges didn't drop down when it happens (as happens with poor connections at the cluster). I know the temp gauge doesn't because I was watching it being that I was curious how warmed up it got on the short trip from my uncles to home just a few minutes ago (barely to 190 as it turns out).

Any ideas? It will stay on for up to 2 minutes or so, sometimes just for a few seconds, but its defiantly on more than off. Ill be sure to check and clean the connectors behind the cluster when I get the time, but I am not sure if that is the problem, as everything else on the dash seems to work fine at all times.

-Kevin

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-10-2010, 03:09 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Try the horn and cruise control when the light comes on. You either have the normal no-bus instrument cluster problem, or a clock spring problem if the horn and cruise don't work.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 18 Old 07-10-2010, 12:43 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Horn and cruise control seem to work fine.

The gauges definitely work, and I am not getting the no-bus error.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.

post #4 of 18 Old 07-10-2010, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
OK, ill spew some specifics on when the light is on from my mental log of going to see a movie and coming back.

On the way there, pretty much all the highway the light was off (5-8 minutes), but on the street from the highway to the theatre the light came on and off.

On the way back, it flickered on the way to the highway, and then stayed on for the first half, went off when I changed highways, and stayed off till I got off (using cruise control the whole way back) as soon as a pulled to a stop at the light at the exit, the airbag light came on. That light is a doosy, and the whole 5 mintues I sat there the light was on. But a half second after starting it flickered off, then on. Stayed on till I got up to 45, realized its a 35 zone now, and then kinda coasted to my street. Light turned off. Slowing down for the turn, at 15mph exactly it came back on, and then turned off when I got over 20.. and then slowing down to turn in my driveway it turned back on at exactly 15. And stayed on till I turned the jeep off.

That might not mean anything.. but it might, so I am telling it anyway. The light is bugging the crap out of me.

Is anything in the airbag system controlled by engine vacuum? Or could it be self checking, and at certain speeds it is having problems? While its highly unlikely, I don't want to somehow take an airbag to face for no reason, lol.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #5 of 18 Old 07-11-2010, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
bump

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #6 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
No other ideas, its bugging the crap out of me, lol.

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #7 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Apostle

2002 TJ Wrangler 

sounds like faulty wiring somewhere. trace the circuit, clean connections

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire
post #8 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 03:33 PM
dementedwombat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I've got an airbag light in mine too. It started flickering a while ago, and now it always stays on. I've had a "no bus" error once or twice, but only for a minute or two. There's probably a loose ground or something.

I look at it as an excuse to put on an aftermarket steering wheel .

Since I can't do pictures just go here:

post #9 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle View Post
sounds like faulty wiring somewhere. trace the circuit, clean connections
What circuit should I trace? What all is involved in the airbag system. I imagine there is a fuse somewhere, and the two airbags. There must be a g-sensor somewhere too. What connections involve the airbag system that I should check other than the 3 massive connectors. They can't be loose, they are bolted together.
I can take the gauges out again I guess too, and try and make sure the 2 connectors in the back of it stay seated, I still wouldn't think that would be the problem due to everything else dash related seems fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementedwombat View Post
I've got an airbag light in mine too. It started flickering a while ago, and now it always stays on. I've had a "no bus" error once or twice, but only for a minute or two. There's probably a loose ground or something.

I look at it as an excuse to put on an aftermarket steering wheel .
What like this one

Whats the steering wheel have to do with it?

Which connectors on the column go to the airbag? There were a bunch. I suppose one could be loose from when I removed the column during the evaporator install (Which is more of a ***** because there is a leak still in the damn system.. i need a shotgun.... although I think this leak is in the engine compartment, just need some dye to find it)

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #10 of 18 Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
dementedwombat
2000 XJ Cherokee 

I haven't actually put in an aftermarket yet, it's kind of low on my list of things to do right now. Right now I've got the stock one with an "american racing" cover I put on it ~3-4 years ago.

I would go for something about this style (if it didn't have that stupid "Drifting" logo on it):

Since I can't do pictures just go here:

post #11 of 18 Old 08-01-2010, 09:28 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
OK, cruise control and the horn doesn't work anymore, its definitly the clockspring.

I know they are not cheap, but do any of the parts stores carry them? My search of NAPA Autozone and Advance using all variations of clockspring has received 0 results. Is there anyplace but online or maybe a dealer to get them?

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Kettles; 08-03-2010 at 06:03 PM.
post #12 of 18 Old 08-03-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Bump? Where can I get a clockspring?

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #13 of 18 Old 08-04-2010, 01:50 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettles View Post
Where can I get a clockspring?
Use the Force Luke.

Google is your friend.

I have had good luck with junkyard clocksprings. RockAuto.com might have them. Any of the on-line Jeep parts departments like WholesaleMopar.com will give you a 30% discount.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-04-2010, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Kettles

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Use the Force Luke.

Google is your friend.

I have had good luck with junkyard clocksprings. RockAuto.com might have them. Any of the on-line Jeep parts departments like WholesaleMopar.com will give you a 30% discount.
OK, So parts stores dont carry them i guess that was my main question? Online or junkyard only part. Why are they so expensive they are just a ribbon cable thing aren't they?

You apparently have got them from a junkyard before, do you know what you paid for one?

Darn, the Pull-A-Part near me doesn't have anything newer than 97.

Maybe my dad will help with the price, I suppose the horn and airbag are fairly important features. This no horn thing is getting anoying, which is funny because I usually NEVER need it.

And 650 miles with no cruise is annoying too.

Thanks Tim!

_=====o000o
//__l_l_,\____\,____
l_--\_l__l_/--|lllll|
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)

Quote:
Quote:
post #15 of 18 Old 08-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Apostle

2002 TJ Wrangler 

If it really only is used for horn and airbag, wouldnt worry about it. horn can be bypassed and rigged to work.

but you should be able to get at parts stores, expensive though

"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in