AC Compressor Oil/amount - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 07-27-2015, 07:35 PM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

AC Compressor Oil/amount

What is the oil amount/type on Ac compressor for a 98 4.0.? I believe 4 oz and Pag 100. Not having much luck with these napa rebuild compressors. just removed the 2nd compressor in 2 1/2 years. The front seal leaked on both of them. First one lasted 2 years and 2nd 4 months. Followed directions for getting the front seal oiled. Going with a brand new one now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-28-2015, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

No responses? Did I do something wrong???
post #3 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 05:03 AM
SemperFiGuy
1980 CJ5 

Should be amount and type right on the comp itself where the nameplate sticker is. Each one is different based upon manufacturer.

post #4 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 06:00 AM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

4 oz. and PAG100 is correct.
post #5 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

The Napa guy said 8 oz and I looked it up on line and found that it said 8 oz pag 100 also.
post #6 of 13 Old 07-29-2015, 11:18 AM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobgto View Post
The Napa guy said 8 oz and I looked it up on line and found that it said 8 oz pag 100 also.
The entire system holds 8.1 ounces, not the compressor.

Before servicing a new/rebuilt compressor, drain all the oil out of it then add the 4 ounces of PAG100.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 PM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

When I originally installed the first compressor, I replaced the accumulator/drier and orifi's .Also flushed the system as best as I could. But I only added 4 oz of oil. Maybe that is the problem,there was not enough oil??? But I guess you never get all the oil out, some stays in the condenser. And my point being is when I took this last compressor off there was dye in the oil. I have not used dye with any of these compressor changes,but I did use it 10 years ago when I changed out the evaporator.So flushing did not get the dye out and probably some oil.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-31-2015, 03:21 PM
CCKen
Web Wheeler

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
When I originally installed the first compressor, I replaced the accumulator/drier and orifi's .Also flushed the system as best as I could. But I only added 4 oz of oil. Maybe that is the problem,there was not enough oil??? But I guess you never get all the oil out, some stays in the condenser. And my point being is when I took this last compressor off there was dye in the oil. I have not used dye with any of these compressor changes,but I did use it 10 years ago when I changed out the evaporator.So flushing did not get the dye out and probably some oil.
Did you flush the evaporator and the condenser and blow them out with compressed air? Generally that's the protocol when replacing all of those components you mentioned.

I replaced everything in my system except the evaporator. When I did, I flushed the evaporator, blew it out, the added 4 ounces of PAG 100 (with dye) to the accumulator and 4 ounces to the compressor. Took the Heep to an auto AC shop and had it serviced. First time I've had COLD air-conditioning in five years.
post #9 of 13 Old 08-03-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I blew out evaporator and condenser out with nitrogen. But It seemed that there was still oil/dye in the condenser. From talking to people, it seems that the rebuilt compressors have issues.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-04-2015, 04:26 PM
muddflow
1995 ZJ 

Cherokee specifications for 98 XJ.
-----------------------------------
Oil/Onces - 8.1
R-134a / Ounces - 20.0

Compressor belt tension
--------------------------
New - 180-200 lbs.
Used - 140-160 lbs.

System Operating Pressures
------------------------------
High Side - 200-260 PSI
Low Side - 32-41 PSI

___________ misc. notes

Polyalkylene Glycol (PAG) ND-8, SUN PAG 56, SP-20
PAG oil absorbs moisture very rapidly, 2.3-5.6 percent by weight compared to R-12's mineral oil absorption rate of .005 percent.
Never exceed A/C system refrigerant oil capacity when servicing

Always use new gasket or "O" ring when connecting lines or fittings, Coat "O" ring with refrig. oil. Use two wrenches and keep oil off fitting threads. Long term contact of oil on threads may cause future damage to threads.

Sanden SD-7H15 7-Clyinder oil capacities (ounces)

Accumulator ______ 4.0
Compressor _______ (* same amount as old compressor)
Condenser_________ 1.0
Evaporator ________ 2.0
Refrigerant Line_____ 1.0
System Total _______ 8.1

* Drain and measure oil from old compressor. Drain new oil from replacement compressor and save. Using new refrigerant oil drained from new compressor, add the same amount drained from old compressor.

If replacing A/C components, add specified amounts of refrigerant oil to each component.

A/C systems normally will not need additional refrigerant oil unless oil loss has occurred due to ruptured lines, leaking compressor seals, compressor overhaul or component replacement.

Never use R-134a in in-combination with compresses air for leak testing.

All R-134a based A/C systems use 1/2" - 16 ACME thread fittings (square threads) and quick-connect service ports
post #11 of 13 Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Thank You Muddflow!
post #12 of 13 Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 PM
muddflow
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Thank You Muddflow!

I've only used A/C a few times, when it was working.

I wrote down a few notes to attempt to work on AC. Then decided to remove the compressor to free up space for filters and other equipment. Kept the condenser installed to protect the radiator from rocks, debris, etc.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-10-2015, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
bobgto
1998 XJ Cherokee 

I found that the new compressor had 8 ounces of oil in it?? The label on the compressor said to add oil and not to drain oil that was shipped with compressor. I guess someone at the factory made a mistake. I drained it all and added 4 Oz of new oil.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in