99 xj towing help - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Thortheterrible
1999 XJ Cherokee 

99 xj towing help

Hi I'm trying to figure out if it is safe to tow a uhaul 8x4 trailer behind my xj for around 1,100 miles from Colorado Springs, CO to Post Falls, ID up and down some hills and over a small pass. What are some things I should do to my xj besides the obvious fluid changes and general maintenance. My xj has a 3 inch rough county add-a-leaf kit, it is a manual, and has a 4.0L.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also this is my first post I joined this morning (8 May) so I hope everything is in the proper forum and such thanks again!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 09:02 AM
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The size of the trailer is definitely not an issue, but what do you plan to load it down with? I drove my '00 XJ (lifted similar to yours) over 2,000 miles from Vermont to Texas towing a 5X10' uhaul loaded with all my bride's worldly possessions. Didn't have any issues at all, aside from some routine over-heating due to some issues with my electric fan that I already knew about.

That's what these cherokees are made for! You got plenty of power and they tow real nice.

__

00 White XJ
32" DuraTracs
3.5" OME lift (HD coils and leafs)
Currie HD track bar & RE quick discos
OME HD steering stabilizer
IRO adjustable UCAs and LCAs
AIRAID intake, 60" safari rack
post #3 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
Thortheterrible
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Haha awesome thanks a lot that's great to hear! I'm just packing the normal stuff clothes, dishes, a desk, a TV stand, and other odds and ends nothing crazy. I've just got a few questions for ya.

How fast could you go? I'm just a little worried about slowing traffic and such.
How was braking was it pretty sketchy or decently normal?
And how were hills I'm just worried about looking like a semi and another car flying around one of the turns in the pass and flying off a cliff or something lol.

Thanks for the info tho! I feel better about saving money by towing instead of renting a truck!

post #4 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 10:35 AM
EarsOfLeather

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thortheterrible View Post
Haha awesome thanks a lot that's great to hear! I'm just packing the normal stuff clothes, dishes, a desk, a TV stand, and other odds and ends nothing crazy. I've just got a few questions for ya.

How fast could you go? I'm just a little worried about slowing traffic and such.
How was braking was it pretty sketchy or decently normal?
And how were hills I'm just worried about looking like a semi and another car flying around one of the turns in the pass and flying off a cliff or something lol.

Thanks for the info tho! I feel better about saving money by towing instead of renting a truck!

All things considered, braking wasn't too bad. No trailer brakes (just make sure your lights are hooked up), so you obviously don't want to attempt it if you're in need of a brake job to begin with. Otherwise just be observant and give yourself a little extra time to stop. Pretty manageable. I think we cruised at around 60 most of the way just to keep it reasonable, but those trailers are really rated for about 55-60 mph because they're just a dinky single-axle.

Hills will slow you down a little bit, and on mountain passes you'll want to watch your temp gauge and just be smart about it. Cherokees like to overheat because the engine compartment doesn't really lend itself to generous airflow.

As long as you don't take unnecessary risks you'll be completely fine.

_

00 White XJ
32" DuraTracs
3.5" OME lift (HD coils and leafs)
Currie HD track bar & RE quick discos
OME HD steering stabilizer
IRO adjustable UCAs and LCAs
AIRAID intake, 60" safari rack
post #5 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 02:32 PM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thortheterrible View Post
Hi I'm trying to figure out if it is safe to tow a uhaul 8x4 trailer behind my xj for around 1,100 miles from Colorado Springs, CO to Post Falls, ID up and down some hills and over a small pass. What are some things I should do to my xj besides the obvious fluid changes and general maintenance. My xj has a 3 inch rough county add-a-leaf kit, it is a manual, and has a 4.0L.

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated!

Also this is my first post I joined this morning (8 May) so I hope everything is in the proper forum and such thanks again!
I haul a 2-ton RV all over the texas hill country in my '01. Wouldn't want to do mountains though. It really depends on the weight involved, your stopping distances will go up, if it's heavy you'll have a trans cooler. Keep an eye on temps and I'd stop after the first few hundred miles and check the trans dipstick for any sign of burning fluid.

Brake with the trans downhill if you don't want to cherry your rotors.

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 8 Old 05-08-2015, 04:14 PM
Ferryman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

As stated by others temperature control is your main issue.
All components of your coolingsystem must be top shape when towing, including the mechanical fan.
As for going uphill, don't wait with shifting down (it's a manual?) until revs drop.
Try not to come below 2000 rpm when going up, it lets your waterpump spin fast.
As for going downhill, try to let the engine do the braking and only apply the pedal short and firmly.
Oh, and don't let them make you scared, enjoy the trip!
post #7 of 8 Old 05-09-2015, 10:24 AM
bluejunior

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejunior View Post

I haul a 2-ton RV all over the texas hill country in my '01. Wouldn't want to do mountains though. It really depends on the weight involved, your stopping distances will go up, if it's heavy you'll have a trans cooler. Keep an eye on temps and I'd stop after the first few hundred miles and check the trans dipstick for any sign of burning fluid.

Brake with the trans downhill if you don't want to cherry your rotors.
It's worth noting that I've done small uhauls in the past and barely noticed they were there except during braking and that not as bad as you'd think. If it's largely furniture (mostly airspace) you'll likely be completely fine. Just try to load the trailer evenly. XJ's do not like a lot of weight on the tongue and if the front of the trailer is heavy it'll make the effects on your steering and braking worse

Lifted, Locked, Stiffened

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-09-2015, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Thortheterrible
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Sweet thanks again everyone I'll probably plan to change out my coolant, I don't know if it was ever done in its 211k mi life. I know my fans are in good shape I made sure of that as my last xj, a 92 would overheat on some moderate trails w/o the electric fan. I also feel I should rebuild my tranny I know the syncros are going out 1st and R are a pain sometimes I have to do the 3rd 4th shuffle and slam it in gear which is fine on trails just not so much as far as hauling goes I'd assume. My clutch is going as well so that's just one more thing on the list but after all that I should be set.

Anyways thanks everyone for your input I really appreciate it, it really puts my mind at ease knowing I'm not going to have to spend over $1000 on a truck/trailer and at the at the same get an excuse to work on the jeep lol.

Tags
modifications , towing , trailer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in