After Front Brake job pulling to right - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-11-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
cyberdyke
1999 TJ Wrangler 

After Front Brake job pulling to right

Howdy all,
I just replaced my rotors and brake pads on the front disk brakes, now when I'm doing 30mph to 40mph braking regular, not slamming on the brakes, vehicle pulls to the right.
(disclaimer I've never changed the brake fluid - its the next thing on my list.)

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-11-2019, 08:05 PM
Michaelj51
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Besides not having a garage or covered car port and living the the wet PNW... ^^^ This is why I have professionals do my brakes, Les Schwab for me.
post #3 of 6 Old 12-12-2019, 12:32 AM Thread Starter
cyberdyke
1999 TJ Wrangler 

I borrowed a friend's garage, saved myself $200 bucks.

post #4 of 6 Old 12-12-2019, 12:52 AM
Gallent

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
brake problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdyke View Post
Howdy all,
I just replaced my rotors and brake pads on the front disk brakes, now when I'm doing 30mph to 40mph braking regular, not slamming on the brakes, vehicle pulls to the right.
(disclaimer I've never changed the brake fluid - its the next thing on my list.)

Thoughts?

I would check the adjustment and condition of the rear brakes, could be the right rear is grabbing.. now that you have new brakes on the front, your brake fluid is fuller, and "could" be the issue.
post #5 of 6 Old 12-13-2019, 10:23 PM
Rob K
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Right side could be sticking or left side could be not braking enough. Both cases would cause pulling to the right.

Sounds like you didn't have the problem before you touched the front brakes. That's where I would start looking. You have new rotors and pads so the next likely suspect is the calipers. Did you do anything with them? At a minimum you should always grease the slide bolts. If it's been 2-3 years since the grease has been checked I make it a point to do so when I rotate tires. Also look at the condition of the caliper. If rust creeps into the piston area they can not extend or retract properly or they could seize. Bleeding the caliper is also a good idea when doing a brake job in case there is any trapped air inside. The calipers are likely the same age and in similar condition. It's a good idea to always inspect and or service the calipers when you do a brake job. Also replace both sides if you need to replace one side. Make sure the pads can move freely in their slots also.

Here's the calipers on my KK. I refurbish them this fall. My XJ brakes need attention also. Never enough time. Overall they look pretty good except some rust creeped into the piston seal causing them to seize. Just so you know it doesn't take much to screw up the operation of the piston. Lastly is my show off photo of my refurb.

I wish you luck.
Attached Thumbnails
20190819_183518.jpg   20190410_161205.jpg   20190831_170207.jpg  
post #6 of 6 Old 12-14-2019, 12:18 PM
Mrtoyou
2001 XJ Cherokee 

When you say "just" replaced the first thing that comes to mind is oil or grease contamination on one of the rotors. Typically rotors are shipped coated with an anti-rust coating that must be cleaned off before use. Did you clean the rotors with brake cleaner before driving? In any case the contamination will wear off within a few miles.

Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary, that's what gets you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in