AC issue- compressor not engaging - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 71 Old 08-30-2010, 03:41 PM
phmaris
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Mine is doing the exact same thing! Only thing is, now I have no cold air coming out anymore.

I think my freon has leaked out somewhere since having it refilled. Probably the dreaded evaporator!! I have read somewhere that when it cycles a lot it is because the freon is low.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 71 Old 08-30-2010, 08:16 PM
john NC

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
My 97 XJ did the same thing, and stopped after a top off of freon.
gave it maybe 10 seconds worth of freon and it's now running like a champ

i have some pictures of my own i'll post when i get them off my camera

really easy job, took MAYBE half an hour
post #63 of 71 Old 09-02-2010, 04:37 PM
tommy69z

I just LOVE the internet and google....I had done decided the clutch was weak and anew or used compressor was the fix...Thanks guys!!!!

post #64 of 71 Old 09-08-2010, 03:56 PM
john NC

2000 XJ Cherokee 

ehhhh definitely a leak somewhere. compressor cycling again. i'm gonna have to have a shop test for leaks and evacuate it and refill the system. i'm not putting any more r134 in there, especially since i know the compressor's not shot
post #65 of 71 Old 09-08-2010, 06:54 PM
dagr8tim
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by john NC View Post
ehhhh definitely a leak somewhere. compressor cycling again. i'm gonna have to have a shop test for leaks and evacuate it and refill the system. i'm not putting any more r134 in there, especially since i know the compressor's not shot
If the compressor's good and there of the system is shot. Me thinks this is a good time for OBA.

Jeeping - The art of getting dirty & going broke while slowly heading nowhere, and taking all day to do it.

97 XJ SE - The War Wagon
98 TJ SE - Mall Crawler/Light Trail Rig
06 KJ Sport - Basic Transportation
post #66 of 71 Old 09-10-2010, 01:21 PM
john NC

2000 XJ Cherokee 

i would except i'm building/repairing this xj for my dad and he says he's "too old not to have ac" lol
post #67 of 71 Old 08-19-2011, 06:56 AM
kevhenn

I just took apart as you said and I only find one shim? Could the other two have been removed or buried in the Plate? I guess put it back with no shims?
post #68 of 71 Old 07-20-2014, 04:40 PM
gomezgee
2001 WJ 

sorry to reopen quite an old thread but I have searched high and low and cant seem to find the answers I need, so I hope someone can help!

I have a 2001 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4.0, a/c stopped blowing cold the other day, now only blows warm to hot air, bought a can of AC Pro refrigerant thinking that may be the issue, its one that says it stops leaks and has a gauge as well.

Following the directions on the can I checked the system through the low pressure port, while car was on and a/c was on full blast cold setting, pressure was low and I noticed that the compressor was not engaging, as I started filling the system up to the maximum point as guided by the gauge settings, the compressor now engages however it is not on constantly, it starts and stops spinning consistently though, is that normal, or should it be spinning the whole time while the a/c is on?
post #69 of 71 Old 07-31-2014, 03:47 PM
Double E
Web Wheeler

2004 WJ 

A bump for you gomez... who has the best knowledge on this?

'04 Freedom Edition HO & '04 Overland HO (previous '00 Laredo 4.7)
post #70 of 71 Old 07-31-2014, 08:15 PM
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Compressors can and will cycle depending on charge level, outside air temp, and cabin temp.

AZ-Jeff
I don't own an XJ any longer, but I still think they are the best of all the Jeep products ever made. My XJ was my favorite vehicle in my 50+ years of driving.
So...I stick around and give advice.
post #71 of 71 Old 02-24-2015, 07:50 PM
Emz

Hey all;;

I recently noticed that my serpentine belt is just slipping over my compressor pulley. It's not seized as I can spin it with my hand it just is not engaging.

Am I really messing up my serpentine belt this way? How dangerous is this?

It's winter so I haven't used and won't need the a/c for a few more months so it's not an immediate concern of mine unless it's unsafe or damaging my belt.

I should be able to drive it down to my buddy's place and have him look at it soon but-- is it ok to drive it like this? Everything else is in working order and the engine temp is regular even at a steady 80mph... unless my temp gauge is broken haha.

Thanks for the help I know I'm receiving this topic from the dead probably.

Tags
air conditioning , compressor , ac , engage

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in