Air shocks to rear for helping bad leaf springs? - JeepForum.com
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 07:26 AM Thread Starter
Serokee

Air shocks to rear for helping bad leaf springs?

Has anyone tried? My leafs are semi bad and bent straight.

I wonder is it good budget fix to but air shocks rear or is it worth of nothing? I dont tow so thats not problem

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 07:45 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Air shocks would be a waste of money. The shocks mounts are not sturdy enough for extended usage of air shocks.

If you are on a budget, why not try installing an add-a-leaf into the stock leaf springs. This will restore most or all of the spring arch and ride height. New leaf springs are not that expensive and can easily be installed in the driveway with basic hand tools.
JWELK and jtec like this.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 08:53 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A good budget fix is to replace your leaf springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4" coils with 1" spacers up front/Rancho shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/Black Magic brakes.
99' XJ /4.0L-AW4/ 5.5" lift / Rancho RS5000X shocks/33" DC Extreme country MTs. Jeep #18

post #4 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 09:17 AM Thread Starter
Serokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Air shocks would be a waste of money. The shocks mounts are not sturdy enough for extended usage of air shocks.

If you are on a budget, why not try installing an add-a-leaf into the stock leaf springs. This will restore most or all of the spring arch and ride height. New leaf springs are not that expensive and can easily be installed in the driveway with basic hand tools.
do you mean normal type add on leaf or those helper leafs?

Leaf springs are not cheap there, no salvage springs and shipping costs usa to europe is high.

Upper shock mount is not problem, i do new ones because ive read lots of problems to replacing those upper bolts
post #5 of 6 Old 04-05-2020, 09:34 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Use a full length add-a-leaf, either a new part, or a suitable used part from an automotive salvage yard or an on-line forum for selling used items.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 6 Old 04-10-2020, 08:05 AM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The problem with air shocks is the tendency to over-inflate them. That makes them too hard and then things break. I know this first hand. So on my XJ I used the coil-over shocks. They have helper springs around them that take the strain off the leaf springs. My springs are old but the body sat OK until I loaded up or trailered something, then they sank. So I really need new springs but I could not spare the time to undertake that job just yet. The coil-overs have worked well. Contrary to the posted warnings I have had no damage to the mounts or body so far after two years.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in