AC system removal - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Fourspeedman

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Groovystar

AC system removal

So I just brought home a 91 Cherokee 4.0. Really good condition for an all Florida Jeep. The A/C doesn't work. Fan blows good. I'm thinking of removing the A/C system to make a little more room for engine activities. Has anybody ever done this and did you have any issues removing it or after? I was told that the ultimate remedy to get it working again would be a complete system replacement. TIA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 04:07 PM
car6car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovystar View Post
So I just brought home a 91 Cherokee 4.0. Really good condition for an all Florida Jeep. The A/C doesn't work. Fan blows good. I'm thinking of removing the A/C system to make a little more room for engine activities. Has anybody ever done this and did you have any issues removing it or after? I was told that the ultimate remedy to get it working again would be a complete system replacement. TIA
AC problems have to be diagnosed first, usually it is one problem. Most likely, it is easier to repair AC than remove components.
Only once I had to fix about 7 AC problems, but it was 84 Corvette. I installed heater valve from some Dodge.

04 Grand (dead)
post #3 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 04:15 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I used to yank the AC out of any car that it did not work. Then I wised up and learned about AC. There is only one moving part: the compressor. It is the usual culprit. It is not hard to learn but the tools are the real answer. You simply cannot work on AC without a good set of gauges. Then a vacuum pump for removing moisture. A digital postal scale for adding the correct amount of freon. Everything else is just "O" rings.
Cutlass327 likes this.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones

post #4 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 05:10 PM
Mrtoyou

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
I used to yank the AC out of any car that it did not work. Then I wised up and learned about AC. There is only one moving part: the compressor. It is the usual culprit. It is not hard to learn but the tools are the real answer. You simply cannot work on AC without a good set of gauges. Then a vacuum pump for removing moisture. A digital postal scale for adding the correct amount of freon. Everything else is just "O" rings.

This!

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand anyway!
post #5 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 07:39 PM
car6car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourspeedman View Post
everything is pretty easy except evaporator replacement.
Did you start repairing house AC yet?

04 Grand (dead)
post #6 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 08:27 PM
Fourspeedman

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have never had a house AC go bad. Noisy, but they work. Cars, always. So I got 609 certified for mobile systems.

Mark in Queens- Home of Spiderman and the Ramones
post #7 of 9 Old 01-20-2020, 08:49 PM
Cutlass327
Web Wheeler

1978 CJ5 

Accumulator/drier system with an orifice tube, simple to fix. Expansion valve system with a drier, still easy, but can trick you. I don't remember what system they use on those ones.

I'd fix it. Nothing beats having A/C on a hot humid day.

Rick

1978 CJ5 5.0HO/T177/D300, '86 D30/D44 WT axles, 'glass body, 31x10.5 BFG A/T, TDK galv'd frame - DD and weekend toy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 07:49 AM
car6car

Let us say every part of your AC is bad. The only part you need to drive your Jeep is compressor bearing. (about $15 and you can probably install it w/o removing compressor.

04 Grand (dead)
post #9 of 9 Old 01-22-2020, 09:11 AM
Saudade
1988 XJ Cherokee 

If you wanted to remove it, you can swap the compressor out for the AC Bypass pulley.

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-19728-34171.aspx

I would fix the AC.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in